Photo

What focuser to replace the stock one on SW dob?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 actuary616

actuary616

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:31 PM

I want to replace the stock focuser on sky watcher 10 inch goto dob. Can anyone recommend some good focuser (but not too expensive) for it? If you could give me the link, that will be great. Thank you in advance!

#2 christheman200

christheman200

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:54 PM

Do you have a budget in mind? Not too expensive isn't very helpful.
I'm guessing your budget would be around $150, though.
I don't know the focuser market however, so I can't help you much.

#3 SkyGibbon

SkyGibbon

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Las Vegas, Nevada

Posted 26 August 2013 - 12:45 AM

Here is one I replaced mine with on my classic 10" Orion dob. Your base looks the same as the Orion, so it should drop right in. Nice focuser.

http://www.telescope...ow-Profile-D...

or this one, but you will have to drill new holes and make a baseplate. I did so on a 8" Orion newt. Which is the same size Focuser hole as the 10" dob. Focuser works nice though.

http://agenaastro.co...tors-dual-sp...

which looks to be the same focuser as this.Just a smaller baseplate. This one here may be a direct drop in for your Celestron.

http://www.telescope...ow-Profile-D...

#4 christheman200

christheman200

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 26 August 2013 - 02:47 AM

I believe Moonlite focusers are $160 or so. This might be a good choice.

#5 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 26 August 2013 - 03:10 AM

Here is one I replaced mine with on my classic 10" Orion dob. Your base looks the same as the Orion, so it should drop right in. Nice focuser.

I noticed all the focusers you recommend are low profile focusers. The SW GOTO Dob seems to use a standard height (~3 inches) focuser so I am not sure why the low profile recommendation?

Jon

#6 cliff mygatt

cliff mygatt

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kitsap County, WA

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:40 AM

Here are two options:

1. Moonlight, the best choice though maybe more than you want to spend but you will never look back.
2. Scopestuff GSO focuser good quality and reasonable price.

Good Luck

#7 Pinbout

Pinbout

Cosmos

• Loc: nj

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:47 AM

Here are two options:

1. Moonlight, the best choice though maybe more than you want to spend but you will never look back.

and they sell spacers to make up the reduced height cause of the low profile.

#8 panhard

panhard

It's All Good

• Moderators
  • Loc: Markham Ontario Canada

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:05 AM

Of all focusers suggested I would go with the Moonlight.

#9 coutleef

coutleef

Soyuz

• Loc: Saint-Donat, Quebec, Canada

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:36 AM

i got a moonlite on my sw dob and very satisfied

#10 Dakota1

Dakota1

Viking 1

• Loc: West of the Mississippi

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:25 AM

Moonlite rocks. Call them and talk to Ron he will set you up with a quality focuser. They may cost a few dollars more but they are worth every penny. Thanks

Bill

#11 panhard

panhard

It's All Good

• Moderators
  • Loc: Markham Ontario Canada

Posted 26 August 2013 - 01:19 PM

I am extremely happy with my Feather touch, but given this situation the moonlight will be just fine.

#12 SkyGibbon

SkyGibbon

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 26 August 2013 - 03:50 PM

I noticed all the focusers you recommend are low profile focusers. The SW GOTO Dob seems to use a standard height (~3 inches) focuser so I am not sure why the low profile recommendation?

Jon

For my bigger dob, it enabled me to use my binoviewers with a minimal corrector. For my 8" it was for imaging purposes. You didn't mention money amount, so I chose a few decent focusers that I am familiar with and are reasonably priced. Didn't recommend a Moonlite, as I don't have any experiences with them. Everyone seems to love them though.

By the way, the drawtube extends out to make it normal height if need be.

#13 SteveG

SteveG

Skylab

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:21 PM

Another vote for Moonlite. Their single-speed focusers are so nice that if I wwere buying today I'd just get that. Get the one with the larger knobs.

#14 Joe Aguiar

Joe Aguiar

Vanguard

• Loc: none of your buss

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:50 PM

I thought the SW came with a dual speed focuser anyway with is the same one as all GSO focusers, Antares Orion ETC
so except for the moonlight most of the focuser are about the same quality as the SW model you got(if its the dual speed crayford focuser model) so I say keep it and use it
Joe

#15 actuary616

actuary616

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:29 PM

Thank everyone!
If I buy moonlite focuser, do I need to buy their base? if I buy their base, do I need to drill 4 new holes on the tube?

#16 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:27 PM

By the way, the drawtube extends out to make it normal height if need be.

If it extends out to the maximum of a standard drawtube then it would intrude into the light path under certain circumstances. My recommendation is to go with a standard height focuser to replace as standard height focuser unless there is some specific reason not to.

Myself, I have a variety of focusers including Feathertouch, JMI DX-1s, a JMI RCF fitted with a GSO microfocuser, Synta Crayfords (single and dual speed) and standard GSO two speeds.

The Feathertouch is certainly the best of the bunch but the others are also very effective focusers and handle everything I can throw at them, 31mm Nagler/20mm Type 2 Nagler + Paracorr is about about the max and over 3 lbs.

I like the standard GSO two speeds, they are simple but easy to clean and the pinion force is adjustable with a thumbscrew, a real advantage...

Jon

#17 SkyGibbon

SkyGibbon

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:51 PM

If it extends out to the maximum of a standard drawtube then it would intrude into the light path under certain circumstances.

I will take that back. It doesn't, as I have to pull the barrel of certain eyepieces out, even if I am all the way racked out. Either that, or I use an extension tube if I don't like the focuser being racked that far.

I did get mine to for certain purposes though, like you said. Plus, they are night and day above the stock focusers.

#18 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:02 AM

I did get mine to for certain purposes though, like you said. Plus, they are night and day above the stock focusers.

In my experience, the stock Synta/Orion Crayford is a decent focuser, there is no slop, they are smooth and with proper adjustment, they handle heavy eyepieces. The difficultly is that they lack the two speed and that to handle the heavy eyepieces they do not have that light touch of some focusers.

The GSO two speed is a step up and for visual purposes, they allow me to achieve accurate focus even at the highest magnifications with relative ease. There is no doubt that the Feathertouch is a nicer, more reliable focuser, arguably the best, but the GSO is sufficient and I am confident that if I replaced the Feathertouch with a GSO focuser, I would not lose any functionality, there would be little difference in my viewing experience with that particular scope.

Since the original poster is looking for a "good focuser(but not too expensive)" I would be looking for as used Skywatcher 2 speed on Astromart. They do make them. I recently upgraded the focuser on my 100mm F/6 Orion Achromat with a used Skywatcher Pro two speed, I am impressed, it did require initial adjustment but it lifts the three pounds plus of the 20mm type 2 Nagler plus a diagonal vertically with ease and yet is smooth and precise.

Jon

#19 coutleef

coutleef

Soyuz

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:50 AM

Thank everyone!
If I buy moonlite focuser, do I need to buy their base? if I buy their base, do I need to drill 4 new holes on the tube?

Yes better to do so and it made the installation of the moonlite easy without drilling new holes

#20 coutleef

coutleef

Soyuz

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:51 AM

Its been two years since i changed mine but it provedvto be easy to make the changee

#21 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:28 AM

The ScopeStuff 2-Speed Linear Bearing swapped right out with my stock crayford on my 10XTi....the linear bearing allows it to "hold" a heavier load.

#22 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:34 AM

I'm thinking about replacing the focuser on my 10" f/4.8 Dob - a C10NGT OTA - with a Moonlite. The main reason is that I want enough in-focus for my eyepieces to work in filter wheels without an OCA.

Mike

#23 mark379

mark379

Messenger

• Loc: New Jersey

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:42 PM

Just remember with the SW dob colapseable that the focuser will need an extension if going with a low profile like a moonlite. Moonlite dies sell the extension, so you will be fine if going that route.
Mark

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics