Diagnosing an Internet connection problem

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#26 snorkler

snorkler

Aperture Aficionado

• Loc: Bay Area, California

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:37 PM

Do you have access to another stand alone router? If so, you can call AT&T and have them disable their router so you can use the external one.

No, I cannibalized my old router for its antenna, installing that in my MK808 mini-PC.

I checked my hosts file, and it's a normal Win 7 hosts file, with all lines rem'd out, and no suspicious entries. I opened it in Notepad, and it doesn't appear corrupted.

What can my ISP or a different router do to fix this issue? It appears to be a simple case of the hosting or target site blocking my IP address.

#27 snorkler

snorkler

Aperture Aficionado

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:53 PM

Do you have access to another stand alone router? If so, you can call AT&T and have them disable their router so you can use the external one.

No, I cannibalized my old router for its antenna, installing that in my MK808 mini-PC.

I checked my hosts file, and it's a normal Win 7 hosts file, with all lines rem'd out, and no suspicious entries. I opened it in Notepad, and it doesn't appear corrupted.

What can my ISP or a different router do to fix this issue? It appears to be a simple case of the hosting or target site blocking my IP address.

#28 bicparker

bicparker

Vanguard

• Loc: Texas Hill Country

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:18 AM

Darrell,
My first thought was a DNS error. In this case, the DNS server that you are using (or being assigned by the ISP) isn't resolving that address properly.

An easy way to test this is to manually assign a known and good DNS server (and secondary DNS server) in your connection configuration. Additionally, I would clear your browser cache. Resetting your router is probably a good idea, too. It is important that you do all 3, not just one at a time, because bad data in any one spot (router, cache, dns server) can cause a bad connection.

I did read that Chrome does use an aggressive pre-fetching scheme for retrieving websites (which I think you can turn off). This could make the DNS out of synch if it s trying to resolve page data using a local cache of data that is not correct.

Anyhow, this may not work, but this is one of the first things I would always check in the event of troubles with connecting to web sites. It is kind of like checking if the device is plugged in for web browsers. Once you eliminate this error, then it is easier to narrow down where the problem is.

#29 snorkler

snorkler

Aperture Aficionado

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:58 AM

I can't communicate with my router right now, David, so I can't assign a known reliable DNS server. When I was pinging and tracing the route, all paths led to alchemy.com returning the "destination net unreachable" message.

#30 BigRyan

BigRyan

Sputnik

• Loc: Texas

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:33 PM

You can set DNS server IP's in Windows.

#31 BigRyan

BigRyan

Sputnik

• Loc: Texas

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:48 PM

What we need is someone with the same net range IP as yours to try the site so we can see if the net range is blocked. I know on my server in the past I have had hacking attempts from IP's outside the US and I have block entire net ranges from RIPE network. You could fall inside of a net range that is blocked on the server. As you said, a proxy works.

#32 snorkler

snorkler

Aperture Aficionado

Posted 01 September 2013 - 05:53 PM

Update: I'm volunteering in Bryce Canyon National Park for month of September, and won't be able to troubleshoot the problem until October. Thanks to all of you who responded!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics