• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Aquarist

Aquarist

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Illinois

Posted 22 August 2013 - 02:01 PM

I see lots of praise for these eyepieces in Denk Binoviewers. Are they equally good in a MarkV?

#2 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 22 August 2013 - 05:04 PM

I am sure that they will work, but you are leaving a lot of aperture on the table if your goal is to get a wide field.

The Mark V can support a 28mm field stop (24mm Hyperion and 35mm Ultima both have 28mm field stops). The D21s only have a 24.7mm field stop. Now this is perfect for the Binotron because it is perfectly matched to the smaller prisms and especially to the low power arm of the powerswitch in that system (bigger field stop eyepecies will slightly vignette with the low power arm in).

Any 1.25" eyepiece will work, but in A la carte mode (bino without powerswitch) the Mark V can give a wider well illuminated field with the 24mm or 35m than the Denk can.

It will work though. Any 1.25" eyepiece will work in the Mark V and it will work as well as it works anywhere else.

If you just want a pair of 21mm eyepieces (21.6mm is about what the focal length really is) then I think the Denks will be quite excellent in the Mark V.

#3 Aquarist

Aquarist

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Illinois

Posted 22 August 2013 - 05:22 PM

Thanks Eddgie! Exactly what I wanted to understand.

#4 Pingster

Pingster

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:53 PM

I have a pair of 21 denki, I bought them with my denki ii binoviewer. I also have a mark V bino, and a pair of 24pantopics. In my experience the pans are far better in both binos. They are sharper and sharper to edge of fov, and have much less false colour aroubd bright targets such as Jupiter.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics