• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 dmdouglass

dmdouglass

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tempe, AZ

Posted 22 August 2013 - 12:03 PM

Well, the dates are getting closer, so it is probably about time to post a reminder. This year, the All Arizona Star Party (AASP) will be Oct 4-5, and is being held at the same location.

So where is that? Well..
Hovatter Airstrip Site (South of I-10 and Hovatter Rd [Exit 53])
N 33° 34' 50" W 113° 35' 53"
Elevation: 1,378 ft. or about 420 m

Some people come a few days early, and some stay a few days late. All are welcome! There are no "fees" for attending.

Details can be found here:
http://evaconline.org/aasp_2013.htm

#2 DavidC

DavidC

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Mesa, Arizona

Posted 22 August 2013 - 02:27 PM

And the East Valley Astronomy Club will have some of the best $5.00 chili or lasagna anywhere around, (especially since we will be 90 miles away off I-10 west) and a raffle for great multiple prizes. I believe the cost $1.00 per ticket, or 6 for $5.00. I'm not exactly sure what we will have for a grand prize yet. Plus some of the best skies in Arizona to observe from. See ya there, maybe Kevin will be able to come out and bring his great selection of Lundt solar scopes.
David

#3 hm insulators

hm insulators

Aurora

• -----

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:00 PM

I'll try to get there!

#4 stevecoe

stevecoe

"Astronomical Tourist"

• Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:07 AM

David, et al;

Looking forward to a fun time.

Steve Coe

#5 Tom Clark

Tom Clark

Viking 1

• Loc: North of Deming, NM

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:05 PM

Since we live in SW New Mexico I called and emailed my buddy Steve Coe to ask if we could come, but he ignored me - so we are coming anyway. (Steve is probably at 5 Mile Meadow where there is no cell or internet.) Bringing along several friends from The New Mexico Astronomy Village with us.

I have camped at The Antennas Site before. It is a beautiful place and very dark.

Attached Files

#6 DavidC

DavidC

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Mesa, Arizona

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:44 PM

Yes, Tom you and your friends are more than welcome to come! About that time of year the Wx will hopefully be starting to settle down and feel more decent, and the nights should be great. There's room out there for lots of observers.
David

#7 maknewtnut

maknewtnut

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:54 PM

I'm certainly going to try to attend, even with being torn by possibly missing Enchanted Skies, which I've missed for years. This one is just too close to home to ignore...and beaucoup dark to boot!

#8 stevecoe

stevecoe

"Astronomical Tourist"

• Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:55 PM

Would I ignore you...well, maybe.

Yes, I was getting rained on at the meadow, Lynn and I got exactly 3 hours of observing in 10 nights. Crazy, man, crazy.

The AASP is near but not exactly at the same spot as the Antennas. Take the same Hovatter Road exit and drive south just over the Central Arizona Project canal. Take a left turn immediately that means you will NOT pass the Antennas in the distance.

Drive about half a mile and turn right onto Vinegaroon Road. Again, about half a mile will get you through a rather gentle wash and a left turn that has a bizarre square of chain link fence that encloses nothing. Drive along for a quarter of a mile and there will be the intersection of two dirt runways that are the cardinal points of the compass. We generally set up at the far end on the north (left) side. I plan to be there by Sept. 30. Looking forward to seeing you folks there. AJ calls it the "Hovatter Airport";0)

I just arrived at the Wickenburg RV park.

Clear skies to us all;
Steve Coe

#9 dmdouglass

dmdouglass

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tempe, AZ

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:59 AM

Steve's description (above) is good, but some people do get confused between the two locations. Here is a map we use to show the location. The original site used by SAC for dark sky observing is in the lower left of the picture (Orange marker). The AASP (and AAMM) site is the red "star" in the lower right.

Hope that helps.

Attached Files

#10 Tom Clark

Tom Clark

Viking 1

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:18 PM

Only two weeks to go!

Just wondering how many are planning to attend?

Seven of us from the Silver City and Deming are are arriving about 10/1. Scopes include two 24s and a 28. Looking forward to some good skies…

#11 Dwight56

Dwight56

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 02 October 2013 - 04:33 PM

Two day's to go to one of the best Star Parties in Az, :smirk: I plan to be there Friday and Saturday night. :jump:

Dwight

#12 Tom Clark

Tom Clark

Viking 1

Posted 02 October 2013 - 05:18 PM

First On-Site Report

Last night was probably one of those nights that folks who have lived in AZ or NM may be quite used to, but for those of use who have recently moved to the western US, it was a night dreams are made. The super low humidity, fabulous transparency, and very steady air all helped to provide a night dreams are made.

The forecast remains the same for the rest of the week! Our little group stayed up late into the wee hours, even though most were tired from the drive. We observed hundreds of objects - everything from old favorites to even going for new objects never observed before. The night was just that good. Dare we call it a perfect night? Not quite. The SQM measured 21.6, but with the excellent seeing one could just not ask for much more.

The best part is we still have four more nights of observing before we have to leave to head back home. We certainly look forward to the rest of the week…

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics