WO Zenithstar 71mm APO

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 youngamateur42

youngamateur42

Surveyor 1

• Loc: La Verne, CA

Posted 01 September 2013 - 12:18 AM

Well after helping my dad with lots of research and decisions, he finally got himself a refractor to suit his needs, the new William Optics Zenithstar 71mm Apo. What an amazing scope this is! He wanted something good for astrophotograhy so he bought this, an Orion go to SVP, and we got (finally) some great images with the G3 color. Back to the scope! The focuser is really awesome, rotatable, find 1:10 focusing, even has a temperature gauge built into it! Great finish on it, white and red really suit this scope well. The optical quality is stunning, at F/6, the FOV is huge, especially with his 2" 40mm eyepiece.
I was surprised how well it took magnification, I maxed it out the first time and it held up amazingly. I barlowed my TMB 6 giving a a high power view on Saturn. I had my Orion Observer 70 out too, comparing the images. The mount on mine is OK, but I needed it more stable to make any accurate comparisons. So there you have if, one fine, elegant, affordable Apo!

#2 Maverick199

Maverick199

Voyager 1

• Loc: India

Posted 01 September 2013 - 03:56 AM

I have and was able to give it a test run only two nights ago due to consistent bad weather here. In fact even then only had an hour with part clouds. But the views of Lagoon surprised me and on Vega, absolutely no CA. Didn't see the Moon yet but I assume the CA if any would be minimal. It really excels in Astrophotography as well as you can see from this 20 minute exposure of the Lagoon.

I was using a 14mm Meade and never thought I could see the surrounding nebulous bluish haze around Lagoon. This small instrument did it.

My only grouse is with a 2" T-Adapter, you need to pull out some or else the outward focus isn't enough. I am surprised WO did not look into this considering a lot of people will use this for AP.

Attached Files

#3 timmbottoni

timmbottoni

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: W Chicago suburbs, IL USA

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:12 PM

Fantastic!!!! It is a really nice scope. There have been a lot of really positive comments on all the new WO scopes recently.

Timm

#4 timmbottoni

timmbottoni

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:21 PM

Which 2" photo adapter are you using?

Timm

#5 youngamateur42

youngamateur42

Surveyor 1

• Loc: La Verne, CA

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:43 PM

Which 2" photo adapter are you using?

Timm

I'm not sure what you mean, we just put the G3 in the focuser and focused til' it was sharp, we didn't need anything special to make it work

#6 timmbottoni

timmbottoni

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:09 PM

Sorry Young, I was replying to Maverick who had trouble with the focusing.

Wondering what sort of photo adapter he was using with his Canon DSLR.

Timm

#7 Maverick199

Maverick199

Voyager 1

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:35 AM

Sorry Young, I was replying to Maverick who had trouble with the focusing.

Wondering what sort of photo adapter he was using with his Canon DSLR.

Timm

I got the aluminium one from Agenaastro which comes coupled to a T-Ring, blue fireball Elim 2. http://agenaastro.co...-canon-eos.html

#8 Binojunky

Binojunky

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:15 PM

I bought one of these after owning both the Astro-Tech and Stellarview variants of this small scope, every one had advantages and disadvantages, being either price, cases, features etc, what pushed me to the Zenithstar was the two speed R&P focuser, however worth mentioning is the fact that when you include the soft case which is an extra it is the most expensive of the three, DA.

#9 timmbottoni

timmbottoni

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:53 PM

I got the aluminium one from Agenaastro which comes coupled to a T-Ring, blue fireball Elim 2. http://agenaastro.co...-canon-eos.html

Thanks - yes that explains why you are having trouble.

A refractor (this one included) is designed to use a diagonal for viewing with eyepieces. The diagonal not only positions the eyepiece at a 90-deg angle to the optical tube, but also adds needed length to the optical path. When you remove the diagonal and use the photo adapter you have, you shorten about 2 inches from the optical path. This basically means that you have to rack out the focuser as far as it can go, and you still run out of focuser length. The solution that I use is to use a photo adapter that adds back the length. The one you have would be perfect if you had a reflector where you don't want extra length. Here is what I use with a Canon T-Ring... http://www.williamop...er_features.php

If you want to keep your current photo adapter, you could also get one of these to add to it and your problem would also be solved... http://www.williamop...er_features.php

WO has just brought out 2 similar new models that incorporates the Canon connection into a single piece (no T-Ring required). The longer version is here... http://www.williamop..._features_l.php

The shorter version is here...
http://www.williamop..._features_s.php

If I get a chance and some spare $$$ I will buy the longer version and give it a try. I think these are a smart investment, since it eliminates the T-Ring and the chance for vignetting of light.

Let me know if this makes sense and feel free to ask more questions. Hope this helps.

Timm

#10 TomCorbett

TomCorbett

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 03 September 2013 - 02:29 PM

Very nice photo. This is an interesting thread for those who use a 70mm refractor.

...Bob

#11 bandhunter

bandhunter

Vostok 1

• Loc: North Carolina

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:05 PM

I am really struggling trying to decide between this scope and the AT72. Plan on using it for grab and go observing, for now, and widefield ap in the FAR future. I think it would compliment my 10" rather nicely. The Zenithstar is just so sexy looking imo. But you hear so many good things about the AT72. Someone do an indepth shootout post!!! Thanks for the report youngamateur42.

#12 Binojunky

Binojunky

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:37 PM

Bandhunter, private E-mail sent, DA.

#13 carlcat

carlcat

Messenger

• Loc: Northern California

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:50 PM

I bought one of these after owning both the Astro-Tech and Stellarview variants of this small scope, every one had advantages and disadvantages, being either price, cases, features etc, what pushed me to the Zenithstar was the two speed R&P focuser, however worth mentioning is the fact that when you include the soft case which is an extra it is the most expensive of the three, DA.

Can you tell me which one had the better optics if any?

#14 Binojunky

Binojunky

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 03 September 2013 - 05:08 PM

They were all pretty close, the Stellarvue is no longer available , new anyway and it has a shorter focal length, between the AT and the Williams I would say the Williams is a tad better though this could be unit to unit variation, the AT is the lower price wise of the two and has a case as standard, however a friend of mine who images finds the focuser fiddly, the two speed R&P on the Williams is rather nice, and the better of the two.
A soft case to fit the scopes foam packing insert will cost about an extra $50.
Another thing to remember is that the AT in most colours is an anodized finish and it can fade over time,DA.

#15 SkyGibbon

SkyGibbon

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Las Vegas, Nevada

Posted 04 September 2013 - 03:33 PM

No complaints on mine so far. Works great for binoviewing too. Just make sure you seat the focuser well (if rotating) before your AP session. It can tilt a bit.

#16 Maverick199

Maverick199

Voyager 1

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:50 AM

Thanks - yes that explains why you are having trouble.

A refractor (this one included) is designed to use a diagonal for viewing with eyepieces. The diagonal not only positions the eyepiece at a 90-deg angle to the optical tube, but also adds needed length to the optical path. When you remove the diagonal and use the photo adapter you have, you shorten about 2 inches from the optical path. This basically means that you have to rack out the focuser as far as it can go, and you still run out of focuser length. The solution that I use is to use a photo adapter that adds back the length. The one you have would be perfect if you had a reflector where you don't want extra length. Here is what I use with a Canon T-Ring... http://www.williamop...er_features.php

If you want to keep your current photo adapter, you could also get one of these to add to it and your problem would also be solved... http://www.williamop...er_features.php

WO has just brought out 2 similar new models that incorporates the Canon connection into a single piece (no T-Ring required). The longer version is here... http://www.williamop..._features_l.php

The shorter version is here...
http://www.williamop..._features_s.php

If I get a chance and some spare $$$ I will buy the longer version and give it a try. I think these are a smart investment, since it eliminates the T-Ring and the chance for vignetting of light.

Let me know if this makes sense and feel free to ask more questions. Hope this helps.

Timm

Thank you Timm. I will try and get that WO adapter. Btw, I could try my 1.25" T-Adapters and see if that makes a difference.

#17 timmbottoni

timmbottoni

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:42 PM

No complaints on mine so far. Works great for binoviewing too. Just make sure you seat the focuser well (if rotating) before your AP session. It can tilt a bit.

The tilt can be improved by tightening the three nylon black slotted screws just enough to make them snug so it still can rotate. I took mine out and put a thin layer of high quality grease in the groove they ride in, so that I can keep them a little tighter to diminish tilt, but still allow smooth rotation.

Timm

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics