• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 donnie3

donnie3

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: bartlesville oklahoma

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:19 AM

I took my Samsung 435 camera out last night and discovered one of the things I was not focusing on, FOCUS! this was the reason I was not getting good results. dumb me!!!! I went to a real bright star and focused on it. trial and error for a rookie. my question is about my mount (celestron se) on the hand controller it has a key for stars where do you find the catalog nombers for each star say for example I wont to find Polaris, what number do I enter. thanks, donnie

#2 Dragon Man

Dragon Man

Vanguard

• Loc: Snake Valley, Australia

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:22 AM

Donnie, use the 'LIST' button and go to 'Named Stars' :)
Then you can find stars by name.

The 'STARS' button only uses the SAO numbers and practically no-one knows them without looking each one up in a book or online.
It is only good when you want to look at a star that doesn't have a name, but has a SAO number :waytogo:

#3 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:54 AM

And I think Polaris is the only SAO # I know by heart ... 000 001. If you want Polaris I find it's faster to enter the SAO # than to scroll through the named stars list.

Donnie:

I find a reasonably bright star by itself useful for getting a quick and dirty focus. If you also have a Bahtinov focusing mask this is maybe all you'll need to do (it's an excellent way of getting a good accurate focus). I personally don't use a mask (too lazy to make one up so far ... lol) but I will also point at a brighter globular cluster (M13, M3, M5, etc.) and use that to fine tune my focus with a video camera. I look for faint stars in the cluster that just become visible when I'm in focus. I also find the clusters useful to check the quality of the stars in the corners of my fov.

#4 donnie3

donnie3

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: bartlesville oklahoma

Posted 27 August 2013 - 11:32 AM

thanks very much for the info, donnie

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics