Sky Safari ---> Servo Cat connection

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• Loc: Toronto, Ontario

Posted 22 August 2013 - 01:28 PM

Simple question. Where do I plug in my Sky Wire from my iPad to my Servo Cat? I'm using Sky Commander for initial align.....

72 hours on S.S.'s Yahoo Group gets no reply on this question..... :question:

Thanks

Dave

#2 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Prescott, AZ

Posted 23 August 2013 - 12:18 AM

Have you tried Gary at StellarCAT?

#3 astrodevices

astrodevices

Vendor-Astro Devices

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:37 AM

Dave,

You connect SkyWire to 'PC Port' on ServoCAT if you have Gen 1/2 (non-USB). With the Gen 3 (USB version of ServoCAT) you cannot use SkyWIre.

Best Regards,
Serge.

#4 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• Loc: Toronto, Ontario

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:55 AM

Thanks, Serge. I can't recall whether I have version 3 of Servo-Cat. I purchased the system in early 2012.... I will have a look-see. I guess I'm looking for the presence/absence of USB ports on the black control box of the Servo Cat....

If I find that I do have version 3 is this problem of non-compatibility permanent? Are either Southern Stars or Servo Cat working on a fix?

Thanks for your assistance.

Dave

#5 astrodevices

astrodevices

Vendor-Astro Devices

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 24 August 2013 - 05:12 AM

Hello Dave,

I would say that you have a USB version if you purchased it in 2012...

I cannot speak for Souther Stars or ServoCAT but I cannot see how you would be able to use SkyWire with a USB version of ServoCAT - it is not really possible...

You can however switch over to a wireless solution and use either Nexus or SkyFi.

Best Regards,
Serge.

#6 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Prescott, AZ

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:32 AM

Thanks, Serge. I can't recall whether I have version 3 of Servo-Cat. I purchased the system in early 2012.... I will have a look-see. I guess I'm looking for the presence/absence of USB ports on the black control box of the Servo Cat....

If I find that I do have version 3 is this problem of non-compatibility permanent? Are either Southern Stars or Servo Cat working on a fix?

Thanks for your assistance.

Dave

I bought my ServoCAT in January or February of 2012 - it's Gen 3. At that time Gen 3 had been out for several months, so you almost certainly have Gen 3. Attached is a photo of mine. Note the USB port under the ServoCAT logo on the left side.

I don't know if there is a "problem" to "fix" inasmuch as the USB is an upgrade to a more modern connector.

Perhaps there is a USB to Serial connector that would work for you? Southern Stars might be able to give you guidance on which brand(s) of adapters might work.

Another option (poor one in my book) would be to find a Gen 2 user who wants to go with Gen 3 and swap with him.

Last option would be get a SkyFi unit and go wiresless. For a larger Dob wireless is great. Save the SkyWire for use on a GEM, or just sell it.

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics