• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 James74

James74

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sacramento, CA

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:59 PM

On another note from the earlier post, I have seen at least 4 meteors consistent with the Perseid meteor shower. I understand that meteor shower predictions are only estimates and that meteor density is dependent on the dust density of the comet remnants. Is it possible that we hit another dense patch?

#2 GlennLeDrew

GlennLeDrew

Voyager 1

• Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:28 AM

I thought the Perseid stream was wide enough to result in meteors for weeks before and after the peak...

#3 Moondoggy

Moondoggy

Mariner 2

• Loc: Beyond the Ort Cloud and Second Star to the Right

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:53 AM

Guys,I have noticed the same meteor movement here in Southern Middle Tennessee. Very Cool !
Bill

#4 James74

James74

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sacramento, CA

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:01 PM

I didn't track them, but I did see 4 in a 6 min period. I think I may have missed a couple on top of that out of the corner of my eye. It was enough to catch my eye when I want looking for them.

#5 skywatch27

skywatch27

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: ontario, canada

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:46 AM

I was in a small town, Simcoe Ont. Canada last Saturday night [Aug. 24) 42.833N 80.3000W.
At approx. 9pm DST 4 fireballs, over the span of approx. four minutes. came out of the east and went through Ursa Major. All of them followed the same path skimming past Alioth and all were orange in colour.
Unfortunately our backs were against an apartment wall so we couldn't tell their exact path from the east but I just assumed they were Perseids.

#6 AstroTatDad

AstroTatDad

Apollo

• Loc: Los Angeles - San Diego

Posted 29 August 2013 - 07:42 PM

Around 3:30am this morning I stepped out side, it was very nice out. The moon was up but the skies were so nice and clear. No glow around the Moon at all, the skies around the moon were nice and dark. I stayed out for maybe 45mins, just with a pair of Binoculars and I'm glade I did. I seen a total of 7 meteors, 3 of the meteors that I seen were nice big bright orange ones. Great viewing out this AM even with the moon out, the moon agreed with a big smile. :)

#7 groz

groz

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Campbell River, BC

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:56 PM

We wont be missing many meteors here anymore.

Moved into a new home on Aug 15, and I finally got the all-sky camera set up and running. It's new to us, so I'm still learning how to calibrate frames from it, and will be experimenting some with exposure times. I took this on the evening of Aug 25.

http://youtu.be/9-FL_brgZ6M

30 second exposures, using a Starlight Xpress Occulus all-sky camera.

Whole bunch of airplanes, a bunch of satellites, and at least one meteor.

On the next clear night, I'm going to experiment a bit with 10 and 15 second exposures.

#8 PhaedrusUpshaw

PhaedrusUpshaw

Mariner 2

• Loc: Southwestern Indiana

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:20 PM

We wont be missing many meteors here anymore.

Moved into a new home on Aug 15, and I finally got the all-sky camera set up and running. It's new to us, so I'm still learning how to calibrate frames from it, and will be experimenting some with exposure times. I took this on the evening of Aug 25.

http://youtu.be/9-FL_brgZ6M

30 second exposures, using a Starlight Xpress Occulus all-sky camera.

Whole bunch of airplanes, a bunch of satellites, and at least one meteor.

On the next clear night, I'm going to experiment a bit with 10 and 15 second exposures.

Great video, very impressive.
Clear Skies,
Bill

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics