Windows 8 Solution

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Sgriffith62

Sgriffith62

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:11 AM

When you purchase a new computer, it comes loaded with Windows 8. Without the start button, many area lost. One solution is a small program that you install which gives your Start Button back and looks like Windows 7 or XP. Go to www.ninite.com. Download and install Classic Start. It is free.

#2 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-
  • Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:21 AM

That's a good idea. I've noticed a few utilities that change some of the basic functions of Windows 8.

Or someone could also wait until October when the first units start shipping with Windows 8.1 with it's fixes for some of the annoying Win8 characteristics.

#3 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 26 August 2013 - 01:57 PM

Or you can just wait for the big Win 8 update, the first Service Pack (though I don't know if that is what they call it). It will bring back the Start button.

#4 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:41 PM

MS spent millions developing and testing Win 8. Then they had thousands beta testing the product, asking for feedback--and did not listen to any of it.

#5 Scott Janssens

Scott Janssens

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:47 PM

MS spent millions developing and testing Win 8. Then they had thousands beta testing the product, asking for feedback--and did not listen to any of it.

MS bases a lot of their decisions on metrics gathered from people participating in the user feedback program. IIRC, the number of apps started via the start menu in Win7 was around 6%. The vast majority of apps are started from pinned icons on the start bar or icons on the desktop.

#6 budman1961

budman1961

Apollo

• Loc: Springfield, MO

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:54 PM

Just like Unk said, wait for the Windows 8.1 release.

#7 helpwanted

helpwanted

Aurora

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:46 PM

This link may be of help for you.

#8 herrointment

herrointment

Aurora

• Loc: North of Hwy. 64

Posted 27 August 2013 - 11:24 PM

I'm running a beta 8.1....only difference between Windows 7 and 8 in desktop mode is the speed with which Windows 8 accomplishes tasks. I ignore most of the new stuff and the features that are new that I do use are intuitive and simple.

What's not to like?

#9 Chucky

Chucky

Messenger

• Loc: Dublin, Ohio

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:21 AM

Why wait? Life is short. Just download the free Classic Shell and be done with things. W8 works very well this way. Not rocket science.

#10 Bob Griffiths

Bob Griffiths

Getting Grouchy

• Loc: Frederick Maryland

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:44 AM

I actually did download THE "FIX" or classic shell to get a "Real" start button shortly after I purchased my new desktop win"ders" 8 computer..

HOWEVER after using windows 8 for several months I removed the classic shell ...

The original windows 8 screen works just fine for me now... since I'm used to it... and learned you can type in any section of the W8 start screen to bring up the files you are looking for...

on an empty area of the screen just type DOCUMENTS and you go directly to documents ete etc etc

Bob G

#11 helpwanted

helpwanted

Aurora

Posted 30 August 2013 - 07:24 PM

I didn't know that Bob, will have to try it at work.

#12 Chucky

Chucky

Messenger

• Loc: Dublin, Ohio

Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:29 AM

<< I removed the classic shell ... >>
Did you ever consider leaving Classic Shell, and then just hit the Windows key on your keyboard to launch directly back to the W8 interface? Once there, you could then just type anywhere and have the search feature pop right up? And then just hit the Windows key again (use as a toggle key) to return back to the Windows 7 desktop. Classic Shell for me allows the best of all worlds.

#13 Bob Griffiths

Bob Griffiths

Getting Grouchy

• Loc: Frederick Maryland

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:28 AM

Chucky ...Yes I consider leaving the classic shell in place BUT I did not see a need for it ...

I am aware of the double tap on the windows key...its one of the reasons I decided no longer needed the classic shell.

Bob G

#14 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

• Loc: Inner Solar System

Posted 04 September 2013 - 11:21 AM

Here's what cemented my opinion of Microsoft:

I allowed the computer to download some MS "fixes" to XP. Immediately, I was unable to access the internet. I went to the library, and looked up the symptom. On some talk board, someone had posted to un-check the "use proxy server" box in Internet Options/Connections. I did this, and it worked again.

I opened a ticket with Microsoft, telling them the problem and the solution. The response of the MS techie (who I'm told is high up in the ranks) was that I obviously have some virus that the virus software doesn't see; that I need to wipe and reformat my disk drive and reinstall everything; and that I was a menace to the entire internet, and should not connect again until I have done that; and that I should know better and stop wasting his time.

Wait: a) everything is fine; b) I put on one of their "fixes"; c) it's broken.

This equates to "it's my own fault"??

I shoulda got a Mac.

#15 helpwanted

helpwanted

Aurora

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:46 PM

funny you said you should have gotten a Mac, along with the tag line of the four points of a compass... do you know what the icon to get to the internet (Safari) looks like?

#16 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

• Loc: Inner Solar System

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:57 PM

No; but now I'm guessing a compass?

#17 StarWars

StarWars

Mr. Postmaster Man

• Loc: At the Gym >Spudtastic<

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:15 AM

I opened a ticket with Microsoft, telling them the problem and the solution. The response of the MS techie (who I'm told is high up in the ranks) was that I obviously have some virus that the virus software doesn't see; that I need to wipe and reformat my disk drive and reinstall everything; and that I was a menace to the entire internet, and should not connect again until I have done that; and that I should know better and stop wasting his time.

I shoulda got a Mac.

Wow..

Talk about arrogance...... :o

Buy the Mac and show M$ crew a thing or two... :grin:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics