Gerber 4-color LED flashlight

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 David E

David E

Aurora

• Loc: North Carolina

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:18 PM

I've had this Gerber Recon LED flashlight for some time now. I really like this flashlight as a more durable alternative to the plastic flashlights that often cost nearly as much. Barely 4" long and 2.6 ounces (with AA battery), it's all-metal construction is well built and extremely rugged. The metal clip can be removed if desired. It has four colors of LED's: bright white, red, green, and blue. It's a bit unique in that is has no switch to wear out. You turn it on by tightening the end cap, which unscrews all the way to install the AA battery. I really like this because there's no switch to cycle through like other LED flashlights, it's either on or off. The front part turns to select the color led you want, it's very tight in feel and will stay in place until you select another color. With a single AA battery, its illumination is not very much, but it's ample for close quarters work at your observation station. The white light only reaches out about 12-15 feet, so this is not a good search light. But OTOH you'll disturb your neighbors less at the star party when you need that white light to see your way or find that filter or set screw you just dropped in the grass. I give this one a thumbs up! :waytogo:

Attached Files

#2 MikeCMP

MikeCMP

Vostok 1

• Loc: Chardon OH

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:35 PM

Thanks for the review.

I actually use a similar flashlight, made by the same company, called the Gerber infinity ultra task light. It's a single LED, single AA flashlight, with a clip, super small, and clips to the brim of my baseball cap. They used to make a red LED version, I have three of those, and have had the white LED one in my pocket for every day for at least the last 10 years, maybe longer. They run for about 100 hours on a single AA, but are really dim at that point.

http://www.gerberkni.../Infinity-Ultra

Have been looking at the one you reviewed since the red ones I like are no longer made. I can still find them on eBay though so I guess I will hang on and put it on my Christmas list, can never have to many flashlights.

Mike

#3 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Prescott, AZ

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:39 PM

Be careful. A few months back I mentioned a few web pages that suggest low intensity green LED's may actually be superior for some night use to see if anyone had actual experience with them. The CN Red Light Police jumped on that with more fervor that the average Reflector vs. Refractor debate.

When people react that vociferously it suggests to me a very strong belief system combined with a very weak experience base. So, I dug out an old Starlight LED flashlight that has both red and white LEDs on an adjustable dimmer switch. A trip to Radio Shack yielded a couple a green LED's. When my project list thins about a bit this fall I am going to replace the white with the green and give it a go.

BTW, here is the first web article and here is the second web article.

#4 David E

David E

Aurora

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:32 AM

Thanks for the links. My experience is that red light is the best, but green is still much better than bright white light. Star charts are often printed with dark blue ink, which shows up black under pure red light. I think it probably depends on the individual's sensitivity to green.

#5 okieav8r

okieav8r

I'd rather be flying!

• Administrators
  • Loc: Oklahoma!

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:31 AM

My comments here on red vs. green.

#6 David E

David E

Aurora

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:34 AM

Thanks Rex. I think perhaps one reason I prefer red light to green light while observing at night is because atmospheric dust reflects green light but not red light (that's why GLP's are not RLP's). So a green light seems to create more glare, from the light being reflecting back into my face. Regardless, this flashlight will give you a choice, so you can use whichever light works best for you.

As a side note, some of my early red dot finderscopes had a green dot option on them, but that version seems to have disappeared in favor of all-red versions.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics