• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Michal1

Michal1

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Czech Republic, Central Europe

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:40 PM

At my observing site, the dark polar nebulae are faintly visible by naked eye at good nights. They reach Polaris from in two streams - one from Cepheus and the other from Cassiopeia. One night, when they were exceptionally well visible, I decided to shoot them. After a busy day, I was tired, so I forgot that I was exposing. In spite of much longer time, than I originally intended, the frame doesn't come out overexposed. Polaris is the bright star near the half of the left side.
Pentax 6x7, Takumar 55mm, f/5.6, 101 min, Kodak E200
Posted Image
Click the thumbnail to see the image in higher resolution.

CS, Michal.

#2 THEPLOUGH

THEPLOUGH

ELEVEN Grandchildren; FIVE Ducklings

• Loc: Carlisle, Cumbria, ENGLAND

Posted 28 August 2013 - 06:05 PM

Great shot... :bow:

#3 TxStars

TxStars

Apollo

• Loc: Lost In Space

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:17 AM

Looks good.
I like the little meteor to the right side.

#4 Nebhunter

Nebhunter

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Frostbite Falls

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:36 PM

Very nice Michal. Really good contrast without blown details. Smooth as well. Processing detail - looks like a longer exposure with No Push process under dark skies?

igor

#5 Michal1

Michal1

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Czech Republic, Central Europe

Posted 29 August 2013 - 03:47 PM

Thanks for compliments!
I don't know whether that thing it is a meteor or a satellite. From the shape it seems to be more likely a satellite. I haven't took a lot of shots with this lens, but it seems to be a little "blind" to me. Once when I was exposing with this lens, a bright meteor of -1 mag flight over the camera's field of view. However, there is no trace of it on the film (1 stop pushed E200).

Igor, I have played a lot with post processing of the frame. I have applied HDR software several times and employed local adjustments. You have guessed right - the film wasn't pushed. The night was one of the best ten of the last year. However, I believe you or Nightfly have much darker skies. I rate my site as better Bortle 4 in average.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics