Tuthill Isostatic mount

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 BilboTC2

BilboTC2

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 21 August 2013 - 02:32 PM

Hi all, I have an older Celestron C8 classic that I purchased from Roger Tuthill here in NJ. He lived one town over. At the time of the purchase he suggested that I use his Isostatic mount tripod. It didn't need the wedge. Well now I'd like to tinker a little and first off was wondering if anybody had any documentation of how to properly use the Isostatic, Second if it's a lost cause was thinking about mounting the optical tube on an EQ goto drive. Any and all suggestions welcome....and thanks in advance

Billy

#2 TennDon

TennDon

Sputnik

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:48 PM

Hi all, I have an older Celestron C8 classic that I purchased from Roger Tuthill here in NJ. He lived one town over. At the time of the purchase he suggested that I use his Isostatic mount tripod. It didn't need the wedge. Well now I'd like to tinker a little and first off was wondering if anybody had any documentation of how to properly use the Isostatic, Second if it's a lost cause was thinking about mounting the optical tube on an EQ goto drive. Any and all suggestions welcome....and thanks in advance

Billy

Can't help you with theTuthill mount.
If you want to go the goto eq route I suggest the following URL http://uncle-rods.bl...-deforked.html?

He talks about the CG5 GT mount but I think the new AVX would be a very good substitute.

Don

#3 BilboTC2

BilboTC2

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 23 August 2013 - 02:33 PM

Thanks Don....that's the answer I was looking for. At least about the de-forking

#4 TxStars

TxStars

Apollo

• Loc: Lost In Space

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:56 PM

The Tuthill Isostatic tripod is like a tripod/wedge combo.
You raise or lower the south facing leg to get your latitude set.
http://www.cloudynig...5192508/Main...
http://www.cloudynig...p?product=67830

#5 tim53

tim53

Cosmos

• Loc: Highland Park, CA

Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:31 AM

Before you defork your C-8, what condition is it in and what accessories does it have?

The Tuthill accessories were first-rate in their day.

-Tim.

#6 greedyshark

greedyshark

Viking 1

• Loc: 3rd Rock

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:15 PM

I have the Iso mount and love it. Wouldn't trade it for the world.

Charles

#7 Geo.

Geo.

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:34 AM

Got'ta love Roger's funnies. The Isostatic mount always gets comments at star parties. No reason you can't put a Nexstar 8 on it if you want goto:grin:

I aways worry about the plastic parts failing, but I've figured out how to cast scrap HDPE. Currently restoring the polar finder. Past owner let the scope get rusty.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics