• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 dbs

dbs

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 31 August 2013 - 11:43 PM

Hi all,

Just to check, is the LS-6 really weighs just 2 lbs less than the LS-8?

I am thinking of purchasing one of them, portability is a factor, mainly used for video and visual. I guess AP is out for this scope?

Also, I would like to ask if a dewshiled can be placed over this scope? It seems that there is some bracket along the side of the OTA, which may hinders the placement of the dewshield.

Please let me have your thoughts, and I apologise if this topic has been discussed before....

Thanks

#2 jimb1001

jimb1001

Messenger

• Loc: Florida

Posted 01 September 2013 - 01:08 AM

Hi all,

I am thinking of purchasing one of them, portability is a factor, mainly used for video and visual. I guess AP is out for this scope?

Also, I would like to ask if a dewshiled can be placed over this scope? It seems that there is some bracket along the side of the OTA, which may hinders the placement of the dewshield.

Please let me have your thoughts, and I apologise if this topic has been discussed before....

Thanks

If the cost is not an issue go with the 8". Its not that much heavier and just a little bulkier than the 6" and the extra light is useful.

I use a Mallincam with it and sometimes a dslr. Staying in the 15-20 exposure range works fine for me as the sky glow washes things out after that on all but the darkest, clearest nights of the year. Of which there are maybe 3.

#3 gunfighter48

gunfighter48

Messenger

• Loc: Mill Creek, Washington

Posted 01 September 2013 - 01:19 AM

Get the LS 8, aperture always wins!!! I have an extremely bad back and I can move the my LS 8 around with very little problem. The bigger the aperture the more light it gathers. The more light the brighter items appear.

Astozap make a dew shield to fit the LS8 with a cutout for the GPS unit. I have one and it works very well. They are about $40.00 on Amazon.

AP is going to be limited to about 30 sec or less exposures. The image will rotate between exposures. So take many and use a stacking software that will correct the rotation. But yes AP is limited on the LS8 or any other alt/az mounted scope.

I will say the optics are excellent on mine. Very sharp, contrasty views!! I'm extremely happy with mine. It has not had any problems and came with ver. 1.6 firmware. That version corrected the problems they were having previously with it. :grin:

#4 dbs

dbs

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 01 September 2013 - 02:30 AM

Thanks guys...

For the LS-8, can the single-arm mount really handle the weight of a 8" OTA especially when it is later loaded with eyepieces, diagonal, video camera, dewshield, etc

#5 Cliff Hipsher

Cliff Hipsher

Apollo

• ***--
  • Loc: North Chesterfield, VA

Posted 01 September 2013 - 05:17 AM

Hi all,

Thanks

Either scope will be fine for visual. If you are serious about anything beyond visual use, I'd recommend you pass on an LS.

#6 gunfighter48

gunfighter48

Messenger

Posted 02 September 2013 - 02:06 AM

Thanks guys...

For the LS-8, can the single-arm mount really handle the weight of a 8" OTA especially when it is later loaded with eyepieces, diagonal, video camera, dewshield, etc

It handles the weight just fine. The single arm is not as stable as the fork arm design but it does just fine. Vibrations dampen down in 2 or 3 seconds. I have used 2" eyepieces, a 2" diagonal with a 2" barlow and it handled it just fine. The thing you have to watch out for is the 2" diagonal hitting the base if you are going to look at the zenith.

#7 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NC

Posted 03 September 2013 - 01:25 PM

To add to the above, I have the Astrozap, works well. I also use a 2" Diagonal and sometimes some heavy EP's and a Binoviewer and seems to be ok. Sometimes I'll use a 2.5 lb. ankle weight that wraps around the front of the tube to counter balance it.

Have fun as they are fun to use:)

Bob

#8 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 03 September 2013 - 01:26 PM

BTW gunfighter, I see you have mounted a finderscope on the top, was it a difficult mod?

Bob

#9 gunfighter48

gunfighter48

Messenger

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:38 PM

BTW gunfighter, I see you have mounted a finderscope on the top, was it a difficult mod?

Bob

Not difficult at all. I took off the base for the red dot finder that came with the scope. My finder is a Stellarvue 9X50 with their high mount rings. I went with the high mount rings to keep from banging into the main eyepiece. The base was taller than the red dot finder. So I had to go to the local Loews store and get longer screws for the base. The new base fit perfectly over the old screw holes. Just screwed it down. I did have to cut the new screws shorter as they were too long. But my dremel tool to care of that very quickly.

The Stellarvue scope is just excellent in it's own right. Very sharp and contrasty views!

#10 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:50 AM

So, trying to follow you on this finder scope mod. After you removed the red dot and the plate that holds it on, what next? Didn't you have to put a dovetail mount on the tube first and then the finder scope slips in the dovetail bracket?

Dovetail brackets usually have two slotted holes for the screws to mount to the tube?

Bob

#11 gunfighter48

gunfighter48

Messenger

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:00 PM

So, trying to follow you on this finder scope mod. After you removed the red dot and the plate that holds it on, what next? Didn't you have to put a dovetail mount on the tube first and then the finder scope slips in the dovetail bracket?

Dovetail brackets usually have two slotted holes for the screws to mount to the tube?

Bob

Hi Bob,

That's correct, the finder rings on the long stalk came with a new quick release base. The two screw holes in the new base matched perfectly with the existing holes in the scope. Screwed the base down to the scope and inserted the rings on the long stalk on the base and tightened the stalk to the base, job done!!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics