Terrified of Cleaning Corrector

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Jmax

Jmax

Viking 1

• Loc: Alabama

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:31 AM

My pride and joy C9.25 needs its corrector cleaned. It has pollen on it. It is not a lot, but I know it needs to be removed. I am actually more 'petrified' than 'terrified' at the thought that I could scratch it or damage it. I've tried a blower brush, and it does nothing.

I know pollen is 'grainy,' so I can't see how I can remove it without scratching, since it won't blow off. I know that others say to use windex and lens papers, or alcohol with a little Dawn. I just can't seem to overcome this fear that I will mess it up. It is so little that it doesn't effect the view, but I know it is damaging if left on the corrector.

#2 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators
  • Loc: Mandeville, LA USA

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:42 AM

It's really not that scary. I bought this kit and it works just great! Just follow the instructions and you'll be good to go. Just so you know, the coatings on a corrector are quite robust, kinda' like your eyepieces. It's not like cleaning a mirror.

David

#3 Jmax

Jmax

Viking 1

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:45 AM

That already makes me feel much better! Thanks David.

John

#4 JoeR

JoeR

Apollo

• Loc: Columbus, OH

Posted 26 August 2013 - 01:27 PM

Yes I just did mine with a home made solution of mostly distilled water and a little Windex & isopropyl alcohol cleaned with a microfiber cloth. Looks real nice now and even passes the flashlight test.

#5 mgwhittle

mgwhittle

Apollo

• Loc: Chattanooga, TN

Posted 26 August 2013 - 01:58 PM

Go to an art supply house, buy a wide flat white nylon Loew Cornell Artist brush. I am being specific about the brush because the white nylon brushes are very soft and will not scratch your corrector. Clean the brush with dish detergent and water and let dry thoroughly. Take said brush and while using a blower bulb gently brush off and blow the pollen away.

Then clean using a recommended procedure. That's how I do it.

#6 Qwickdraw

Qwickdraw

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Ann Arbor, MI

Posted 26 August 2013 - 04:01 PM

Its scary until you do it the 1st time. best to get that pollen off now.

#7 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 26 August 2013 - 04:25 PM

Don't worry! Despite the recommendations of Doc Clay's method, and using several other methods, I've concluded that if you're really picky like I am, it is IMPOSSIBLE to get a corrector back to day-1 levels of cleanliness. Every method I've ever used, and I've used most of them, has left residues of some kind on the corrector. Around the secondary and at the edges are particularly hard to get clean.

My advice - do the best you can. Don't expect perfection. Use and enjoy the scope no matter what results your method returns. As long as you use a soft brush and blower bulb to dislodge any big pieces, you're no going to hurt the glass or coatings using any modern cleaning solution - Zeiss, ROR, Pursol, etc.

Regards,

Jim

#8 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 26 August 2013 - 04:26 PM

I bought the same kit as David. Works great! It's not as difficult as you think it will be. You just have to decide it needs to be done.

#9 Joe Aguiar

Joe Aguiar

Vanguard

• Loc: none of your buss

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:46 PM

ya I was gonna say what david said the coating are real durable I mean don't use sandpaper but normally cleaning of it shouldn't hurt it
joe

#10 ewave

ewave

Apollo

• Loc: northwest NJ

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:12 PM

I just cleaned my C9.25 a month ago. I also used the same kit as David. I clean my corrector about once every two years, depending on the pollen seasons of that year. I've gotten so good I can clean it and dry it within 20 minutes now.

#11 Jmax

Jmax

Viking 1

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:43 PM

Thanks guys! I'm going to do it this weekend. It's been in my observatory and my new 80ed and 102gt are arriving this week to go in there as my viewing/photography setup. So I need to clean the 9.25 before putting it back in its case. I think I like the sound of the Televue method as it minimizes touching. Have any of you used this method? I'll report back after I do it.

#12 A. Viegas

A. Viegas

Apollo

• Loc: New York City/ CT

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:52 PM

A bit over a year-ago when I resurrected my interest in Astronomy, I had my 1993 Celestar C-8 sitting in a box for nearly 20 years... the corrector had gunk and the primary also had something growing there... Luckily, fellow CN member "Orion61" offers a cleaning service for a very low and reasonable price. I shipped it to him, he cleaned it, re-greased my focuser and flocked the inner tube. My Celestar C-8 has excellent optics and its like brand-new. I would never want to take it apart, but then again I am all thumbs... My advice, send it to Larry...

Al

#13 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators
  • Loc: Mandeville, LA USA

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:30 PM

ya I was gonna say what david said the coating are real durable I mean don't use sandpaper but normally cleaning of it shouldn't hurt it
joe

Some 600 grit wet sand isn't too bad. :lol: What I do for around the edges is get a handful of cotton swabs and as you sweep around the edges with the swab, rotate it. I said a handful and that's because when I do it, I allow one rotation of the swab and toss it. An 11" SC takes a LOT of swabs. ;)

David

#14 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: La Union, PI

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:39 PM

Don't worry! Despite the recommendations of Doc Clay's method, and using several other methods, I've concluded that if you're really picky like I am, it is IMPOSSIBLE to get a corrector back to day-1 levels of cleanliness. Every method I've ever used, and I've used most of them, has left residues of some kind on the corrector. Around the secondary and at the edges are particularly hard to get clean.

My advice - do the best you can. Don't expect perfection. Use and enjoy the scope no matter what results your method returns. As long as you use a soft brush and blower bulb to dislodge any big pieces, you're no going to hurt the glass or coatings using any modern cleaning solution - Zeiss, ROR, Pursol, etc.

Regards,

Jim

Jim, I agree totally. For some reason, and despite vigilant efforts with various processes, it does seem impossible to get them back to factory clean. I really don't understand why that is nor why the flashlight test (which we should ignore?) makes us cringe. I've even tried to clean to the flashlight test standard to no avail. We love our optics, so such attention to them has a diminishing return way up the time and effort scale.

#15 Qwickdraw

Qwickdraw

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Ann Arbor, MI

Posted 27 August 2013 - 05:49 AM

One thing I have read which makes sense but I cannot say I have examples as I have only cleaned one corrector. If you can be choosy do it on a day of low humidity or in an well air conditioned home and you well have much less streaking.

#16 Paul Schroeder

Paul Schroeder

Mariner 2

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:00 AM

joe

Some 600 grit wet sand isn't too bad. :lol: What I do for around the edges is get a handful of cotton swabs and as you sweep around the edges with the swab, rotate it. I said a handful and that's because when I do it, I allow one rotation of the swab and toss it. An 11" SC takes a LOT of swabs. ;)

David

I agree with David. I've found the Q tip approach works well for the final stubborn small spots. I'll often combine it with breathing on the glass to fog it up slightly prior to the final Q tip wipe.

It makes it fairly easy to eliminate most cleaning spots.

Paul

#17 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NC

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:25 AM

Jim, good advise and sure would like to get it like the day I got it, but can see it ain't gonna happen. I would also like to get rid od all those little spots from the dew. Unfortunately I waited too long to get a dew shield at first and went through to many dew cycles.

As far as Zeiss goes, can I use those little wipes they have, works great on my glasses?

Bob

#18 Full Sun

Full Sun

Vostok 1

• Loc: Ontario

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:47 PM

I will soon have to address the numerous water spots on my nearly new C-14 corrector to improve my prevailing, ongoing daily mood.It is a long story but I was in the final stages of my initial All-Star Alignment procedure- after two hours of restarts(center Altair in the eyepiece- a 2 minute procedure) when it suddenly clouded over. I was seeing glimpses of the bright star and hanging on until I realized that it started to rain in my observatory. So , that was a first for me! No harm done essentially but numerous H2O deposits were left all over on the corrector. I left it uncovered to dry and headed for bed at 2:30 AM a bit rattled.
Anyhow, after some research into cleaning ideas, I don't think Rolands' finger method with saliva is going to work; the scale of the deposits is too broad. I wonder if anyone has a word of advice on how to proceed working with a clean corrector and what cleaning solution might be more effective for these numerous tiny pin points that have invaded my glass?
Hijacking the thread a little but my motive is for the collective good.
Jerry

#19 Binojunky

Binojunky

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:10 PM

Pollen will if left on over time etch into a coating, nuf said,DA.

#20 HowardK

HowardK

Apollo

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:15 PM

The genuine Zeiss lens wipes work great for me

Finish off with my breath and pentax micro lens cloth

#21 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:58 PM

Sounds good, I will try it out on a few test spots!

#22 HowardK

HowardK

Apollo

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:33 PM

Let us know how u get on

#23 MrJones

MrJones

Apollo

• ****-
  • Loc: Indiana

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:20 AM

In my opinion after a few dozen corrector cleans and hundreds to thousands of other photography glass cleaning exercises, the best way to clean a corrector is the same as cleaning a mirror. Use mild dishwater detergent and running warm water and drain it on its side. Avoid touching it and swiping anything across it except to blot up excess water when you're done. You can leave the secondary attached, it's waterproof too.

#24 TG

TG

Apollo

• -----
  • Moderators
  • Loc: Latitude 47

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:56 AM

Regards,

Jim

I recently tired Doc Clay's solution and it did leave streaks on the corrector no matter what I did (the humidity was below the recommended 65%). Then I resorted to my secret weapon: acetone and the corrector is now good as new.

There is an application where Doc Clay's solution shines -- literally! -- : on my AR-coated flat-screen TV. Normally, this is impossible to get streak free but with the solution, and acetone for where my 3yo had smeared greasy food on it, it's as good as the day it came out of the box.

Statutory warning about acetone: use only a dampened tissue and never pour or spray directly on the optic. It won't damage the optic but will take paint off wherever it gets in contact with it such as on the retaining ring. Also, when wiping with acetone, lift off the tissue so that the remaining acetone is wicked off. If you don't do this, you can leave a residue from the acetone itself. Hardware store acetone is good enough.

Here's how Roland Christen cleans lenses to where they're restored to original factory condition

http://sdrv.ms/142mxkM

Tanveer.

#25 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:21 AM

Ok, just tried the wipes and they did pretty well an no residue left and finished with a micro cloth. It looks a lot better, but was not able to get the fine spots out. I guess it's too late as they probably have etched there way in the coatings.

Oh well, it won't hurt the performance any as they say and it does look a little prettier ;)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics