LXD55 metal axis locks - clutch question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 m1618

m1618

Ranger 4

• Loc: Orange County - CA

Posted 31 August 2013 - 07:36 PM

Perhaps I should have posted this under ATM/DIY. I found a perfect replacement for those plastic tabs aka axis locks on the LXD55/75 mounts. It's actually a universal shower lever (hot and cold) and as long as you don't mind the little "H" and "C" on them, they're quite durable! :grin:

Question: is there an extra bushing of sorts in the RA (where the knob screws in)? I must have dropped a piece in the dark because now the lock doesn't seem to reach the core to tighten. What would I need?

Attached Files

#2 fetoma

fetoma

Vanguard

• Loc: Southern NJ

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:31 PM

You lost one of the clutch pads that fit between the worm and the clutch knob screw face. It's a cylindrical piece that won't mar the worm when the clutch knob is tightened.

#3 m1618

m1618

Ranger 4

• Loc: Orange County - CA

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:58 PM

Aha! Friction brake pad of some sort huh? Any idea what that material may be? I suppose I can try a wooden dowel unless there's a better choice... please advise.

#4 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 01 September 2013 - 01:49 AM

It's some kind of hard plastic. Don't use the clutch without it, you'll score the ring gear. Maybe a cutout from a milk jug will do.. I would avoid wood. It might splinter and then the bits will scatter around the ring gear and get stuck in the grease.

#5 obin robinson

obin robinson

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: League City, TX

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:22 AM

Aha! Friction brake pad of some sort huh? Any idea what that material may be? I suppose I can try a wooden dowel unless there's a better choice... please advise.

Go to the store and get a nylon screw which is about the same diameter. Trim it until it fits in the clutch friction pad area. It may take several attempts but it will work.

obin ;)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics