Photo

70mm travel scope

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 john strnck

john strnck

Vostok 1

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:18 PM

i seen and read mixed reviews on this celestron 70mm travel scope- from a really nice portable scope to absolute garbage- does anyone have one here? what i want to use it for is a guidescope- im not sure if the optics have a decent coating and mainly if the focuser isnt plastic junk with to much slop in it

#2 george golitzin

george golitzin

Surveyor 1

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:23 PM

I'm interested in the same question--I thought it would make a decent finder for a largish dob, depending on the optics and focuser.

#3 spongebob@55

spongebob@55

Viking 1

• Loc: Bergen Co. New Jersey

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:59 PM

i seen and read mixed reviews on this celestron 70mm travel scope- from a really nice portable scope to absolute garbage- does anyone have one here? what i want to use it for is a guidescope- im not sure if the optics have a decent coating and mainly if the focuser isnt plastic junk with to much slop in it

I have one and bought it with the intent of using it as a finder for my f/15 Mak. I bought just the OTA. The short dew sheild, lens cell, focuser and focuser drawer tube and even the draw tube straight gearing is plastic. The OTA tube is metal. Its what you would expect from a $44 OTA. I've added nylon screws so as to not scratch EPs. I regreased it and added teflon strips inside the focuser.
I found M13 tonight from my white zone back yard and split Mizar easily. But bright stars are not perfectly pin point and I can't seem to get the concentric circles in a star test. With the addition of a good diagonal and mounting rings, it's pretty heavy, so keep that in mind in regard to balancing your scope.

Since the drawer tube is plastic, and also the rack is also plastic (molded as part of the drawer tube, not separately screwed on like other lower end synta focusers), I would not use heavier EPs if you have lighter ones available. It seemed that even using the 1.25 GSO dielectric diagonal and the Pentax 10mm XW really strained the plastic tube and rack. There are two recessed hex set screws that can be adjusted on the top of the focuser between the large thumbscrew and OTA tube. Adjust those carefully.....don't want to make the round plastic drawtube egg shaped.

I hope that answers your concerns, if not, ask away!
Regards,
Bob

#4 john strnck

john strnck

Vostok 1

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:05 AM

i had to find out so i got one ordered, planning on trying it for a guidescope

#5 careysub

careysub

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:09 AM

You might also take a look at this new Orion product - a 70mm finder/guide scope:

http://www.telescope...n-70mm-Multi...

It is more expensive, $100, but it looks like it might be lighter, and comes ready to attach to a finder shoe.

I had been working on adapting a 70mm binocular tube to achieve basically what comes ready-to-use in this package.

#6 spongebob@55

spongebob@55

Viking 1

• Loc: Bergen Co. New Jersey

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:42 AM

Some more information and pictures here: http://www.cloudynig...rd=article&a...

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics