CPC tripod for 8 SE

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Nippon

Nippon

Viking 1

• Loc: Central Florida

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:30 PM

I have flirted with the idea of buying a CPC tripod for my 8 SE. But the tripod is about $350 and I'm not sure if the one arm mount is the vibration culprit or the tripod. So I'm asking the folks here that have put their 8 SE on the CPC tripod how much improvement it made?

#2 Sorny

Sorny

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern MN

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:11 PM

Putting my NexStar 5SE on my CPC tripod made a big difference in stability. The single fork is still problematic, but the SE tripods are, quite frankly, poor.

My CPC stays on the CPC tripod, and my SE stays on the SE tripod. The reason for this is that the SE is my grab & go scope, and the CPC tripod weighs more than my entire SE setup, making it far less mobile.

#3 Smittty692k4

Smittty692k4

Apollo

• Loc: East Bernard, TX

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:23 PM

Quite frankly, I wish they made the tripod an option when buying the 8SE. I am so glad I got mine. For visual use, the stock tripod is ok, but for planetary imaging (and visual) cant go wrong with the CPC tripod.

#4 bcuddihee

bcuddihee

Vanguard

• Loc: Cincinnati Ohio

Posted 23 August 2013 - 02:07 PM

The cpc tripod IMO is the single best option for getting the best from the 8se.

#5 barbarosa

barbarosa

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: "lamorinda", CA

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:07 PM

Reasonable people have posted and son of a gun, they are not in unison.

I have a C5 on a Nexstar 6/8 mount; the lighter OTA works well on the 6/8 SE tripod. The combination is easy to move and although I have the option, I do not use it with either a CPC or an older (rubber covered legs) and heavier Celestron tripod.

I agree that the 8 SE OTA is at the limit for the mount; a sturdier tripod will not make it rock steady. A few minutes with a CPC will convince you.

An 8 SE on a Celstron Ultima tripod--improvement but not in my opinion worth the price of a new CPC tripod.

Attached Files

#6 Unidentified130

Unidentified130

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Fort Collins, CO

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:20 PM

Is the Ultima Tripod bout the same weight as the CPC? Offers the same performance? etc?

#7 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:12 PM

The Ultima tripod is the same as the tripod included with the NexStar GPS scopes (predecessors to the CPCs). It's just a little bit lighter than the CPC tripod. It's probably an ideal upgrade for the 6/8SEs if you consider the CPC tripod as a bit of overkill.

#8 barbarosa

barbarosa

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: "lamorinda", CA

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:05 PM

There is one important advantage to the CPC or the older Ultima tripod---no plastic. I suspect that a very large percentage of SE tripods have one or more cracked or completely broken clamps for the leg extensions. The design on the Ultima is very rugged.

On the negative it is not SS and you will need an adapter for the SE mount base.

Attached Files

#9 AstroTatDad

AstroTatDad

Apollo

• Loc: Los Angeles - San Diego

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:18 PM

For visual and a grab-and-go I been happy with my 6se. I found for myself with vibrations pads and adjusting the legs to certain heights has helped out a lot. The different ground surfaces with the SE mount/tripod plays a big part as well. I to myself thought of picking up a CPC tripod at one point, I just couldn't do it. Especially after picking up a used CG-5 for the same price. I know a lot of people on here are happy they picked up the CPC some even picked up the wedge as well. That stuff adds up fast, that's just my opinion, but yeah the tripod is not the best on the SE but I think it's fairly decent for what it is. It's perfect for grab-and-go, it's so light to just grab it all together take it out, put it down and ready to go pretty quick.

But anyhow, I'm sure the CPC tripod will help out, I just seen it today on B&H's website for $316

#10 AstroTatDad

AstroTatDad

Apollo

• Loc: Los Angeles - San Diego

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:30 PM

By the way David, that looks nice.. I have always liked the all black. :)

#11 Unidentified130

Unidentified130

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Fort Collins, CO

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:47 PM

I tried adding a 10lb weight plate underneath the eyepiece tray but It was the one made with plastic with sand in it. Unfortunately it was too thick and wide. Might get one from which was made of metal and thinner.

Wondering if anyone tried a similar modification with their SE tripod?

#12 Nippon

Nippon

Viking 1

• Loc: Central Florida

Posted 24 August 2013 - 11:50 AM

I worried about the plastic clamps on the SE tripod too. I put a strong type of duct tape around the lower section legs when I had it adjusted to a proper height which is the legs extended about 14" That allowed me to level the tripod with just short further extensions of the legs and use very little tightening of the clamp screws. My line of reason was if they slipped disaster would be avoided because they could not slip far. But truth is I have discovered that it takes only a very small amount of tightening of the clamp screw to secure the legs.

#13 Bob Griffiths

Bob Griffiths

Getting Grouchy

• Loc: Frederick Maryland

Posted 24 August 2013 - 02:58 PM

I find my CPC tripod improves the stability of my 8i quite noticeably...

The single arm is NOT the problem in my opinion..

However an Antaries 4 inch diameter portable pier is much cheaper..lighter and works a heck of a lot better then the OEM 8i and 8Se tripods...very comparable in stability to the CPC tripods for visual use...

Bob G

#14 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 31 August 2013 - 12:25 PM

Do you have a link to the pier that you mentioned???

Thanks,
Ed

#15 Bob Griffiths

Bob Griffiths

Getting Grouchy

• Loc: Frederick Maryland

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:06 AM

Do you have a link to the pier that you mentioned???

Thanks,
Ed

No but I Purchased the pier IN PERSON from Hands On Optics years ago...

Bob G

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics