45 replies to this topic

#1 Space_Girl1234

Space_Girl1234

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:50 PM

I am buying this scope...

http://www.optcorp.c...-tube-only.html

What mount would you recommend for this telescope with LOW PRICE being the NUMBER ONE overwhelming factor to consider?

Thank you

#2 scottk

scottk

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Tennessee

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:35 PM

There's a "like new" motorized eq1 mount in the cloudynights classifieds right now. It would be wobbly with a scope that is so long, but if low cost is the number 1 priority, I've worked with less stability.

#3 cn register 5

cn register 5

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:46 AM

Aren't you asking exactly this question on the Refractors forum? And getting lots of good suggestions.

It does not follow that because someone is dumping scopes at a very low price someone also has to sell mounts at a low price.

Essentially a mount to hold this scope will need to be reasonably sturdy and that costs money.

Chris

#4 frito

frito

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Fremont, CA

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:01 AM

as Chris said above the thread you got going over in the Refractor forum has a ton of great suggestions.

I thank you though for posting this because i may pick one of these up at that price just to have for visual use on my CG-5. I've used a Celestron 102F F/9 refractor my club has on my mount before and it handled it wonderfully for visual use, this scope is pretty similar in size, length and probably weight as well.

#5 dpippel

dpippel

Apollo

• Loc: Desierto de Sonora

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:12 AM

Aren't you asking exactly this question on the Refractors forum? And getting lots of good suggestions.

Exactly. What's the point of doing this all over again? The low-cost options were exhaustively covered in her original thread. The answers will be NO different here Space_Girl1234.

#6 KarlL

KarlL

Ranger 4

• Loc: Northern Illinois

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:52 PM

I just bought the same scope and need a mount. I am seriously considering a pipe mount on a surveyor's tripod. It should be very stable. There is a good article on such a mount in the articles section of this site: "How-to Make an Alt-az Pipe Mount", by Ging-Li Wang. Jim in the Refractors forum recommended this article. Although expensive, a surveyor's tripod will give much-needed stability. An unstable mount makes using a telescope miserable.

Regards,

Karl

#7 ziggarut69

ziggarut69

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:57 PM

Space_Girl1234, I think it would clear things up if you could let everyone know exactly how much money you were willing to spend on a mount. just how LOW COST is LOW COST?. If you mean less than the cost of the telescope I think short of possibly making your own, you will be out of luck.

#8 gdd

gdd

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Lynnwood, WA (N/O Seattle)

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:37 PM

Hi Space_Gir1234,

This problem of how to mount an inexpensive telescope capable of high magnification is what led to the development of the "department store telescope" bundled with an inadequate low cost mount we are all warned to avoid.

Gale

#9 Space_Girl1234

Space_Girl1234

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:39 PM

I am asking here in the mounts section because no one has yet provided a satisfactory answer for a LOW COST mount that can be purchased today from a retailer. The earlier answers of buy a dob or build a homemade mount while appreciated are not the info I am looking for.

Hopefully someone will offer a source since many buyers are looking for one just like I am.

#10 cn register 5

cn register 5

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 25 August 2013 - 03:04 PM

Let's apply some logic to this.

Suppose there is a mount for $100.
Now suppose there is another mount for $50. LOW PRICE is the NUMBER ONE overwhelming factor so that one is preferable.
Now suppose there is one available for $25. That's less than $50 so it's preferable. After all LOW PRICE is the NUMBER ONE overwhelming factor.
We can continue this indefinitely until we get to the point where the $0 mount becomes preferable to the $1 mount, after all LOW PRICE is the NUMBER ONE overwhelming factor.

So the logical conclusion is not to get a mount at all. Hand hold the scope. That is the lowest cost.

This is, of course, ridiculous. It will be totally impractical to hand hold this scope. But it makes a point. Low cost cannot be the only consideration. performance is also a consideration, particularly stability.

People need to know what your other, unstated needs are.

In any case even the simplest mount will probably cost more than the mount, and the options have already been suggested.

Chris

#11 scottk

scottk

Messenger

• -----

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:45 PM

Like zigg suggested, stating what you mean by "low cost" would be helpful to those trying to answer your question.

As far as telescope mounts go, 200 or 300 dollars is considered very low cost by most standards, but there are mounts out there that, while not very quality based, can be had for less.

How many dollars are you looking to spend? How much money is "low cost"?

#12 christheman200

christheman200

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:05 PM

If you really don't want to spend any money, which is what it seems like so far, then just put it on a tripod. Find a way to bolt it onto the tripod and you have a working telescope and mount. Right now as I'm waiting for a mount (for free! worth around $400 normally) for my AR102 I'm putting it on a tripod. It has cost absolutely nothing as I already had the tripod. I think you have the mentality that there has to be something good out there for a really low price, but you simply won't find one new. If you look for a used mount you could find one but the chances are very low. If you have a local club, ask everyone if they have an old mount you can have. You will get one. The membership would cost less than the mount.

#13 dpippel

dpippel

Apollo

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:02 PM

I am asking here in the mounts section because no one has yet provided a satisfactory answer for a LOW COST mount that can be purchased today from a retailer. The earlier answers of buy a dob or build a homemade mount while appreciated are not the info I am looking for.

Hopefully someone will offer a source since many buyers are looking for one just like I am.

No one has supplied a "satisfactory answer"? Um, I hate to be blunt, but the answers you received to this query in the refractors forum are all that there is. There are simply no more low cost mounts that can be suggested to you. They've all been covered. You may not like the answers you received, but they are what they are. You're not going to buy a mount for the same price you paid for the C102 unless you a) luck out on a used Craigslist find, b) simply buy a cheap camera tripod, or c) build your own pipe mount.

#14 rdandrea

rdandrea

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Colorado, USA DM59ra

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:08 PM

What mount would you recommend for this telescope with LOW PRICE being the NUMBER ONE overwhelming factor to consider?

Nail it to a tree stump.

If you want a different answer, you might think about loosening up the criteria a tad.

#15 dpippel

dpippel

Apollo

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:12 PM

Or get more specific about the criteria. We still don't know what "LOW PRICE" means.

#16 gdd

gdd

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:14 PM

You are getting the telescope for such a good price because the manufacturer has a surplus of them and has decided to put them on clearance sale, probably at below cost. That does not mean someone has to sell the mount and other accessories at below cost just to make the total system cost low.

Probably the reason you do not see many low cost but good mounts able to handle a 4" f/10 refractor is the costs involved to build them compared to the number of people likely to buy them. The companies would have to sell huge numbers of mounts each year if they had to sell them at low prices with low profit margins. And because the general public's overwhelming number one priority is cost, they will accept undersized mounts - so why offer anything else?

Gale

#17 dpippel

dpippel

Apollo

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:19 PM

This has all been covered over in the refractors forum:

http://www.cloudynig...6025227/page...

#18 gdd

gdd

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:41 PM

This has all been covered over in the refractors forum:

http://www.cloudynig...6025227/page...

Yes, I know. This thread is the Reader's Digest version. :)

Gale

#19 rigel123

rigel123

Voyager 1

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:42 PM

Here you go Spacegirl, this is in line with what you want. It is twice the price of your scope but that's still a bargain when it comes down to a mount.
http://www.telescope.../Orion-AZ-4-...

By the way, do you realize the scope you are buying does not come with a diagonal or an eyepiece? Both of those will probably cost more than the scope as well.

#20 christheman200

christheman200

Messenger

• -----

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:31 PM

Please provide us with what you are willing to spend.
I'm sorry, but until you do I will assume you are an internet troll.
You keep repeating the same thing and won't give us any feedback. Yes this assumption is harsh, but it needs to be said (IMO).
Well, I guess I don't really think you're a troll, but you are acting like one.

#21 stevenf

stevenf

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Vancouver, BC

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:10 PM

http://www.amazon.co...d0_g421_ir01_sh

$59, free shipping.

#22 scottk

scottk

Messenger

• -----

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:28 PM

Then there's the possibiliy of an anti-gravity configuration, a sort of invisible fence for the telescope. One might be able to install what would be an essentially permanent magnetic base and spinning top plate, ring, or alternate geometric configuration. Functional parameters, such as the balance or top weighting, would be stringent. Employing principles of the magnetic field and gyroscopic stabilization, the optical tube would induce levitation through a series of interactive steps. The levitated top's stabilizing rotation would undergo natural, gradual slowing, so that the levitation phenomenon would fail within four minutes unless external power was supplied to sustain rotation.

Of course, none of this would work, and would cost a fortune to even attempt.

#23 christheman200

christheman200

Messenger

• -----

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:53 PM

http://www.amazon.co...d0_g421_ir01_sh

$59, free shipping.

If she doesn't go with this, I don't know what else she can use!

#24 Brent Campbell

Brent Campbell

Messenger

• Loc: Olympia, WA

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:11 AM

First off I've been there having to economize. What people in the hobby often forget is that beginners don't just have "stuff sitting around" to make a scope work.

Perhaps she purchased the wrong scope? Yes the 102GT OTA is a steal, but was it right for her? Maybe an astroscan, and ETX90, or a Galileoscope would have been a better deal? Despite the being a good deal on the OTA what are you going to spend?

OTA $69.00
Diagonal: Around $75.00
Finder: $25.00
Mount $125.00
Eyepieces (2): $50.00 each or $100.00
Case (A piece of PVC pipe with padding might work) $20.00

I get a total for $414.00 to get the scope ready. Essentially this OTA combo has turned into "buy the accessories get the OTA for free"! So I can't fault her for trying to save a couple of bucks on the mount.

If I was her I would look for a good used CG-4. I purchased mine for $125.00. New I believe they are $375.00. They are around, although I don't see any for sale right now, and would make a good match for the 102 GT.

There is a VIXEN Portamount II for sale for $175.00 in the classifieds that is interesting. I would look at this seriously!

The $69.00 tripod deal mentioned would work but wouldn't be optimal.

#25 cirrus1500

cirrus1500

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: California

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:38 AM

There is a VIXEN Portamount II for sale for $175.00 in the classifieds that is interesting. I would look at this seriously!

I too bought the C102 from OPT and I was very interested in this Porta II mount in the classified. At that price, I can imagine many others will be interested. However, the seller haven't got back to me on the shipping cost after 2 days so i went ahead to buy a new Porta II with an upgraded tripod (starguy) at OpticsPlanet (they have a $40 discount for right now). The starguy cost me $359 but in addition to the c102, I know i can use it with my other scopes, and reviews have been great so i think it is well worth it.

Spacegirl, i think you should consider the one in the classified. Or the closest that may be acceptable seems to be the Celestron Heavy Duty Altazimuth mount that Starion recommended ($79 shipped). It seems quite robust compared to others at this price, and it has slow motion control.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics