CGEM-DX first impressions.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Stargazer78

Stargazer78

Viking 1

• Loc: Susanville California

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:59 AM

My CGEM-DX arrived today. The boxes were huge and heavy. As I tore into the bigger of the three boxes my eyes widened when I saw how huge the tripod was. I wrestled it out of the box and placed it on the floor. I then went for the second box which held the mount and my god this thing was enormous and heavy too. I assembled everything in the middle of the living room. When I was done I was just in awe of the quality and size of this monster. Fast forward to 7:00pm I set everything up and waited until dark. I was so excited to try this out that I could hardly wait. 9:00pm rolled around and a quick bore site of Polaris and I was off with my two star alignment. Once done and calibration stars were added the polar alignment routine was up next. Tonight was going to be a great night of imaging I could feal it!!! Then my *BLEEP* of a neighbor decided to turn on his back yard flood lights. I was so looking forward to trying this out on my last day off from work and the night was ruined. I knocked on his door to poletly ask if he could turn them off.... No response..... However I could see him moving about his home through a window. I attempted to call...... no answer...... Enraged at how inconsiderate my *BLEEP* neighbor was my wife had to calm me down because I was going to rip that dam light off of his porch and shove it somewhere fitting. However I decided to call it a night and pack everything in. Once I was done the *BLEEP* turned off the light. So in closing..... The mount worked flawlessly. The little time I had with it tonight was great. If you are thinking of getting this mount do not hesitate!!!! But be warned it is very large and very heavy!!!!! Hopefully next week I will be able to give it a proper trial.

#2 dragonslayer1

dragonslayer1

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: SLC, UT

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:24 AM

you should have ordered a (deleted for P/C purposes) for porch lights along with your mount :lol:, What were you using before as a mount? I am running a 9.25 on a CG-5 right now and am looking to upgrade mounts in the future. Hope to read a follow up on how it performs when conditions give you more time, Kasey

#3 Stargazer78

Stargazer78

Viking 1

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:41 AM

Trust me I almost got it out lol. Just needed to vent. I had a cg5 as well. It was a great mount but my payload was pushing it to the limits. If you are considering the DX don't hesitate. It is a very impressive mount!!!

#4 shark-bait

shark-bait

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Port Richey, FL USA

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:11 PM

I felt the same excitement when unboxing my DX. The only difference was that I was "hiding" it from my wife in the garage while assymbling it. I thought maybe she wouldn't realize the difference between it and my old mount. When I finally got it together I realized there really is no "hiding" it. I took my lumps and moved on. Afterall, It is easier to ask forgiveness than permission! :grin:

The mount is great and very attractive. Looking forward to an update.

#5 Stargazer78

Stargazer78

Viking 1

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:18 PM

Why cant they just understand these things are needed in life. I waited until mine arrived to tell her!

#6 dragonslayer1

dragonslayer1

Apollo

• -----

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:22 PM

We must share neighbors with porch lights helping us use the telescopes LOL, throwing a little light on things for us.. :help:I bust out laughing at shark baits post, trying to hide it,, been there /done that with UPS-FED-EX pkgs of small items delivery, but that was too much trying to slip a whole mount past the eye of a woman,,,, :foreheadslap: they notice everything LOL, great post,
Kasey

#7 Stargazer78

Stargazer78

Viking 1

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:56 PM

Here is a pic of the new mount.

Posted Image

#8 WesC

WesC

Vanguard

• Loc: La Crescenta, CA

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:13 PM

Hahaha! We both have the same stool! I thought I was the only one killing myself with that little rolling stool. ;)

I really need to get a real observing chair.

#9 Ron (Lubbock)

Ron (Lubbock)

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: West TX

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:48 PM

You must be my next door neighbor, because I seem to have the same *BLEEP* with the floodlights living right behind me. :lol:

Fortunately, I do all imaging out at a dark site, and the back yard is only used for testing new equipment. Thus, the floodlight does nothing of any consequence.

#10 fetoma

fetoma

Vanguard

• Loc: Southern New Jersey

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:52 PM

I knocked on his door to poletly ask if he could turn them off.... No response..... However I could see him moving about his home through a window. I attempted to call...... no answer.

You are a better man than I. Ignoring you was extremely rude. Now I'm a follower of Jesus, but have been known to sin, and would have. I've done it before. Why is it so hard for some folks to be considerate? Especially your neighbor. :thumbsdown:

#11 cougarone

cougarone

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:23 PM

I also unpacked mine in the garage because my better half never goes in the garage, but she did, 10 minutes after unpacking, :cool: I was busted.
I have only used it once due to clouds (and my job). Compared to my CGEM it performed well, it did not whine or struggle under the load (I was a bit overloaded, I think).

#12 shark-bait

shark-bait

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:54 PM

Mine is always overloaded. :)

Attached Files

#13 dragonslayer1

dragonslayer1

Apollo

• -----

Posted 29 August 2013 - 02:52 PM

you have a estimate on weight you were/are running? thank you, Kasey

#14 Stargazer78

Stargazer78

Viking 1

Posted 29 August 2013 - 03:08 PM

Wow nice setup! What is the total weight? How does it perform for astrophotography?

#15 shark-bait

shark-bait

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 29 August 2013 - 04:38 PM

Wow nice setup! What is the total weight? How does it perform for astrophotography?

Thanks! Due to heavy light pollution I have never shot longer than 90 second subs, unguided with no noticeable errors. The fast scope really hates LP. With the Camera it weighs a tad over 40lbs. Unguided, I would suspect 180 second subs would be no problem.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics