8 inch Dob VS 10 inch Dob - again.

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#26 SteveG

SteveG

Skylab

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 24 August 2013 - 03:58 PM

John, that aluminum tube is awesome! I've fantisized about rebuilding my 10" Lightbridge with aluminum tubes, but to actually do it would be cost prohibitive. I wish someone could mass-market lightweight tubes using this method.

#27 Lamb0

Lamb0

Vanguard

• Loc: South Eastern(ish) Nebraska

Posted 24 August 2013 - 04:47 PM

:thinking: BlackLite tubes :dob:

#28 Diana N

Diana N

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Nebraska

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:56 PM

OP, is there any way you could find some owners of8" and 10" Dobs in your area? The best way to discover which of those sizes is "just right" for you is to actually get your hands on both, so you can see just how heavy and bulky each model is.

#29 BigC

BigC

Gemini

• Loc: SE Indiana

Posted 26 August 2013 - 01:52 AM

Kenny,

Certainly each person may experience different results and issues with the same scopes but just to be clear,my opinion is also based on me personally actually owning and using these scopes.Under "rurban" sky which is usually 4.5 but somtimes goes 1 better.

The Orion XT8 and Zhumell Z10 required half a day's driving each but modest cash as they were craigslist deals some distance from my home.The Z10 rode home in my Chevy Lumina three years ago with little room to spare.The XT8 bought eight months later had more room to ride because after me surviving a head -on collision that destroyed the Lumina,that car was replaced by a Buick LeSabre.Both of those scopes were sold last year to make room and funds for the Z12(craigslist again).The Z12 (OTA in original box) come home in a minivan .I had bought a Bushnell 4.5 Dob for the 2003 Mars opposition and still have it. Must have been a couple years ago I was lucky to get a good deal on an Ares 6 OTA.And there is also the cute,perhaps looked down upon,but surprising effective little Galileo 80mm tabletop Dob.Almost forgot the Orion Starblast 4.5" Dob found at Goodwill.

Using the Z10 for months and seeing great Saturn and M42 views fueled the desire for more,hence the Z12.The XT8 was easier to take outside so it got more use while I had both A Z10 and XT8.

The little tabletop Dobs are very good if thgere is a solid something to elevate the eyepiece to a comfortable height. Sitting on the ground is no good unless you like chiggers, and dirty clothes.

The Ares 6 is a terrific 6"f8 OTA that sits on a Skywatcher dob base or an LXD55 tripod on my whim.It is lightweight,2" focuser,very good views ;have spent hours sweeping the sky with it.

But none of my other scopes could or can show so many stars as the Z12.

It has been my fortune to find quite a few scopes for sale by those who lost interest and just wanted it gone.I suspect many ,like myself at first,didn't learn or know how to use their new scope.

EDITED to correct spelling errors,and add a bit that got lost doing multiple re-writes last night.

#30 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 26 August 2013 - 03:45 AM

Both of those scopes were sold last year to make room and funds for the Z12(craigslist again).The Z12 (OTA in original box) come home in a minivan

That is an important distinction. My 10 inch F/5 GSO (Zhummel, Apertura, Astro-Tech) fits in just about any car made with relative ease. I used to haul it in a 1989 Nissan Sentra. The 12 inch F/5 is close to a foot longer and is a difficult/awkward/impossible fit in a small or normal sized car.

When Orion first teamed with GSO to design the XT-6, the XT-8 and later the XT-10, they were careful to make them as short as possible. Most of the previous generation of commercial Dobs were significantly longer and though they were of the same focal length, the tubes were too long to easily fit in a standard sized car, the Orion Dobs fit.

The fact that both the 8 inch and 10 inch Dobs are nearly the same 4 foot length and therefore about equally transportable is what makes them both attractive and viable choices for many observers. I have a few Dobs, some much fancier and with larger apertures than my 10 inch F/5 GSO but it's compact size and capable optics, solid mechanicals means it's a keeper, a life time scope for me.

Jon

#31 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

Voyager 1

• Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA

Posted 26 August 2013 - 05:51 AM

The little tabletop Dobs are very good if thgere is a solid something to elevate the eyepiece to a comfortable height. Sitting on the ground is no good unless you like chiggers, and dirty clothesw.

A sheet of plastic, or a trash bag, costs just cents. If you don't feel comfortable sitting on the ground, that's good enough reason not to do it. But dirty clothes are 100% avoidable.

Actually, I always wear work clothes for stargazing, so I don't care if they get dirty. A much bigger issue is getting wet from dewy grass.

#32 BigC

BigC

Gemini

• Loc: SE Indiana

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:03 AM

Tony,
Probably due to old and not-so-old injuries, getting up from the ground these days seems a lot harder than I remember! :(

#33 BlackBirdCD

BlackBirdCD

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pacific Northwest

Posted 26 August 2013 - 12:59 PM

Some of the best views I've seen were from an 8", custom-built Dob with exquisite optics, on a very dark-sky and clear evening. So much depends on your sky conditions and how you're going to use it.

I've ended up with a 10" Orion XT10i, purchased from a good friend after he tried another 10" Orion XT10i (that I borrowed from the local astronomy club).

My impressions on having used both:

1.) The extraordinarily built 8" Dobsonian still remains one of the best views I've seen, but I've yet to take my 10" XT10i to a dark sky night - I will next week and may report back as my pal with the 8" will be there :)

2.) The 10" is probably the largest solid body Dobsonian that I'd care to lug around and am working out how to build a clever connection to a hand-truck to move it inside the house and house. It's just heavy enough, and awkward to be a challenge and I'm not entirely out of shape. The 8" Orion XT10i isn't that much smaller overall but weighs a bit less. I'm not certain there's much of a win there either way.

If the price was equal I'd go with the 10" in a heartbeat. In my case, the 10" was offered at a "can't pass it up" price before I pulled the trigger on another scope. But I was looking at an 8" as well.

#34 Dave Ittner

Dave Ittner

Messenger

• Loc: SF Bay Area, California

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:28 PM

The little tabletop Dobs are very good if thgere is a solid something to elevate the eyepiece to a comfortable height. Sitting on the ground is no good unless you like chiggers, and dirty clothes.

I have 2 Edmunds Astroscans (those little red portaball reflectors) and love to use them for public star parties.

I bought an inexpensive grinder stand from Harbor Freight
http://www.harborfre...tand-42986.html
Using the 20% off coupon you can find helped lower the cost even more.

#35 Deb and Todd

Deb and Todd

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Billings, MT

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:16 AM

I started with an 8" dob 10 years ago. Even though I have a 12.5" Obsession, I still use the 8" a third of the time. It's just so easy to set up. I can and often carry it a 50-100 yards when I'm out camping.

I suggest you try and get your hands on both a 8" and 10" scope. Pick them up and move them around. For me setup isn't really the issue. The issue is putting them away at the end of the night. That's when there is a world of difference between a single trip and two trips.

I supsect you would be happy with views from both. Do try and pick a scope you will use often.

#36 After Hours

After Hours

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Vancouver, BC

Posted 31 August 2013 - 01:05 PM

Impressions from a Newbie:

I wrestled with the same thoughts.

I bought a 10" Skywatcher collapsible goto. It seemed enormous when I bought it 6 weeks ago and now it's kinda... normal. 10" = same length as 8". Collapsible means it stores well in a room without looking big - looks good actually; and transports in the trunk of my Merc SLK (just) with the stand on the passenger seat (40min drive to a mountain top). Setup is just walk two pieces separately - what's another minute max? Collimation is actually fun, easy, and this one rarely goes out. GoTo has me learning very quickly - it's been worth it. Friends can look without needing to 'operate the scope' to track a DSO that needed 30 seconds for their eyes to adjust and the wonder to begin. You quickly want to Barlow things and 10" I'm guessing is helping.

So for me size was part of it but features factored into it to get the most viewing pleasure for time. I use this scope at least once a week - with 10" I feel I have enough size to pull it out on marginal evenings. Especially when resorting to nebula filters. A wonderful hobby. Would I now have preferred to have saved a hundred or so to get an 8"? - it turns out 10" was right for me. I'd recommend considering how it compliments your lifestyle so it remains a pleasure to use.

All the best with your new purchase!

#37 AcTrust

AcTrust

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 01 September 2013 - 03:10 PM

It seems like a 10 inch is a good size ratio for gobbling up lots of light and being decently portable, especially the Sky-Watcher collapsible version. I do have my eye on that unit, it's $450 cheaper then the 12 inch and looks like a much more portable size.

Could be the sweet spot!

#38 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NC

Posted 01 September 2013 - 04:42 PM

Just got my 10" Dob recently to add to my 8"SCT experience and is about as heavy as I would want to move around! Not much chance to use it because of the *BLEEP* weather, but looking forward to the wider FOV it has over my CAT.

#39 AcTrust

AcTrust

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 01 September 2013 - 07:25 PM

Would anyone know the dimensions of the base diameter and height for the 10 inch and 12 inch skywatcher?

I have been searching for an hour with no luck anywhere!

#40 After Hours

After Hours

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Vancouver, BC

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:59 PM

10" Dob collapsible base is approx 24" in Diameter; 30" high to the shoulder (just above the pivot) and with the base with the bucket attached collapsed and pointing up (and you can point it down at any angle) is max 42" high.

#41 AcTrust

AcTrust

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:03 AM

Thank you :)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics