Photo

What size is the Paramount precision bubble level?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 gamccain

gamccain

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Virginia, USA

Posted 30 August 2013 - 01:17 PM

Hi gang,

Does anyone have the precision bubble level for the Paramount ME mount that they could measure?

I've got one on order from OPT and wanted to get ahead of the curve on getting some machine shop work done.

I'm going to have an intermediate adapter plate made up that will be larger in diameter than the base of the mount, so that I can mount and use a proper bubble level, vs the teeny, sloppy one included on the mount that you can't even view perpendicular.

Thought I try the 'community'.

Thanks in advance,

Greg

#2 frolinmod

frolinmod

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 30 August 2013 - 03:32 PM

It's roughly 1-3/4 inch in diameter, but the side which faces the side of the mount has been "sliced off" to make it more compact on that side.

Note that I have two of them. One on each side of a Paramount ME. They each read a little bit differently. :foreheadslap:

#3 gamccain

gamccain

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Virginia, USA

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:14 PM

Thanks Pooh-Bah

I appreciate the response.

Greg

#4 biz

biz

Vendor

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: New Zealand

Posted 31 August 2013 - 03:22 PM

It's roughly 1-3/4 inch in diameter, but the side which faces the side of the mount has been "sliced off" to make it more compact on that side.

Note that I have two of them. One on each side of a Paramount ME. They each read a little bit differently. :foreheadslap:

If the bubbles are reading different then one or possibly both have not been calibrated correctly to the surface they are attached to.
Are they removable or glued in ?
In any case the calibration needs to be checked and corrected. A bubble level that's incorrect is the same as having no level .
cheers.
Graham.

#5 frolinmod

frolinmod

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 31 August 2013 - 03:51 PM

Are they removable or glued in?

They're optional equipment and very much removable. They're held to the mount base with three small screws.

#6 biz

biz

Vendor

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 02 September 2013 - 01:23 PM

Are they removable or glued in?

They're optional equipment and very much removable. They're held to the mount base with three small screws.

You can calibrate the inbuilt levels by loosening these 3 screws first, then, using a good quality torpedo level that is accurate (maybe an engineers level) level your mount. Then using thin shims, insert some under one or two (what ever is required) of the screws until you get the bubble in the top dead centre of its vile, then tighten down these screws, checking the bubbles position until you get them both correct.. This then will calibrate your inbuilt levels to the surface they are attached to.
cheers.
Graham.

#7 frolinmod

frolinmod

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:03 PM

Yup, just out of curiosity I shopped for engineering levels yesterday. I couldn't find any that stated the traceability of their calibration. They're expensive too.

#8 biz

biz

Vendor

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 04 September 2013 - 02:49 PM

Yup, just out of curiosity I shopped for engineering levels yesterday. I couldn't find any that stated the traceability of their calibration. They're expensive too.

Yes they are expensive but any good tool place should be able to supply you with an accurate level without spending too much.. What about trying to borrow one while you calibrate your inbuilt bubble vials.. Surely you know of someone who can help out and loan you one. I'm too far away otherwise I would come and calibrate them for you.
cheers
Graham.

#9 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 04 September 2013 - 03:12 PM

Just out of curiosity...why would you need a level of any kind for a GEM mount?

#10 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators
  • Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 04 September 2013 - 03:15 PM

Just out of curiosity...why would you need a level of any kind for a GEM mount?

The Paramounts benefit because their polar alignment routines direct one to make adjustments in fractions of turns on each axis. Any interaction would reduce the benefit of that.

#11 frolinmod

frolinmod

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 04 September 2013 - 06:29 PM

Leveling just speeds up the process. It's a convenience. Particularly in the field. I've ordered a high accuracy engineer's level. Should be here later this week. I'm going to calibrate the levels on all my various and sundry mounts (I have a lot of 'em). :cool:

#12 biz

biz

Vendor

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 08 September 2013 - 01:30 PM

Leveling just speeds up the process. It's a convenience. Particularly in the field. I've ordered a high accuracy engineer's level. Should be here later this week. I'm going to calibrate the levels on all my various and sundry mounts (I have a lot of 'em). :cool:

That's a good call to calibrate your bubble viles , you wont regret it at all. As I said before a level that's not accurate is the same as having no level and is totally useless.
cheers
Graham.

#13 WadeH237

WadeH237

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 08 September 2013 - 02:09 PM

Post deleted by WadeH237

#14 frolinmod

frolinmod

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 08 September 2013 - 03:42 PM

As I said before a level that's not accurate is the same as having no level and is totally useless.

I never said either level was inaccurate. Both levels are extremely accurate. They just don't read the same.

#15 biz

biz

Vendor

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:00 PM

As I said before a level that's not accurate is the same as having no level and is totally useless.

I never said either level was inaccurate. Both levels are extremely accurate. They just don't read the same.

I understand what you are saying but if they are not calibrated to the surface they are attached to then the readings are not accurate, that's what I am meaning.
cheers
Graham.

#16 rimcrazy

rimcrazy

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Overgaard, AZ

Posted 08 September 2013 - 06:15 PM

Now if you want to really learn how to use tools, nothing beats a lesson from Red Green

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics