• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Daniel Guzas

Daniel Guzas

Viking 1

• Loc: Bethlehem NH/ Boston MA

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:19 PM

Hello

Well I have bought my scope . A Sky Watcher pro 120 ED and will be picking it up tomorrow.

You know what that means..??? I need a mount.!!!

From what advice I have been given the CG5 would be a good buy for me as these are being replaced by a newer model, the Advanced VX. However being someone who does not want to have any regrets and has taken a lot of time looking at mount options... Would the Advanced VX be overkill? For visual??

As I stated I do not do astro photography so this is not a primary goal for my mount. I am interested in ease of set up and good tracking and GO TO since I live in a pretty light polluted area...

So would you shell out the extra $200 for the VX?? It still seems like a good deal..with some upgrades over the older CG5..

You all have been great so far with your advice and I am very appreciative of all the info you have presented me. Both in finding and narrowing down a scope..and advice on mounts...

I appreciate your thoughts on the above!!

#2 dragonslayer1

dragonslayer1

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: SLC, UT

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:31 PM

Are savings on a CG-5 ASGT worth not getting AVX?
check this thread just below yours,
Kasey

#3 A. Viegas

A. Viegas

Apollo

• Loc: New York City/ CT

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:16 PM

As i said in the prior thread, you can buy a used CG5-AGST for $400-475. That makes it basically 50% cheaper than the AVX. For purely visual and your 120ED it will be more than sufficient. If your decide to get into AP later on it will also get you started well. Unless you absolutely dislike purchasing used, I would say its a no-brainer to buy a gently used CG5 for under $500. I think you may even be able to find a new CG5-AGST in remaining stock at one of the reputable dealers for $550-600 or so...

Al

#4 Stelios

Stelios

Surveyor 1

• Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:58 PM

I haven't used an AVX, but the CG-5 is a great mount that will easily handle your scope, so other than possibly resale value, I don't see the reason to spend more.

#5 Mike4242

Mike4242

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: West Tennessee

Posted 28 August 2013 - 06:59 PM

You could buy a nice eyepiece with what you save by going with the CG-5. Only thing I don't like about the CG-5 is that it will scratch up your dovetail. Looks like the new AVX saddle might not scratch them up as bad. Dovetails are pretty cheap to replace though.

#6 seawolfe

seawolfe

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: N 47.11.23 W 122.20.18

Posted 29 August 2013 - 07:59 AM

You could buy a nice eyepiece with what you save by going with the CG-5. Only thing I don't like about the CG-5 is that it will scratch up your dovetail. Looks like the new AVX saddle might not scratch them up as bad. Dovetails are pretty cheap to replace though.

My dovetail on my AVX gets scratched and dented but the holding screws. It's only superficial and cosmetic damage anyway. :smirk:

#7 Mike4242

Mike4242

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: West Tennessee

Posted 29 August 2013 - 07:18 PM

It's only superficial and cosmetic damage anyway.

Yeah, it took me a while to just accept it and move on.

#8 Daniel Guzas

Daniel Guzas

Viking 1

• Loc: Bethlehem NH/ Boston MA

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:11 PM

Thanks all. I went with the Celestron AVX. With free shipping it seems like a great deal.... I still have to unbox it and put it together but that will be the fun part. I hope it serves me well for a number of years. As this is my first GEM I have a lot to learn. But I am pretty good technically, so I’m looking forward to the challenge.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics