• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Naviguessor

Naviguessor

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: MI

Posted 31 August 2013 - 01:24 PM

I have a TV 85 that has been in storage for a year or 2, unused as I have no mount. It is pathetic to have a fine piece of equipment unused, so it is time. I would prefer tracking for visual use, as I have a family that would like to look as well. It has been a while since I looked, so wondered if anything new has popped up. It does not appear there are mid range alt/az mounts- lightweight capacity to heavy capacity.

In the Alt/AZ - its pretty much a Nexstar 6/8 mount or Ioptron mini tower, I'm not sure how much a cube pro can truly handle.

EQ - I think there are more available, but tracking can add weight and more bucks. Plus possible awkward viewing.

#2 Tom and Beth

Tom and Beth

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:59 PM

If you are OK with Alt/AZ, why not consider a Camera tripod with a geared head? I use my TV-76 this way, with a Coronado 60MM Solarmax on the front. Makes a nice travel setup.

Off the top of my head, A Manfrotto 3046 legs and 410 head, you should be able to pick these up for around $200 to 250.

#3 Lost in Space

Lost in Space

Vendor - Galactic Rocks

• Vendors
  • Loc: North Carolina

Posted 31 August 2013 - 10:10 PM

I just ordered an iOptron MT Pro after much soul searching. I believe it will give me the flexibility to go with my TV 76, as well as several other OTAs that I have. From what I gather, it will handle an Explore Scientific 127 refractor, but only if you buy the optional pier extension so the scope does not collide with the tripod if viewing at or near zenith. Granted, that poses some challenges as far as being flexible enough to get your eye on the eyepiece from a low position, but then that's part of the fun! :grin:

#4 Naviguessor

Naviguessor

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:02 AM

I do have a question regarding alt/az? How often do you have to move the scope to track an object? Say Jupiter @ 130x? Im sure it depends on the EP but a general idea is what Im looking for.

I was looking at a Teegul and read an article on a guy who made a small wedge that converted it to a mini eq and allowed one knob tracking.

#5 Nippon

Nippon

Viking 1

• Loc: Central Florida

Posted 02 September 2013 - 02:04 PM

I have a NexStar 8 SE and had a TV 85 and the TV 85 is too long for the NexStar SE mount. Unless you are okay with not being able to come to zenith. And I mean seriously not coming to zenith. I had a TV TelePod Alt Az mount and it was nice enough. But knowing what I know at this point I would put a TV 85 on a Vixen Porta II ( Star Guy version with HAL 130 tripod preferred) for manual or on a iOptron Mini Tower pro if you want goto.

#6 coopman

coopman

Gemini

• Loc: South Louisiana

Posted 02 September 2013 - 05:23 PM

You would have to nudge the scope every 15 seconds or so.

#7 Quintessence

Quintessence

Vendor

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Austin, Texas

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:24 PM

While there is no precise answer to how often one would have to "nudge" at 130x, I think every 15 seconds is a bit pessimistic. Let's do some math. At the celestial equator, one would see a drift rate through the eyepiece of .25 degree per minute. Away from the celestial equator, the effective drift rate across the FOV will be somewhat less because the drift will follow an arc instead of a straight line. But let's assume the worst case of .25 degree per minute.

Let's also assume that one is using an eyepiece with an apparent field of view of 72 degrees -- which is not exceptionally wide by today's standards. So, the true FOV is about .55 degree. Let's also assume that for best definition one chooses to keep the object within the middle half of the field. For a moderately long focal ratio scope like a TV85, good eyepiece designs will certainly yield good definition over the middle half of the field. So -- let's say the "usable field" is restricted to .27 degree.

Doing some arithmetic, one sees that the "worst-case" need for a nudge would be about every 65 seconds -- which might also be about the smallest consistently controllable nudge that one could casually perform (without very deliberate concentration) given the relative short lever-arm provided by a TV-85.

Charles

#8 Naviguessor

Naviguessor

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:01 PM

I have a NexStar 8 SE and had a TV 85 and the TV 85 is too long for the NexStar SE mount. Unless you are okay with not being able to come to zenith. And I mean seriously not coming to zenith. I had a TV TelePod Alt Az mount and it was nice enough. But knowing what I know at this point I would put a TV 85 on a Vixen Porta II ( Star Guy version with HAL 130 tripod preferred) for manual or on a iOptron Mini Tower pro if you want goto.

Thank you for the info on the nexstar. With my craptacular horizons, zenith is where I most likely will be at. Looks like the minitower for goto and tracking or a eq mount. I will have to mull the nudge and look.

#9 astrophile

astrophile

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Chaise-lounge, 18x50s in hand...

Posted 03 September 2013 - 04:45 AM

For the intended use you describe, I recommend seeking out a simple eq or an alt-az mount with manual slo-mo tracking controls. Saves all the precision polar and star-alignment hassle; and I have personally found that once they quickly get the hang of it, using manual controls to track something engages a non-astronomer with the sky and with the object far more than just stepping up and "looking not touching."

The Porta II suggested above might work well. I'd look hard at the upcoming Mini Hitch II for a higher-end alternative.

Whatever you do, get that TV85 back under the stars! :)

#10 wormstar

wormstar

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Central Ct

Posted 03 September 2013 - 08:28 AM

Have you seen the Nova Hitch? There is a smaller version coming out with many of the same features(Mini Hitch II), also a simpler model too. Do a web search for Half Hitch Telescope mount

#11 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:02 AM

Put the NexStar SE mount in equatorial mode and you will find it works well, especially for the zenith. The tripod has a tilting plate to allow for this.

-Rich

#12 Nippon

Nippon

Viking 1

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:55 AM

The NexStar 6/8 SE mount does not have a built in ability to set it up in EQ mode. ie, no tilting plate. Some of the smaller NexStar scopes do.

#13 Naviguessor

Naviguessor

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:55 AM

Have you seen the Nova Hitch? There is a smaller version coming out with many of the same features(Mini Hitch II), also a simpler model too. Do a web search for Half Hitch Telescope mount

I have and the price is a little steep

#14 Naviguessor

Naviguessor

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 03 September 2013 - 10:12 AM

The NexStar 6/8 SE mount does not have a built in ability to set it up in EQ mode. ie, no tilting plate. Some of the smaller NexStar scopes do.

I believe there is/was an optional wedge(no longer produced?) No idea on how well it performs

#15 Nippon

Nippon

Viking 1

Posted 03 September 2013 - 10:23 AM

The beauty of the Porta II is it will perform well with your TV 85 and it is not expensive. No matter how serious you get with the hobby The Porta will fit in. Like my usage of my Porta with a PST. I would suggest that you go a low cost route like the Porta, get out under the stars and enjoy your TV 85. Who knows where using the 85 will lead you. So save the serious outlay of cash for when you really know where you want to go with this hobby.

#16 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:44 AM

Huh- the last one I looked at did. I know they have a mini-wedge for it.

-Rich

#17 Naviguessor

Naviguessor

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:42 PM

Huh- the last one I looked at did. I know they have a mini-wedge for it.

-Rich

There are some out there, it is now a discontinued product.

#18 Stelios

Stelios

Surveyor 1

• Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 03 September 2013 - 01:01 PM

The beauty of the Porta II is it will perform well with your TV 85 and it is not expensive. No matter how serious you get with the hobby The Porta will fit in. Like my usage of my Porta with a PST. I would suggest that you go a low cost route like the Porta, get out under the stars and enjoy your TV 85. Who knows where using the 85 will lead you. So save the serious outlay of cash for when you really know where you want to go with this hobby.

What he said! :goodjob: :waytogo: :waytogo:

I might add that if you want a bit of extra stability for your Porta II, get the eyepiece tray from Agena Astro. It adds a *lot* of extra rigidity to the mount, not to mention room for a ton of eyepieces, at the expense of needing more time to collapse the mount for storage (as it now attaches with four metal screws rather than a single plastic one). In most grab-n-go situations this will not be a serious problem.

#19 Rick M.

Rick M.

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:54 PM

Why not a TV Panoramic or Gibraltar alt/az with handle.

#20 wormstar

wormstar

Apollo

• -----

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:50 AM

There is a Quarter Hitch for sale in the CN classifieds reasonably priced, Charles at Half Hitch makes a real nice mount.

#21 Nippon

Nippon

Viking 1

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:04 PM

That Quarter Hitch on CN classifieds is a nice price.

#22 Naviguessor

Naviguessor

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:51 PM

That Quarter Hitch on CN classifieds is a nice price.

Not real familiar with these mounts, I assume same creator does Half Hitch and Nova Hitch? The QH does not have slo mo controls correct?

#23 wormstar

wormstar

Apollo

• -----

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:20 AM

I believe all the Quarter Hitches has slow motion. I had a Mini Hitch (original design) with a TV 76 and it was nice. Very smooth with nice feel to the slow motion controls. I have a Nova on order for a FS 128 that i just picked up.

#24 choran

choran

Vanguard

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:07 AM

I'm with Rick. The Televue mounts are great for the TV85. The Panoramic fits it just fine.

#25 wormstar

wormstar

Apollo

• -----

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:53 AM

I have had several TV mounts, and they can be picked up pretty cheaply, but in my opinion any of the Hitch mounts or a voyager ect are better choice, especially if you like using higher power. The TV mount is light and small, which is nice for packing.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics