Arunah Hill Days

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 bherv

bherv

Surveyor 1

• Loc: WMass

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:45 PM

Labor Day weekend is just about here which means Arunah Hill Days here in western MA. The grass is mowed, the road is now in great shape and the forecast looks good. We are hoping for a good crowd to enjoy the many scopes that will be setup around the hill. We will have solar scopes for observing the nearest star, along with activities for the kids including rocket building and launching. As always we will have speakers doing presentations Friday and Saturday evenings and a raffle Saturday afternoon. There is a $10 fee for parking your vehicle on the hill if you chose to. Hope to see some fellow CNer's there.
Barry

Attached Files

#2 lamplight

lamplight

Vanguard

• Loc: western MA, U.S.

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:08 PM

I hope to be there or at least some of it. I emailed Ed yesterday (and he answered me) , I still have to mail my check!
Barry I was thinking of taking a minivan up and sleeping in it. Will there be a place a little away from the field to park that so as not to disturb ppl when I need to open it up (lights etc)?

Ed also mentioned ere is a Boy Scout group essentially catering and available for all meals right?

Matt

#3 bherv

bherv

Surveyor 1

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:47 PM

Matt,
There may be a few places to park out of the way. I wouldn't be to concerned about it. Can you disable the interior lights or is there no switch for that. As far as the food goes, yes the scouts will be serving various items for breakfast, lunch and dinner from Friday through Sunday. I will be there from Friday through Monday. I will be at the top of the hill in the camper with tarp on it, so if you have any questions feel free to ask.
Barry

Attached Files

#4 lamplight

lamplight

Vanguard

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:38 AM

Thanks !

#5 Holltim4103

Holltim4103

Explorer 1

• Loc: Plattsburgh, NY

Posted 27 August 2013 - 11:51 AM

I'll be there with my tent and telescope. :)

#6 Shane LaPierre

Shane LaPierre

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Connecticut

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:19 AM

Hi. I will be there Friday night only. I'm bringing 2 of my children who enjoy the sky and the outdoors. Also trying to fit my 24" telescope into the plans :)

#7 bherv

bherv

Surveyor 1

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:05 PM

I look forward to get a chance to look through the 24". I am in the process of repainting my 16" Lightbridge and hope to have it finished by Friday. If not I will probably just use the club's 17.5".
Barry

#8 bherv

bherv

Surveyor 1

Posted 01 September 2013 - 09:19 PM

We had a halfway decent crowd despite the clouds and showers. Hopefully next year's event will come with good weather. I did win an observing chair in the raffle along with a couple of other items.
Barry

Attached Files

#9 lamplight

lamplight

Vanguard

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:22 PM

I must have seen you , I won a book at the raffle.. I asked a few ppl about you but no luck. Tim were you there? I forgot your number. I got a,couple good shots of the lightning and met some nice folks.

#10 Shane LaPierre

Shane LaPierre

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Connecticut

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:03 PM

I decided against going. I have never been, and was looking forward to it. However, I wanted to take some family and didn't think camping with kids would be fun in the rain :(

I will be at CSP this weekend.

#11 bherv

bherv

Surveyor 1

Posted 04 September 2013 - 05:04 PM

Maybe next year the weather will be better. As always it is Labor Day Weekend. The weather is looking pretty good for CSP this weekend. Friday looks like the best night, but dress warm the temps will be in the 40's. I haven't been to CSP in 8 years. I just don't like to drop $40 hoping for clear weather. If it is clear I usually just go up to Arunah Hill because the sky is darker and it's free.
Barry

#12 BrettG

BrettG

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 12:18 PM

I wanted to attend, but had previous Labor Day weekend plans. Maybe next year I will pop over for a night.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics