Nostalgia overload!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Rapp

Michael Rapp

Gemini

• Loc: Dickinson, TX

Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:32 PM

I was going through some old boxes and I found some of my astronomy books from when I was in grade school (mid 1980s). I have not seen these books in nearly 30 years!

First, check out these Edmund Scientific books! That planisphere brings back a flood of memories. I often took it to school and used it to imagine what the stars would look like in the daytime. I also treated it as a clock....I'd advance the hour on the planisphere to keep up with the current time. :lol:

Attached Files

#2 Michael Rapp

Michael Rapp

Gemini

• Loc: Dickinson, TX

Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:33 PM

Finally, here are some Golden Guides of which I also have very fond memories.

I had thought these books lost to the sands of time. What a joy to find them again! :jump:

Attached Files

#3 TomCorbett

TomCorbett

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 24 August 2013 - 11:07 PM

Michael...

Nice books in your nostalgia collection. Golden Guides are still available in later editions. Here is a link to the vintage and collectible aspects of the original Golden Guides.

#4 Rich (RLTYS)

Rich (RLTYS)

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: New York (Long Island)

Posted 25 August 2013 - 07:42 AM

WOW! Great set of books. Wish I had some of them. Good Luck.

Rich (RLTYS)

#5 amicus sidera

amicus sidera

Skylab

• Loc: East of the Sun, West of the Moon...

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:38 AM

Now those are some indisputably classic volumes! :cool: Glad that you found them after all these years. All too often such treasures are lost forever; either in the process of moving, from being inadvertantly disposed of, or myriad other reasons.

Those Edmund publications, especially the Sam Brown titles, are collector's items now, and apart from How To Use Your Telescope and the Star Locater (both of which are still available from Scientifics) are no longer in print. The Golden Guides were and are excellent introductions to the sciences... I well remember them being my first books on astronomy, long before I had a telescope.

I'm sure that you'll have a wonderful time reacquainting yourself with all these books, Michael; unexpected rediscoveries of this sort can go a long ways towards enhancing and revitalizing one's enjoyment of this avocation.

Fred

#6 desertstars

desertstars

ISS

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:10 AM

My original copies of The Sky Observer's Guide and Stars vanished when my family relocated from Illinois to Arizona. Many years later, when I picked up the hobby again, I came across the same editions on Alibris and snagged them. Not quite the same as having the once I once had out with me under the stars, but far better than nothing!

#7 okieav8r

okieav8r

I'd rather be flying!

• Administrators
  • Loc: Oklahoma!

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:28 AM

I fondly remember the old Science Service books on astronomy and spaceflight I had as a kid. I keep hoping I might come across a set at a flea market or garage sale, but no luck.

#8 helpwanted

helpwanted

Skylab

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:17 PM

nice collection! do yourself a favor and never get rid of them, even though they are outdated, they will always hold a place in your memories.

#9 bumm

bumm

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Iowa

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:08 PM

This hobby allows one to time travel in many ways. :) I still have the Star Explorer planisphere I got new in 1957. Treasure that stuff...

#10 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:21 PM

Yep, youngster. I was in grade school in the mid-50's. :grin:

#11 turtle86

turtle86

Pooh-Bah Everywhere Else

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:56 PM

I fondly remember the old Science Service books on astronomy and spaceflight I had as a kid. I keep hoping I might come across a set at a flea market or garage sale, but no luck.

I had forgotten about those! I used to have those too when I was a kid. If you're interested, I just did a search on eBay and saw quite a few sets available. A lot of the prices looked reasonable...

#12 okieav8r

okieav8r

I'd rather be flying!

• Administrators
  • Loc: Oklahoma!

Posted 26 August 2013 - 12:38 PM

Thanks Rob!

#13 bumm

bumm

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Iowa

Posted 26 August 2013 - 12:54 PM

bookfinder.com is good too...

#14 semiosteve

semiosteve

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: NEOhio

Posted 29 August 2013 - 03:22 PM

Sky Observers Guide remains my all time favorite. Still have my original beat up hardcover edition. Just picked up one of the (relatively) newer pocket editions for casual use...

Funny thing, I recently got re-interested in star spectroscopy with my old Rainbow Optics gear. Apparantly there are not that many books with color star maps that show spectral types - but the original edition of Sky Observers Guide does!

Alas, the pocket edition drops back to black and white star maps, sigh.

BTW, my other favorite book from back then is "Splendour in the Sky" by Gerald Hawkins. I've never seen it mentioned here by anyone else. It is a wonderful book with really engaging chapters about the exciting era's when larger scopes kept emerging and how astronomy emerged as a modern science.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics