After they retired for the evening, I kept on staring at the dim blob that was M31 and out of simple curiosity tried holding up my iPhone 5 to the IIE and taking a video. When I got back home to Boston I realized there was no reason I shouldn't finally try my hand at AVI stacking. After wrestling a couple hours trying to get the iPhone's XVID-encoded (I think) .MOV files converted to a format that AviStack could digest, I tried a couple nearly completely-automated stackings. I only intervened at the frame alignment point, and to apply Registax wavelet post-processing. It was my first time with Registax as well!
The first photo below is the result of a 3-second burst of roughly 50 frames; the second is about 11 seconds long with about 130 frames. The reduction in noise in the longer exposure was a nice surprise, along with the detail: though the actual view through the IIE has much more speckles the overall resolution is similar to the second picture thanks to their brief and random nature.
(Right-click and choose "View Image" to show a bigger version of the photos.)
I was very pleased at just how easy the whole process was, and that I could do all this with just an iPhone hand-held up to the IIE's eyepiece. RIP, Steve Jobs.
I'm sure everyone here is already a pro at all this, but if anyone still wants to know what programs I used and the ridiculously simple steps I took in AviStack itself, just pipe up!
Thanks to cnoct and jdbastro for their significant help and continuous encouragement with getting me up to speed with my own IIE. Living in a white zone and with room only for small scopes, I'm eternally grateful that I got into image intensified eyepieces early!