• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#51 Ron (Lubbock)

Ron (Lubbock)

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: West TX

Posted 30 August 2013 - 03:11 PM

Honestly, the funky noises and red lights concern me a bit. It's only a matter of time before some drunk cowboy mistakes my PMX for a UFO. I'm 3 hrs. or so away from Roswell here. No worries- it's not like people in rural Texas carry guns or anything. :drool:

Unguided with your C11 at native focal length? Wow. I'll be happy if I can get PhD to agree with the mount tonight. Looks like absolutely perfect weather in place for tonight, so I hope I don't mess things up with the human errors.

#52 frolinmod

frolinmod

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 30 August 2013 - 03:36 PM

I've used PhD with the most recent ASCOM TheSkyX telescope driver configured to permit directguide to be used (hence no need for a guide cable). It works very well.

#53 Psyire

Psyire

Apollo

• Loc: 55* North

Posted 30 August 2013 - 06:37 PM

Looking good Ron.I bought a cradle for my c11 so it is bolted directly to the versa plate.

Sorry to interrupt but what cradle did you go with and do you like it?

#54 jarin

jarin

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Northern VA

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:28 PM

Ron - couple of comments.

The noises, etc, you'll get used to, and come to appreciate, you can tell what a Paramount is doing (or not doing) by the noises it makes. It becomes re-assuring after a while.

As to P.A. - dig into the TPoint PDF manual heavily. First master manually setting up 6 or 8 points, then once you have that down, move into the automated stuff. Don't forget to Home the mount before each TPoint run. It takes a few tries, but after a bit you'll have it down, and you can press Go, and kick back and watch the mount as it whizzes around plate-solving. I still get a kick out of it 16 months later.

Jeff

#55 frolinmod

frolinmod

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 30 August 2013 - 11:27 PM

You don't need to home before each Tpoint run, but you do need to sync after you mess with the ALT/AZ adjustment knobs.

You only need to home after turning power on to the mount, after turning the worm release knob(s) (such as after balancing) or after the mount thinks it ran into something or otherwise loudly complains about something and stops.

#56 darbyvet

darbyvet

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Seneca Falls, New York

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:52 AM

If you can all sky image link you dont need to do manual points - just let it plate solve so it can figure out where it is.

#57 darbyvet

darbyvet

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Seneca Falls, New York

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:33 AM

Looking good Ron.I bought a cradle for my c11 so it is bolted directly to the versa plate.

Sorry to interrupt but what cradle did you go with and do you like it?

It actually is a set of OTA rings from Parallax instruments.They are very well made and give me a rock solid way of mounting my c11 and there are holes at the top of the rings for mounting a second scope.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics