• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#26 actionhac

actionhac

Skylab

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 25 August 2013 - 07:28 PM

What do we call this type of scope?
It never was a production scope. It was assembled entirely from off the shelf parts back in the late 60's early 70's.
Its not a Frankenstein because the parts are not from corpses or donorscopes. Its not a mutt or purebred because it never had parents.
Not really a ATM scope because nothing is handmade.
Its just assembled from finished parts from makers who made parts and no finished telescopes.
Its like when you go out for dinner to a buffet, you are building your own dinner, it is not on the menu, it has no name. What should we call this type of telescope?

Attached Files

#27 labmand

labmand

Messenger

• Loc: West Michigan USA

Posted 25 August 2013 - 07:57 PM

It never was a production scope. It was assembled entirely from off the shelf parts back in the late 60's early 70's.
Its not a Frankenstein because the parts are not from corpses or donorscopes. Its not a mutt or purebred because it never had parents.
Its just assembled from finished parts from makers who made parts and no finished telescopes.
Its like when you go out for dinner to a buffet, you are building your own dinner, it is not on the menu, it has no name. What should we call this type of telescope?

I call it Sweet!

#28 rdandrea

rdandrea

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Colorado, USA DM59ra

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:04 PM

What should we call this type of telescope?

An ATM project.

#29 madeline

madeline

Viking 1

• Loc: Bloomington, MN

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:11 PM

I agree, it is sweet

#30 tim53

tim53

Cosmos

• Loc: Highland Park, CA

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:18 PM

I call my mutt The Kludgescope!

Here it is - a 6" f/10.3 Newtonian with a lumicon helical focuser, Optical Craftsmen finder and rings, and Losmandy rings holding a Mayflower 76 x 1200 guidescope. I made the rotating rings myself on a Harbor Freight mill, and the end rings on my Champion Blower and Forge 9L lathe. The dovetail "plates" are wood and 3/4" aluminum channel. Best 6" scope I've ever used. Here, the whole enchilada is sitting on my Tak NJP mount on a Nexstar tripod (since broken!). Usually, it lives on my Tak EM-10 mount, but without the guidescope.

Posted Image

-Tim.

#31 dgreyson

dgreyson

Viking 1

• Loc: South Carolina

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:21 PM

I'd call it if it would come to me. a Most excellent home made classic newtonian scope you have there. And Like Tims scope, thats how you get exactly what kind of scope you want. A scope you made yourself, assembled, did yourself is always the better scope no matter what the Coiners say they paid for theirs. :) It might have looser optics sure, but it's yours.

#32 dgreyson

dgreyson

Viking 1

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:32 PM

Btw. interesting active regions at the western rim on the sun this weekend ...

I've been fussing so much about the overcast skys at night I'd clean forgotten I can still look at the sun. Thanks for the heads up.

#33 bremms

bremms

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: SC

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:44 AM

The sky has been overcast or high clouds here in SC for a long time. My scopes are all sadly collecting dust. I could make 3x the scope rolling my own way back when. Love making my own parts. Back in the 40's 50's and 60's that's what you did. Those are classics.

#34 dgreyson

dgreyson

Viking 1

Posted 26 August 2013 - 05:11 PM

I will save you a seat on the Ark :tonofbricks:

#35 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: The Great Basin

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:17 PM

I call my mutt The Kludgescope!

Posted Image

-Tim.

Your guidescope rings are dangerously on the small side. ;)

Beautiful scope. In the Good Old Days, most Newts were parts mish-mashes. I'm getting all misty-eyed...

#36 BarrySimon615

BarrySimon615

Pa Bear

• Loc: New Orleans, LA

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:27 PM

MUTT =

My Unique Treasured Telescope .....at least that is the best I could do to turn "MUTT" into an acronym.

Barry Simon

#37 tim53

tim53

Cosmos

• Loc: Highland Park, CA

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:36 PM

I *like*!

#38 starman876

starman876

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: VA

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:23 AM

Just think of the time you would have saved and not to mention cutting up a nice tube if you would have only asked me nicely for a replacement 142 lens. You would not be asking the question what is it now. You would have been showing us that very nice original 145 Uitron worth about $3000 or more. Cannot say what the value is now.

#39 terraclarke

terraclarke

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: The Bluegrass State

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:31 PM

Here's my mutt: Unitron 140 tube and focuser, Unitron diagonal, Jaegers 78mmx1218mm objective, my aluminum cell, 9x50 Antares finder, Royal Astro solar projection kit, Orion rings, Agena dust cap, Vixen Polaris mount, Orion EQ-3 (modded) RA drive, Hands On Optics legs, Vixen accessory tray, Pep Boys Auto tray light.

Attached Files

#40 terraclarke

terraclarke

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:33 PM

And here's the purebred 140 (sans wooden accessory tray- I know, I know, "Drill the holes Terra!"):

Attached Files

#41 starman876

starman876

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:05 PM

I do not have any mutts. Well, the 6" AP on the CGE mount. Maybe I will buy an AP mount to make it a purebred. I do have some ATM scopes that you could call mutts. However, we all know when we cross breed what we get. Astonomers that build strange looking contraptions and call them telescopes.

#42 BarrySimon615

BarrySimon615

Pa Bear

• Loc: New Orleans, LA

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:24 PM

Just think of the time you would have saved and not to mention cutting up a nice tube if you would have only asked me nicely for a replacement 142 lens. You would not be asking the question what is it now. You would have been showing us that very nice original 145 Uitron worth about $3000 or more. Cannot say what the value is now.

This project was done back in 1997, not recently. "Cloudy Nights" did not exist then.

As it is, the Edmund objective is a better performer than the very nice Unitron objective I had in another Unitron 3" f/16 tube assembly. There are many advantages to the scope as it has been modified. With the shorter focal length it yields a wider field, the scope with shorter tube is better handled by the Unitron #142 mount, and it will get up to all the magnification I need.

As I have no plans on ever selling this tube assembly (or mount), it's resale value is irrelevant.

Note - I am not Unitron bashing. I am a Unitron fan. In addition I am the owner and moderator of the UnitronTelescopes Yahoo Group.

Barry Simon

#43 terraclarke

terraclarke

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:38 PM

I love my mutt. Its not only one of my favorite scopes but also one of my best and the whole thing is made from odds and ends, nothing was scrapped or chopped (at least by me) to make it. Just like dogs, mutts are often better and more reliable than purebreds.

#44 starman876

starman876

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:36 PM

Barry I understand. However with the proceeds from selling a real 145 you could have bought a Vixen 4" flourite which would have provided you with the views of a lifetime. I always look at the market value of what I have before I modify what I have and what I could buy with the proceeds to better satisfy my needs. This lesson I learned the hard way when I chopped up my almost new 1973 corvette because I wanted it to look like a ferarri. I still remember my friend saying "you know that is a $6000 car you are sawing up" Since then I have been very careful with my toys.

#45 terraclarke

terraclarke

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:01 AM

Johann, you yourself said two weeks ago when one of these (a 3 inch Unitron photo-equatorial) went to the chop shop and was parted out that the parts and pieces were worth more than the whole; something like 3200 bucks is, I believe, the total sum that the sale brought according to your tally. So I really don't see how Barry has destroyed a valuable telescope. In fact, you acknowledged that you had a good objective for such, and tubes can be found; I got a 3 inch Unitron tube for a very modest price. So if Barry ever so desired, it seems to me that the scope could be put back together in original format fairly easily, or he could also part out all the original pieces and still get more that the complete scope would sell for- at least based on recent example. Just my thoughts.

#46 AllanDystrup

AllanDystrup

Ranger 4

• Loc: Denmark

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:40 AM

Here's another example of mixing and matching, using custom adapters (this is a non destructive / non irreversible way of customizing, modernizing / upgrading and cross-breeding vintage telescopes).

Today I received a UnihexA-T2 adapter from our good CN friend Xavier Debeerst; The adapter allows me to use the Unitron Unihex on all my telescopes, and to combine it with modern high quality components as for instance barlows and filters :

Attached Files

#47 starman876

starman876

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:41 AM

Terra
I understand what you are saying. I just hate tearing apart anything classic and a Unitron OTA is high on that list. Barry does have a very nice looking scope.

#48 terraclarke

terraclarke

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:26 PM

:flower:

#49 terraclarke

terraclarke

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:41 PM

Very Nice Allan. I machined a similar adapter for my Unihex so that it can be used in any 1.25 inch visual ba k. In a similar vane, yesterday I ordered a set of rings and a rail for my Sears 76mm F16 refractor so that it can be used in a modern driven GEM and on my beefed up Vixen Porta Mount II.

#50 AllanDystrup

AllanDystrup

Ranger 4

• Loc: Denmark

Posted 28 August 2013 - 11:58 PM

:waytogo:

Right Terra, using the best of your components, old as well as new, in a flexible and hence optimal way, for the best astronomical performance and experience (while still respectfully preserving 'the heritage') that's the road to take, IMHO.

Allan

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics