Photo

Suggestions for power supply for AP 900 GTO

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 urassner

urassner

Ranger 4

Posted 24 August 2013 - 12:19 AM

In the next week or two I should be getting my dream mount (a used AP900 GTO CP3). I would appreciate any suggestions for a good regulated power supply and/or battery pack. Was has worked well for you ?
Thank you.

Ulrich

#2 mistyridge

mistyridge

Gemini

• Loc: Loomis, CA

Posted 24 August 2013 - 12:42 AM

I have found that the Pyramid PS9kx 12v regulated power supply rated at5amps constant and 7amp peak has worked well for me for all my mounts from a G11 to a AVX and my cameras. I bought one from Amazon last year for about $30.

#3 blueman

blueman

Photon Catcher

• Loc: California

Posted 24 August 2013 - 12:46 AM

I also use this same Pyramid PS9kx and I think it is the same one that AP sells too. I have two of these that I used for the AP900 and Losmandy GM-8. They work well and power the mount with no problems at all.
Blueman

#4 Christopher Erickson

Christopher Erickson

Vanguard

• Moderators
  • Loc: Waikoloa Village, Hawaii

Posted 24 August 2013 - 01:50 AM

First, CONGRATULATIONS!

I LOVE my 900GTO mount!

I use a 12V 6A 72watt power supply in a sealed plastic housing.

http://www.newpowers...pter_bulk_mo...

#5 urassner

urassner

Ranger 4

Posted 24 August 2013 - 12:52 PM

Thanks for the information. Does anyone have a recommendation for a battery pack for the AP 900?

#6 Tom and Beth

Tom and Beth

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 24 August 2013 - 04:15 PM

Thanks for the information. Does anyone have a recommendation for a battery pack for the AP 900?

For that, you need to provide more details, such as
1) What else would you need to power? Dewstrips? Focusers? Computer?
2) How long will you run it? All night? All weekend?

I know that my 1200 runs on half an amp tracking and up to 2 amps slewing. Using current draw of an amp per hour over an 8 hour night would indicate a ~17AH battery. You don't want to draw batteries below the 50% level. A wheelchair battery (~35AH) would last a weekend.

#7 urassner

urassner

Ranger 4

Posted 24 August 2013 - 04:54 PM

Thanks for your battery information. I am only going to run the mount on this with a 20 pound 6 inch refractor. However, I also want it to work in the winter down to about 10F.
I was thinking about 20Ah or so.
Has anyone here have experience with Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries?

#8 andysea

andysea

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 24 August 2013 - 05:08 PM

Check out this document on the AP website. It tells you exactly what you need to power your mount in the field.
Read from page 14 on
http://www.astro-phy...al-2011-0718...

#9 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:36 PM

I've had discussions with the AP crown as well as reading that.

So, to distill what I learned down...

You'll need about 39 AH of 12 V power.

The ideal battery is a golf-cart or scooter battery. Automotive batteries are damaged by deep drawdown, and marine deep cycle batteries still have part of this startup function. You can either find 12V batteries or get 6V batteries and hook them up in series.

I have seen some housings which look like suitable batteries could be put in them and they'd have 12V plugs in place, but I'm not sure I can get them together with the right battery. If a sparky went and picked a reference set of parts, that would be a huge help.

-Rich

#10 urassner

urassner

Ranger 4

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:40 PM

Rich & Andy, thank you for your insight. I had read the AP info, but had also come across posts with people using a 17 AH battery. From your discussions with AP, was the reasoning to have enough power for a couple nights?
Have you heard anything about Lithium Iron batteries? They seem to be quite a bit more expensive, but a fraction of the weight. Not sure if it is worth the price premium though.

#11 RodShea

RodShea

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 24 August 2013 - 11:12 PM

Optima yellow or blue top batteries in "MinnKota Trolling Motor Power Center" battery boxes work well. The cases are well built, and have good sockets in them. They also have circuit breakers instead of fuses.

Rod

#12 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:17 AM

They recommend taking 30 amp-hours to get through at least one cold night. Just a bit more gets you through two nights the rest of the year. I can't personally imagine having two sets of batteries at that scale.

I was interested in the MinnKota boxes, though it would take some measuring to make sure golfcart batteries would go in. I like the circuit breaker feature, though.

-Rich

#13 blueman

blueman

Photon Catcher

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:49 AM

I use two large deep cycle batteries in the field. They are about 110 amp hour each. I use one for the mount and the other is for the laptop and other things. I charge them each day for the next night.
Blueman

#14 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:21 AM

How much do those weigh?

I was thinking something like this 12v 45 ah scooter battery:

http://www.topmobili...teries-p787.htm

Is the 110 ah size to make sure you never get deep into a charge?

-Rich

#15 blueman

blueman

Photon Catcher

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:31 AM

My 100+ amp hour batteries must weigh 50+ lbs each. I have never weighed them. But when I go imaging the system will run all night and I need a lot of power to insure that the electronics get the required voltage. By having large batteries they can deliver enough amps that they will hold the 12vdc or better all night. Plus they do not get overly discharged.
Smaller batteries do no last, they get too run down in a night and then they will start to lose their depth of
charge.

Plus I buy the batteries for $8o each or so. Much cheaper, just heavier.

Blueman

How much do those weigh?

-Rich

#16 Paul G

Paul G

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Freedonia

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:08 AM

I use the power supply AP sells when observing at home, an Optima blue top deep cycle when I'm not near an outlet.

#17 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:36 AM

I've got to ask- Where are you getting 110 ah batteries for $80? The ones I'm finding with 40% of that capacity are three times that price!

-Rich

My 100+ amp hour batteries must weigh 50+ lbs each. I have never weighed them. But when I go imaging the system will run all night and I need a lot of power to insure that the electronics get the required voltage. By having large batteries they can deliver enough amps that they will hold the 12vdc or better all night. Plus they do not get overly discharged.
Smaller batteries do no last, they get too run down in a night and then they will start to lose their depth of
charge.

Blueman

How much do those weigh?

-Rich

#18 korborh

korborh

Viking 1

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:50 PM

Look for marine deep cycle batteries at Walmart.

#19 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:04 PM

From what AP says, that's the wrong type of battery.

-Rich

#20 blueman

blueman

Photon Catcher

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:15 PM

I have purchased three from WalMart over the years. The two I have today are both Walmart batteries and cost under $80. I bought them 3-4 years ago.

I found this for the what seems to be 96 amp hr for $100 and it is 61.7 lbs.

http://www.walmart.c...attery/20531539

This is what they now seem to rate at 94 amp hr for $78. I think this is similar to the ones that I have. Looks like them. But mine show a higher rating on the top.
Blueman

http://www.walmart.c...attery/20531539

I've got to ask- Where are you getting 110 ah batteries for $80? The ones I'm finding with 40% of that capacity are three times that price!

-Rich

charge.

Blueman

How much do those weigh?

-Rich

#21 blueman

blueman

Photon Catcher

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:16 PM

From what AP says, that's the wrong type of battery.

-Rich

Which battery are you referring to? I have used these batteries for G-11, MI-250 and AP900
Blueman

#22 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:23 PM

Hm. Looks like the 24Ah AGM I ordered, which I intend to use to power both my Mach1 and camera TEC, is way too puny... :tonofbricks: and it cost around $60.

Trolling batteries or similar aren't that easy to find around here (no Walmart).

#23 blueman

blueman

Photon Catcher

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:45 PM

Well, it is all relative to how long you run the mount and other accessories. The amount of slewing time too effects the total draw.
Blueman

Hm. Looks like the 24Ah AGM I ordered, which I intend to use to power both my Mach1 and camera TEC, is way too puny... :tonofbricks: and it cost around $60.

Trolling batteries or similar aren't that easy to find around here (no Walmart).

#24 RodShea

RodShea

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:34 PM

Amazon sells Optima batteries, ans ships them <free> with Amazon Prime, they also ship the MinnKota boxes.

AP sez you should use a separate battery for the mount. I have always done so, w/o problems. I know people who had trouble with mount behavior when sharing batteries.

Hope this helps,

Rod

#25 blueman

blueman

Photon Catcher

Posted 25 August 2013 - 05:19 PM

This is why I use two batteries. The mount gets its own and the rest of the accessories use the second battery.
Blueman

Amazon sells Optima batteries, ans ships them <free> with Amazon Prime, they also ship the MinnKota boxes.

AP sez you should use a separate battery for the mount. I have always done so, w/o problems. I know people who had trouble with mount behavior when sharing batteries.

Hope this helps,

Rod

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics