Nexus 7 rebooting problem

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 David Knisely

David Knisely

Hubble

• Loc: southeastern Nebraska

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:55 PM

I had purchased a new Nexus 7 16GB from Best Buy (Kudos to them for their service BTW) and used it with Sky Safari Pro during the Nebraska Star Party. Its GPS appeared to function only occasionally, but I was assured this was a software issue and not something wrong with the unit itself. However, the Nexus 7 I got had a nasty habit of abruptly re-booting somewhat at random, rendering what I had done earlier with the unit moot. Sometimes it would go an hour or two between reboots, while other times, it would reboot within minutes of startup or once or twice a session. I sent in the "bug reports" promptly and kept waiting for Google/Asus/whatever to come out with an update, but nothing seemed to fix it. When the last Android update came out early this week, the GPS started working well and it seemed that the unit I got was also not re-booting, until after an hour of use, it abruptly did it again. Frustrated, I took it back to Best Buy and (for another $40) upgraded it to the Nexus 7 32GB version. That did it, as the unit appears to be fully functional and does not re-boot (at least over the past four to six hours or so). So, for those of you who have a rebooting problem, the solution appears to be simple: TAKE IT BACK! Clear skies to you.

#2 Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak

Apollo

• Loc: Northeast, Florida

Posted 29 August 2013 - 02:38 PM

Hi David,

What version Android was your unit running? Settings>About Tablet> see Android Version 4.? My Nexus 7 32g is from December 2012.

I have seen several reboots since updating from 4.2.2 to 4.3. I had NO reboots in 4.2.2. It seems some of the software running in 4.2.2 will randomly reboot in 4.3. I had another upgrade yesterday with the same version 4.3 and have not had any reboots, yet.
My :penny: :penny:

peace & clear skies,

#3 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 29 August 2013 - 06:51 PM

What version Android was your unit running? Settings>About Tablet> see Android Version 4.? My Nexus 7 32g is from December 2012.

I believe David has the new Nexus 7 with the 1920 x 1200 screen, it's the one with the GPS problem. I bought one several weeks ago, also from Best Buy. At the outset, everything was hunky-dory but with a couple of days the BlueTooth quit working.

The Bluetooth is important because I use PDAnet+ to tether the Nexus to my Version HTC Incredible when I am away from wireless. I called Google, actually got a technician on the phone in under 5 minutes. We went through some tests, did a hard reset, the Bluetooth was still not working, Google told me, Take It Back...

I took it back to Best Buy. I told them the problem, they asked me if I wanted an exchange, I said yes.. they didn't have one but a nearby store did.. they arranged it all, I had a new Nexus 7..

So far this new one is a winner.

Jon

#4 Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak

Apollo

• Loc: Northeast, Florida

Posted 29 August 2013 - 07:00 PM

OK thanks Jon, then nothing I said applied. :) Didn't know the 2013 model had GPS problems. I'm waiting on a 2013 with 4G LTE release then I upgrade.

peace & clear skies,

#5 snorkler

snorkler

Aperture Aficionado

• Loc: Bay Area, California

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:36 PM

The Nexus 7 (2013) GPS/rebooting issues have apparently been addressed with a firmware upgrade.

#6 David Knisely

David Knisely

Hubble

• Loc: southeastern Nebraska

Posted 30 August 2013 - 12:59 AM

The Nexus 7 (2013) GPS/rebooting issues have apparently been addressed with a firmware upgrade.

Nope, because even after the newest firmware upgrade, my original Nexus 7 would still reboot randomly (at least the GPS started working). I haven't tried the Bluetooth yet, but I may have to get an external keyboard and see how that works with the new 32 GB unit. Again, when in doubt, take it back. Clear skies to you.

#7 Jim7728

Jim7728

Cosmos

• Loc: Stoop Landing Observatory, NYC

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:17 PM

So far no reboot problems with with my Nexus 7 2nd Gen., which arrived today from NewEgg, after updating to JSS15Q.

http://www.android.g...-addresses-g...

GPS also working fine as SkySafari Plus lined up the Summer triangle to my view screen at my sometimes GPS troublesome location..

I'm starting to really like the brighter 323 ppi over my 2 year old Motorola Xoom 10" tablet.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics