Three DSOs around Draco

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Puck Ja

Puck Ja

Viking 1

• Loc: OK, USA

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:03 AM

I was pleasantly surprised that Draco Trio (NGC 5985, 5982, 5981) can fit in the FOV of XT8 @ F/3 + Lodestar. I had some short time exposure on it before. Here is a longer time shot of a single frame of 120s with minimum processing.

With some 4-frame stacking and a touch of StarTools. I would love to see such image under the sky every night! :)
Posted Image
darco trio_120s_str2_stack4_STools

And here is the single frame with minimum processing.

Attached Files

#2 Puck Ja

Puck Ja

Viking 1

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:08 AM

And here is the single frame 180s M102 at below:

The stacked and processing one here:
http://www.flickr.co...N06/9611958844/

Attached Files

#3 Puck Ja

Puck Ja

Viking 1

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:12 AM

M101 apparently needs more exposure time, but my sky didn't allow it until I got the Orion Skyglow filter. Hopefully soon!. Such diffused objects (such as this one and M33) are certainly difficult to view clearly. Another difficult target in my list was Bubble nebular. We will see if the filter helps!

Here is the 180s single frame with minimum processing.

Attached Files

#4 DuaneS

DuaneS

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 28 August 2013 - 11:26 AM

WOW! Nice images. Looks like the Lodestar color can be quite a performer. I have the B&W that I use for a guide camera
Duane

#5 Puck Ja

Puck Ja

Viking 1

Posted 28 August 2013 - 12:10 PM

Thanks! If you ever plan to use the Lordestar for imaging cam, you should consider getting filter ring for it. I think it will perform very well with RGB or narrowband imaging.

I wished I had both color and B&W version of it. :)

#6 pdfermat

pdfermat

Apollo

• Loc: Wisconsin

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:25 PM

These are great - I'd love to see more!!! I'm looking at the Orion g3 as my entry level osc cam, but I'll have to do some serious research on the Lodestar now as well. Are you autoguiding?

#7 Puck Ja

Puck Ja

Viking 1

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:57 PM

Yes, I use SSAG to autoguide. Now I can spend less time worry about my PA but more time to do the imaging. :)

@Pat
Are you going to use your XT12i for imaging?

#8 Jack Huerkamp

Jack Huerkamp

Vendor - Waning Moon

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Louisiana

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:36 PM

Puck Ja,

Ver nice. I was introduced to this Trio in Draco last Friday night, August 24th. Don was broadcasting on NSN and had the 3 galaxies on the screen. After a little while he shifted the Trio to the left and a fourth, much fainter galaxy fit into the field of view. I snagged a video from my PC screen and posted it to YouTube. Here is the link to the video:

http://youtu.be/elj2Wy-1_ks

Whenever I get my observatory finished and my scope installed, I will have to search out this string of galaxies.

Thanks for sharing.

Jack Huerkamp

#9 pdfermat

pdfermat

Apollo

• Loc: Wisconsin

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:04 PM

Yes, I use SSAG to autoguide. Now I can spend less time worry about my PA but more time to do the imaging. :)

@Pat
Are you going to use your XT12i for imaging?

No - I can't even imagine the mount I'd need for that thing! I'm considering dipping my toe into the imaging pool. The eqip. I'm considering is an 8" SCT on an Atlas mount, autoguided, with (and this is where I'm not sure) some type of an entry level osc ccd like the Orion g3 (or maybe a Lodestar!). I'm not interested in doing a lot of post-processing, and want to keep that visual "in the field" experience.

#10 Puck Ja

Puck Ja

Viking 1

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:42 PM

After a little while he shifted the Trio to the left and a fourth, much fainter galaxy fit into the field of view.

Jack, thanks for pointing that out. I will give that one a try . My F/3 should have plenty FOV to accommodate the forth one. It should be easy target because it is a galaxy with tight formation. But we will see. :)

#11 Puck Ja

Puck Ja

Viking 1

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:47 PM

No - I can't even imagine the mount I'd need for that thing! I'm considering dipping my toe into the imaging pool. The eqip. I'm considering is an 8" SCT on an Atlas mount, autoguided, with (and this is where I'm not sure) some type of an entry level osc ccd like the Orion g3 (or maybe a Lodestar!). I'm not interested in doing a lot of post-processing, and want to keep that visual "in the field" experience.

Best wishes to your new setup. The processing I am doing takes negligible time comparing to the time to take the shot. What I have been doing was to let the camera take next series of shots and I work on the previous one for some wonderful view. It is always exciting to see what I cannot see with visual only setup.

#12 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 28 August 2013 - 11:45 PM

I've always enjoyed this trio of galaxies. I captured them in early July.

TMB 115 refractor, @f5.6 (using .8x reducer), Mallincam Xtreme 60s exposure, Dazzle DVC-100 capture, no filters, mag 5 sky. This is a raw capture, no adjustments.

Attached Files

#13 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

• Loc: London UK

Posted 29 August 2013 - 02:57 AM

Nice thread and interesting shots and technique - it's good to see DSO stuff other than Messiers and a few seconds with a sensitive camera zaps visual every time ;-)

#14 Moromete

Moromete

Viking 1

• Loc: Romania

Posted 29 August 2013 - 03:20 AM

M101 apparently needs more exposure time, but my sky didn't allow it until I got the Orion Skyglow filter. Hopefully soon!. Such diffused objects (such as this one and M33) are certainly difficult to view clearly. Another difficult target in my list was Bubble nebular. We will see if the filter helps!

Here is the 180s single frame with minimum processing.

Again, very nice images Puck!

Below is a 60s M33 (low in the sky) taken with LodestarC processed with Non-Linear Stretch and Normal Stretch.

Attached Files

#15 Puck Ja

Puck Ja

Viking 1

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:18 AM

TMB 115 refractor, @f5.6 (using .8x reducer), Mallincam Xtreme 60s exposure, Dazzle DVC-100 capture, no filters, mag 5 sky. This is a raw capture, no adjustments.

Thanks for sharing. You had big FOV on this shot. Can you identify NGC 5976 (which should be in the FOV)? It seems that the amp glow happened to be in the way.

#16 Puck Ja

Puck Ja

Viking 1

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:22 AM

Are you using any filter on the M33? There is some green cast on the whole frame.

Another trick that nytecam showed me is to use the "Color Overloading Smoothing" to get rid of the small blue dots in your M33 image. It takes about 10~16 passes (clicks, < 1s for 1 pass) depending on how much you stretch the histogram or lower you white level.
And it works great!

#17 DuaneS

DuaneS

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:47 AM

What software are you using to capture images with the Lodestar?

#18 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:00 AM

Thanks for sharing. You had big FOV on this shot. Can you identify NGC 5976 (which should be in the FOV)?

The horizontal axis is about 34 arc/min in this shot.

NGC 5976 is about a cm in from the left edge and just above center, in line with the other 3 galaxies. You can identify the it from it's color (yellow/brown core) and that it's slightly fuzzy. At this scale however many small galaxy cores look almost stellar like.

The galaxies will show up better with any enhancement to the image. The night this was taken the transparency wasn't great, there was a fair amount of water vapour in the air which makes the light pollution worse (and increases background noise substantially).

#19 Puck Ja

Puck Ja

Viking 1

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:33 AM

What software are you using to capture images with the Lodestar?

SX software (lodestarc_usb.exe). While it had some quirks, it works nicely with Lodestar image. And I am quite used to it.

#20 Puck Ja

Puck Ja

Viking 1

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:35 AM

NGC 5976 is about a cm in from the left edge and just above center, in line with the other 3 galaxies. You can identify the it from it's color (yellow/brown core) and that it's slightly fuzzy.

OK, I see it. I was looking too much up (wrong shift from the line formed by Draco Trio). It was actually downward due to flip between image and my chart.

Thanks! That was cool!

#21 Moromete

Moromete

Viking 1

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:12 PM

Are you using any filter on the M33? There is some green cast on the whole frame.

Another trick that nytecam showed me is to use the "Color Overloading Smoothing" to get rid of the small blue dots in your M33 image. It takes about 10~16 passes (clicks, < 1s for 1 pass) depending on how much you stretch the histogram or lower you white level.
And it works great!

The green color cast is a software processing error. I have used no filter.

I'll try the "Color Overloading Smoothing". Thanks for sharing!

Below is a single 180s unguided M33.

Attached Files

#22 Moromete

Moromete

Viking 1

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:16 PM

I forgot to say that M33 images were taken with a ST80 at F3.5.

#23 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

• Loc: London UK

Posted 29 August 2013 - 02:11 PM

Are you using any filter on the M33? There is some green cast on the whole frame. Another trick that nytecam showed me is to use the "Color Overloading Smoothing" to get rid of the small blue dots in your M33 image. It takes about 10~16 passes (clicks, < 1s for 1 pass) depending on how much you stretch the histogram or lower you white level. And it works great!

The green color cast is a software processing error. I have used no filter. I'll try the "Color Overloading Smoothing". Thanks for sharing! Below is a single 180s unguided M33.

Colour balance via the SX Lodestar s/ware is very sensitive but pretty accurate if not abused! After colour synthasis, the three RGB sliders must be be moved by identical amounts otherwise a strong colour bias results. Colour saturation [depth of colour] is a separate option. ;)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics