•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

A Question About My CG-3

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Louietheflyisme

Louietheflyisme

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:19 AM

Hi Everyone,

The fine adjustment knob things on my CG-3 are very stiff and also slip sometimes. Is there a way that I can maybe grease them so they don't move so jumpily and move smoother? I was thinking maybe vaseline but wanted to ask someone here first.

Thanks,

Louis

#2 Geo.

Geo.

Soyuz

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:36 AM

The slomotion controls? Synta made GEMs are famous for sticky grease. Used to be black goo. Now they seem to be using a heavy silicone that's very much like Dow's high vacuum grease. You can tear it down, clean it out best you can are relube with a lighter grease. Also the mesh of the worm gear is too tight when new, before the gears have worn themselves to a better fit. You can lap them with a mild abrasive (I use a bicarb slurry and a battery operated drill motor).

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics