• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Mike4242

Mike4242

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: West Tennessee

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:44 PM

So today I finally got around to doing an alt/az conversion on my CG-4 mount. It was a fairly easy procedure -- hardest part was removing the Celestron emblem and the latitude scale. Here's the thread I used for the procedure: Astroview Modified to Alt-Az Mount

I got out tonight with my Omni 102 XLT to try out the mount on Saturn and I must say that I'm really happy with it. It's not perfect; I had a few issues with the slow motion controls running into the mount head, but other than that it worked very well. I actually think the CG-4 is better as an alt/az mount than an eq. At one point Saturn started to dip behind some trees and it was super easy to just pick up the entire mount and move it to another part of the yard and then carry on observing.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 WarmWeatherGuy

WarmWeatherGuy

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Orlando, FL 28° N, 81° W

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:11 AM

At one point Saturn started to dip behind some trees and it was super easy to just pick up the entire mount and move it to another part of the yard and then carry on observing.

You can do the same thing in the equatorial configuration.

#3 Mike4242

Mike4242

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: West Tennessee

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:39 AM

You can do the same thing in the equatorial configuration.

True, but it's a little more awkward to move and you have to ploar align again. Not a huge deal, but I like to be able to just plop it down somewhere and then aim it at what I want to look at.

#4 WarmWeatherGuy

WarmWeatherGuy

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Orlando, FL 28° N, 81° W

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:42 AM

You don't ever have to polar align. Just set the tripod down so the thing points more or less North. What's the worse that can happen? You have to turn two knobs to keep Saturn centered, instead of just one knob? Even if you're 10° off you will still be able to take out most of Earth's rotation with one knob.

btw - it looks like you did a great job on the conversion. Someone just asked about this on the refractor forum here. I posted a link to this thread. There are lots of people who want alt/az instead of eq.

#5 rnc39560

rnc39560

Surveyor 1

• Loc: MS coast

Posted 20 December 2013 - 04:41 PM

Lol.... I read to the bottom, and can now use the post link to go back to my original place that I came from! Thanks for the hyper-space button!
Nice job on the mount too!!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics