• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Starhuckster

Starhuckster

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Boston, MA

Posted 23 August 2013 - 03:21 PM

I'm trying to get myself started in AP and I think DSLR is the way to go for me. I have an 80mm f/6 scope with good optics, now have a suitable mount and need to figure out the camera.

Looks like I can get a new-ish 60D body for less than half of what a 60Da costs, with mods potentially costing a few hundred more.

At the end of it all, what will I have (or not) that's different? Besides extra money.

#2 piaras

piaras

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Niagara Region

Posted 23 August 2013 - 03:26 PM

More money in pocket and higher sensitivity to Halpha with the right mod vs 60Da.
Pierre

#3 Tom and Beth

Tom and Beth

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 23 August 2013 - 03:51 PM

Same question I had when entering this aspect of the hobby.
I bought the 60D, which was $600 cheaper at the time.

I'll just note that the 600D, (T3i) has the same sensor and (I believe) electronics as the 60D. So if you're on the fence about this and looking to pair your costs, it is another option.

#4 mmalik

mmalik

DSLR camera modifications

• Vendors
  • Loc: USA

Posted 24 August 2013 - 04:03 AM

60Da... is the ONLY DSLR that comes factory modded; well worth it. Read more below:

Reviews
S&T
Page1...
Page2...
Page3...
Page4...

Shutterbug
Page1...
Page2...
Page3...
Page4...

#5 terry59

terry59

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Colorado, USA

Posted 24 August 2013 - 06:51 AM

60Da... is the ONLY DSLR that comes factory modded; well worth it. Read more below:

Reviews
S&T
Page1...
Page2...
Page3...
Page4...

Shutterbug
Page1...
Page2...
Page3...
Page4...

Rather search this forum for opinions instead. The consensus is different

#6 Jim Lafferty

Jim Lafferty

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:43 AM

Not sure if you can use your modded 60D for daytime photography as well--my 60Da does well both day and night.

Jim

#7 Aln4rdsky

Aln4rdsky

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 24 August 2013 - 11:04 AM

Not sure if you can use your modded 60D for daytime photography as well--my 60Da does well both day and night.

Jim

Custom White Balance is all one really needs. Jerry Lodriguss has answered this question over a hundred or even thousand times so far.

#8 mmalik

mmalik

• Vendors

Posted 24 August 2013 - 11:06 AM

A quote from Wikipedia on Scientific Opinion...

""The scientific opinion" (or scientific consensus) can be compared to "the public opinion" and generally refers to the collection of the opinions of many different scientific organizations and entities and individual scientists in the relevant field. Science may often, however, be "partial, temporally contingent, conflicting, and uncertain" so that there may be no accepted consensus for a particular situation. In other circumstances, a particular scientific opinion may be at odds with consensus."

#9 terry59

terry59

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 24 August 2013 - 02:18 PM

""The scientific opinion" (or scientific consensus) can be compared to "the public opinion" and generally refers to the collection of the opinions of many different scientific organizations and entities and individual scientists in the relevant field. Science may often, however, be "partial, temporally contingent, conflicting, and uncertain" so that there may be no accepted consensus for a particular situation. In other circumstances, a particular scientific opinion may be at odds with consensus."

Sigh

#10 Starhuckster

Starhuckster

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 24 August 2013 - 04:55 PM

I feel like I opened a can of worms I hadn't intended to let loose by asking this, perhaps in the manner I did. Sorry about that.

#11 terry59

terry59

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:00 PM

Not to worry. Some subjects can bring out strong opinions. My point was that this gets brought up often and even the guys that do the mods say a modded D is more Ha sensitive than the Da.

#12 Hap Griffin

Hap Griffin

Vendor (Imaging Infinity)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Sumter, SC

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:48 PM

A modified 60D has more sensitivity to HA than the 60Da and is consideralby less expensive. The T3i is a much lighter weight version with the same sensor which makes a big difference unless you have a top of the line mount and focuser than can handle the extra weight of the heavier camera. The refurbished cameras from Canon are a good deal for the bargain hunter.

#13 Hap Griffin

Hap Griffin

• Vendors

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:50 PM

Also, a modified camera can certainly be used for normal photography. If the camera is modified with a replacement UV/IR filter, then only a custom white balance is required. If it is a full-spectrum modification, an external or clip-in color correction filter such as the Astronomik OWB can be used. I use my modified 40D for normal photography all the time and have some information on custom white balances on my web site listed below.

#14 Jim Lafferty

Jim Lafferty

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 26 August 2013 - 01:03 PM

"Custom White Balance is all one really needs. Jerry Lodriguss has answered this question over a hundred or even thousand times so far."

Ive been on this group a bit over a month--no need for rudeness---newbies arrive and go all the time--

frankly--Ive been able to take nice pics with the 60Da without any custom white balance---everything is a trade-off. Its one of the reasons I didnt go with a modded camera--I take some casusal pics with the camera during the day--I prefer to keep it simple. Obviously, like telescopes and mounts, there is no such thing as the "perfect" camera for all uses. If there was we'd all own it :)

Ive heard great things about Hap's service as well.

#15 shark-bait

shark-bait

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Port Richey, FL USA

Posted 26 August 2013 - 05:59 PM

Has anyone used the auto dark fram subtraction with either of these cameras? Does it work as well as a manual calibration?

#16 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:36 PM

Shark bait, the auto dark subtraction routine is OK, but it doesn't do flats and it doubles your exposure each frame. Personally I liked to do them when I wasn't wasting the night sky :).

#17 mmalik

mmalik

• Vendors

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:35 PM

Has anyone used the auto dark frame subtraction with either of these cameras? Does it work as well as a manual calibration?

I have used ICNR on 60Da; for me it works better than manual (OCNR) calibration. Thx

#18 Hap Griffin

Hap Griffin

• Vendors

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:06 PM

there is no such thing as the "perfect" camera for all uses. If there was we'd all own it :)

Actually, I think a full-spectrum modified DSLR comes about as close as one can get. With a set of clip-in filters the camera can be used for three purposes...daylight, astro and IR. And it does a superb job at all three because the removal of the front low-pass filter in the FS modification results in increased resolution over a stock camera. I have found that I prefer my full-spectrum modified Canon 40D with an Astronomik OWB (Original White Balance) clip-in filter to several stock Canon DSLR's that I have for normal photography. With a lens mounted 720nm IR filter, it makes a great IR camera, and with an Astronomik UV/IR filter, it makes a dandy astronomical camera. I use a CCD for prime focus work, but recently got an IOptron Sky Tracker for wide field work this winter and will use this camera for that.

#19 Jim Lafferty

Jim Lafferty

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:42 PM

Well Hap, you are one of the experts---:)
I love my skytracker as well, its a winner. I used to do prime focus ccd before I did solar, and just recently got into DSLR widefield with lenses to have something to do at night. I like it--much simpler for me than dealing with all night imaging/guiding sessions :)

#20 end

end

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Houston, Texas, USA

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:14 PM

One additional piece of information that I'd add here, which is in favor of the 60Da, is that you will have a full factory warranty. Assuming you are lucky, this difference will mean nothing to you, but I have already used mine as 4 months after purchased my 60Da stopped powering up. Two weeks later I received a repaired 60Da from Canon at no cost. If I had a 60D that had been modified I would have been out my full investment.

If you leave aside this issue, buying a 60D and getting it modified is a much better deal.

#21 Starhuckster

Starhuckster

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:56 AM

Thanks for all your input and I can certainly understand why spending a bit more for a factory modded camera that carries a warranty would seem to make sense. I will probably be willing to take that small chance and go the less expensive route, but nothing is happening for a few weeks and I'll be mulling it over.

#22 Hap Griffin

Hap Griffin

• Vendors

Posted 28 August 2013 - 12:31 PM

Let's look at the pricing. The Canon T3i has the same sensor and is of much lighter weight than the 60D. The 60D or 60Da has no extra features over the T3i that are useful in astronomical photography and the T3i is much lighter weight...very useful for those who don't have $10K mounts and extra strong focusers. A factory refurbished T3i body is listed today on Canon's web site for $319. An astronomical modification runs around $300. So, for less than half the price of a 60Da, one can have a camera that exceeds it in astronomical performance and is of much lighter weight. If warranty is that important, buy TWO and you'll have a spare for less than the price of a 60Da!

#23 JerryWise

JerryWise

Cosmos

• Loc: Lexington, SC

Posted 29 August 2013 - 07:59 AM

Just got my 60Da. That rascal is big. I don't know which new Canons have the flip out LCD screen but that is just the trick for a refractor geek. I've spent a lot of nights on the floor or ground trying to get focus on a fixed LCD Canon. I've been out of imaging the last 2 years and looking forward to learning this monster and getting some images.

#24 mmalik

mmalik

• Vendors

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:05 AM

Some DSO settings in 'Appendix J' of this... doc to get you started; congrats!

#25 nofxrx

nofxrx

Vendor (HyperCams & Mods)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Palm Bay,Florida

Posted 01 September 2013 - 02:48 AM

Sigh

:lol: :roflmao: :tonofbricks: :help: :grin: :foreheadslap:

Just so I actually (possibly) contribute to the thread:
I agree with everything Hap said.. :grin: ;)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics