Skywatcher 120

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 pdxmoon

pdxmoon

Apollo

• Loc: Oregon

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:32 AM

Sometime in the next year a Skywatcher 120 may join my family of scopes. At 38" long and about 12lbs it will be heftier than anything I currently own.

I'm going to be needing to think of a mount, since I doubt it will ride on the Vixen Polaris or Porta II, my two current mounts. I wonder if those of you who own one can comment?

I prefer alt az mounts, but an EQ that can also ride as an alt az also appeals. Any alt az would have to have slo mo; thats a deal breaker.

What would you suggest?

Thanks!

#2 neptun2

neptun2

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bulgaria

Posted 26 August 2013 - 12:02 PM

Well i use mine on HEQ5 Pro (Sirius) and it handles it very good both for astro photography and for visual. For Alt-az unfortunately i can't help but hopefully someone will propose such model.

#3 terraclarke

terraclarke

Aurora

• Loc: The Bluegrass State

Posted 26 August 2013 - 02:30 PM

Four little words: Universal Astronomics Unistar Deluxe. No slow motion controls on it, none needed. The mount is simply amazing. So stable and so smooth. I had mine out again last Saturday night and it never ceases to amaze me. Track manually and effortlessly at 200X! It makes mince meat out of the Porta II. I used to think the same thing about slo-mo until I got a TV Gibralter some years ago. I like this better! And be sure to get the eyepiece tray and the handle.

Put on a sturdy surveyors tripod, mount will handle your scope perfectly, movements will be smooth and steady, and the setup will be portable and can be picked up and moved about the yard etc. as a unit.

#4 kevint1

kevint1

Viking 1

• Loc: West Michigan

Posted 26 August 2013 - 04:34 PM

The Desert Sky Astro DSV2 or DSV3 will handle the Skywatcher 120. They have slo mo controls. I use the DSV-3 with my EON 120 version of that scope. It is very stable and a joy use. I use the slo mo controls about half the time, the rest of the time I use the included panning handle or simply nudge the eyepiece with my eye socket or finger on the diagonal.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics