• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 Ron (Lubbock)

Ron (Lubbock)

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: West TX

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:14 PM

I've been waiting (not so patiently) to receive the Paramount MX that I ordered through Astronomics back in June. It's finally on the UPS truck direct from Bisque. I will now play tag with the UPS guy for the rest of the week until he finally just throws it up on the lawn without a signature, or perhaps leaves it with a neighbor without telling me. That's what happened previously with my CGEM and C11 Edge courtesy of UPS and Fedex, anyway.

I was hoping to actually get it during a part of the lunar cycle where imaging is not so great so I could start up the long and steep learning curve in the light-polluted back yard without wasting valuable imaging time. However, I'm just glad it's on the way at this point. 2 months is not such a bad wait when you consider what I could have suffered on some of the other waiting lists out there. :grin: Will post pictures once I have it assembled, but before I break it.

#2 darbyvet

darbyvet

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Seneca Falls, New York

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:23 PM

you are going to love it!! Now they have the all sky imaging worked out it is easy to set up.Just attach your imaging camera and take a picture doesnt matter where the scope is pointing.Do an image link at the software will plate solve the image.Synch on that image.Do an automated calibration run of 50 points and watch the scope wizz around on its own finding the 50 targets and plate solving the images.At this point the software will tell you how to adjust the mount to polar ailgn-it even tells you how mant turns on the adjustment knobs to use.Repeat the automated calibatration run with 100-200 tragets and have the software build a supermodel and you will likely have less than 20 arcsec pointing accuracy and be abvle to take severla minute unguided exposures with no guiding.

#3 WesC

WesC

Vanguard

• Loc: La Crescenta, CA

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:58 PM

Lucky lucky man! I think anytime spent with astronomy gear is time well spent!

HAVE FUN!

#4 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators
  • Loc: Mandeville, LA USA

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:46 PM

I'm envious. :grin: Looking forward to pictures of your new setup. Congratulations!!

David

#5 jarin

jarin

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Northern VA

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:15 PM

Awesome! You'll love it. I've had mine for about 15 months, and I've taken about 1750 subs so far (15 mins normally). With *1* bad one. 1, yep. And I probably caused that one. It's flawless, and makes great noises (Paramount's make the coolest electronic noises)!

Mine matched with the Rob Miller Tri36M tripod:

http://www.silvren.c...012/07/two1.jpg

Jeff

#6 Jesus Munoz

Jesus Munoz

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Querétaro, México

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:31 PM

Congratulations! Don't forget some unboxing pictures :breakdance:

#7 CharlesW

CharlesW

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Chula Vista & Indio, CA

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:33 PM

As Darbyvet mentioned, they just got the AllSky worked out but clouds are killing me. You'll love the mount but TSX Pro is a lot to take on all at once. If the USB cable seems like it will fall out at any minute, you can bend it under the alignment knob. Good luck.

#8 Wouter D'hoye

Wouter D'hoye

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Belgium

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:33 AM

Congrats. I'm sure you'll love yours as much as anybody else loves his. It's a great piece of kit and an investment you'll enjoy for many years to come.

Enjoy your new mount.

Wouter.

#9 Dave M

Dave M

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ohio

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:25 AM

Congrats! on a Beautiful mount, be sure and post pics after it arrives.

#10 Ron (Lubbock)

Ron (Lubbock)

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: West TX

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:52 PM

The automated polar alignment with plate-solving has me giddy just thinking about it. I'm like a 4 year old who had too much sugar! Have to get up early tomorrow so I can follow the UPS truck around town until they get the idea and fork it over. ;)

The strange thing is that the usual "new equipment curse" is nowhere in sight. That is, our weather forecast is looking extremely good for 4-5 days. I suppose that means the delivery will be delayed by 4-5 days!

#11 coz

coz

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:54 PM

Congrats

#12 frolinmod

frolinmod

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:11 PM

When you receive the mount I recommend not using the software CD in the box. Having been produced in large quantity it will likely contain oldish software. I recommend instead downloading and installing the latest full installer, update installer, latest daily build installer and all-sky image link file directly from the www.bisque.com website. In order to get access to the installer downloads you'll first need to create a username on the site and register your mount and software serial numbers to that username. Feel free to post lots and lots of questions as needed to the Bisque support forum on their website. Tom Bisque is back. His detailed and informative posts are always fun to read.

Be aware that severe handing in shipping can possibly knock mount adjustments out of whack. Please be mindful of this during the first week or so of mount operation.

#13 Wembley2000

Wembley2000

Ranger 4

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:38 PM

If you have a place where you can have the UPS guy leave it pretty securely you can sign up on UPS.com for ups mychoice, I think that is what it is called, and you can have them leave signature required items without a signature. I did that with my Mach One, but I live in the country and my porch hides any packages that they drop off.

BTW, congrats!

Wem

#14 psandelle

psandelle

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:42 PM

you are going to love it!! Now they have the all sky imaging worked out it is easy to set up.Just attach your imaging camera and take a picture doesnt matter where the scope is pointing.Do an image link at the software will plate solve the image.Synch on that image.Do an automated calibration run of 50 points and watch the scope wizz around on its own finding the 50 targets and plate solving the images.At this point the software will tell you how to adjust the mount to polar ailgn-it even tells you how mant turns on the adjustment knobs to use.Repeat the automated calibatration run with 100-200 tragets and have the software build a supermodel and you will likely have less than 20 arcsec pointing accuracy and be abvle to take severla minute unguided exposures with no guiding.

How long does that take from first star sighting to creating the model, the polar alignment, etc., to starting an AP run?

Thanks,

Paul

#15 CharlesW

CharlesW

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Chula Vista & Indio, CA

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:04 PM

If you have a permanent setup, you'll spend the whole first night getting your alignment points, polar, and PEC. After that, it's very quick. If you are portable, maybe an hour and a half.

#16 jarin

jarin

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Northern VA

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:36 PM

I'm 100% portable, and from the time I first Home the mount to imaging is about 20-30 minutes, not an hour and a half. I end up with a 20-point model and both axes showing Excellent polar alignment. Perfectly good for 6 hours straight of 15 min guided subs. I don't use PEC in the field. Once you get a routine down it's like 2nd nature. If I was pier-mounted, I'd spend all night with a 750 point model, SuperModel and PEC. :-)

Jeff

#17 darbyvet

darbyvet

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Seneca Falls, New York

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:20 PM

How long does that take from first star sighting to creating the model, the polar alignment, etc., to starting an AP run?

Thanks,

Paul

I do a 5 second exposure, 5 second dark frame and then it takes about 10 secs to plate solve and another 5-10 seconds to find the next target.

the supermodel takes about 30 sec to 2 minutes to build depending on the speed of your PC.

#18 Matt Houston

Matt Houston

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Florida

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:42 PM

I ordered mine back in March and got it last week. Stunning quality. Waaaay nicer quality compared to my old CGE Pro. The MX mount is easy to carry and I don't have to break down the mount like I had to do with the CGE Pro. You'll love it!

#19 psandelle

psandelle

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:25 PM

Thanks for the responses on how long it takes to get going. Still trying to figure out what my ultimate mobile mount will be, and with my limited days out at the darksite, every minute helps.

Paul

#20 orion69

orion69

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Croatia

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:11 PM

Do any of you guys guide with OAG and use PHD?
Could somebody please post PHD graph with OAG and PMX?

I'm deciding between Paramount MX and 10Micron GM1000HPS.

#21 saadabbasi

saadabbasi

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: 29N

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:13 PM

orion69, here's my guiding graph. The MX is tracking as we speak:

Posted Image

This is with a OAG. I don't have PEC trained nor am I using ProTrack.

#22 orion69

orion69

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:20 PM

That was fast, thank you!

What FL is that and what exposure?

#23 saadabbasi

saadabbasi

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: 29N

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:33 PM

Just 450mm, Knez at an image scale of 2.47"/pixel. Guider exposures are 5s and my imager's subs are 30 minutes.

Here is a 15 minute sub unguided, no PEC and no ProTrack: https://dl.dropboxus...83650/15min.jpg

#24 Bill Dean

Bill Dean

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Encinitas, CA

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:36 PM

Hi Paul,

Half an hour is about right. I use the polar alignment scope and it can speed up the process a bit if it's good and dark but the automated routine works well enough before it gets good and dark that I would probably skip the polar scope, it really isn't necessary.

Clear skies,
Bill

#25 orion69

orion69

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:46 PM

Just 450mm, Knez at an image scale of 2.47"/pixel. Guider exposures are 5s and my imager's subs are 30 minutes.

Here is a 15 minute sub unguided, no PEC and no ProTrack: https://dl.dropboxus...83650/15min.jpg

Thanks, Saad!

That is impressive 15 min unguided sub!
Do you notice any difference in quality of guiding near equator vs closer to Polaris?
I wander how would PMX perform with 150mm refractor, around 18-19kg total weight, FL 750-1000mm ...

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics