portable table for Q 3.5?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 equuleus

equuleus

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:58 AM

Looking for a sturdy yet portable table (folds up or breaks down). Any suggestions?

Ken

#2 BKrobusek

BKrobusek

Lift Off

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:43 PM

I was going to suggest a digital projector stand but after trying the one I have it isn't anywhere near stable enough IMHO. I'm wondering whether any portable table would have the same problem. Is there a particular reason you want to use a table? Have you considered mounting the scope to a photographic tripod?

Bruce

#3 equuleus

equuleus

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 25 August 2013 - 03:18 PM

I'll try the tripod. I have a good one. I want to sit comfortably at the Q 3.5 with my adjustable stool. Was thinking I could get my feet and knees under a table. Depending on eyepiece position in equatorial mode I might be more likely to avoid the legs of a table than those of a tripod but maybe your idea will work.

#4 Mike E.

Mike E.

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Moonstone Observatory

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:23 PM

Google "Portable shooting bench".

Some Varmint hunters use a portable shooting bench with rotating seat to set their equipment upon. Perhaps one of these would work for you.

#5 BGeoghegan

BGeoghegan

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Eastern CT

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:58 AM

To toss in another option: a portable workbench. It's not elegant and falls a little short of a good tripod for stability but it's great to have the handy surface for eyepieces, charts, etc. I used a Ryobi QuickStand for a while when it wasn't in the workshop. The non-adjustable design gives near direct load transfer from top surface to ground. As far as I can tell it's no longer made but Black and Decker has a similar design:

www.homedepot.com/p/t/100671605

Bob G

#6 AlaskaWolf

AlaskaWolf

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Meridian, ID

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:19 PM

I've been using a portable Coleman aluminum roll up camping table. Works great, very sturdy, sets up in minutes, and is really easy to take down and store in its easy to carry case.

http://www.coleman.c...ontextCatego...

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics