Lodestar_C stacking trials

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Puck Ja

Puck Ja

Apollo

• Loc: OK, USA

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:45 AM

The moon was still full and bright. And I am waiting for Orion Skyglow filter to come. So I decided to try out some stacking with 60 second subs.

M51 with F/3 4x60s no filter:
Posted Image
m51_dk_mdx2_cf_str2_stack4_STool

M27 16x60s
Posted Image
m27_cc_cf_lev60_midx2_str2_gr_stack16_PP

The bright DSOs turn out to be OK, but the more diffusive DSO definite needs longer subs to show. The SNR for M51 was increased and the "side halo" of M57 was more apparent after stacking. But the improvement wasn't day & night.

On the other hand, for nebula, the stack may help a lot. That will be my next trials. :)

#2 highfnum

highfnum

Vanguard

• Loc: NE USA

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:47 AM

M51 has lots of detail

#3 Dragon Man

Dragon Man

Vanguard

• Loc: Snake Valley, Australia

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:07 AM

Puck, are these stacked in an on-the-fly software program prior to viewing the result as an enhanced near-live view, or are the 60 subs individually captured and viewed then saved then stacked, then viewed again?

#4 Moromete

Moromete

Viking 1

• Loc: Romania

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:44 AM

Nice images Puck!

Off topic: have you managed to self-guide the LodestarC with SX M7C software?
I had no luck with self guiding even if tried Meade LX200 setting to guide through the Nexstar hand controller port.

#5 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-
  • Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:26 AM

The Celestron HC won't respond to LX200 commands, it would have to be the Celestron/NexStar protocol for pulse guiding via that serial port.

#6 Puck Ja

Puck Ja

Apollo

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:49 PM

Puck, are these stacked in an on-the-fly software program prior to viewing the result as an enhanced near-live view, or are the 60 subs individually captured and viewed then saved then stacked, then viewed again?

This is only a trial. I am still trying to appreciate any benefit that may come from stacking, which was kind of being proven in this trial. Even 4 subframe stacking was quite beneficial.

I had high hope on M57 stacking but the result was less impressive than what I hoped for. I think my focus needs to be refined since i was trying to avoid making the focusing mask. :) Now it is probably due.

So these results are stacked afterward. Not the on-the-fly stacking by DSS. I kind of figuring out what was essentially needed for Lodestar_C. The next step was to figure out how to prepare the images on-the-fly before sending to the DSS. :)

#7 Puck Ja

Puck Ja

Apollo

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:58 PM

Thanks to all the encouragement.

I kind of giving up on that. Even we might make it work since it did work. I would hate to lose 1/2 integration time on the object. Also, I am using Orion SSAG for guiding and more importantly as a digital finder. The wide field from SSAG helps me to center on object much faster, since I am still doing only 2-star alignment which was not terribly accurate. :o

But I do had EQMOD and Astrototillas in mind for much better goto accuracy. :grin:

#8 mattflastro

mattflastro

Vendor - Astrovideo Systems

• -----
  • Loc: Brevard County , FL

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:11 PM

I kind of giving up on that. Even we might make it work since it did work. I would hate to lose 1/2 integration time on the object.

ISn't the software using a long integration for the image , followed by a shorter integration for guiding? At least that's how it used to work once upon a time . So you'd give up 5-10% not half of the integration time , which would be a more reasonable trade-off.

#9 jchaller

jchaller

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Tenino, WA.

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:35 PM

Always impressed by that camera, love to see some live stacking done.

#10 Moromete

Moromete

Viking 1

Posted 26 August 2013 - 02:44 AM

I kind of giving up on that. Even we might make it work since it did work. I would hate to lose 1/2 integration time on the object.

ISn't the software using a long integration for the image , followed by a shorter integration for guiding? At least that's how it used to work once upon a time . So you'd give up 5-10% not half of the integration time , which would be a more reasonable trade-off.

Matt, according to SX manual I've understood that the integration time will double when self-guiding.

Puck, I gave up too after trying different settings and I saw the same window with the same error.
Maybe it's impossible to self-guide the LodestarC without the actual STAR2000 control box.
As a side note, I've used the default guide settings with SX M7C software.

#11 Puck Ja

Puck Ja

Apollo

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:16 PM

To follow up, I had a chance to take some more 120sec subframe of M51. The 4-frame stacking was quite nice.

And I was very impressed with the StarTools result:
Posted Image
m51_dk_md_cf_str4_dk_stack4_STools

#12 Moromete

Moromete

Viking 1

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:08 PM

Again, nice image!

Yes, StarTools seems interesting.

Have you been guiding?

Cloudy Nights LLC