• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 cirrus1500

cirrus1500

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: California

Posted 01 September 2013 - 02:21 AM

I have a 10 year old Taiwanese made 6" f5 reflector on an equatorial mount which was never used and left in storage full of dust and cobwebs until i took it out a few months ago. I dismantled the OTA and cleaned up the tubes and mirrors and the optics seems usable. Unfortunately, the counterweights, slow motion knobs, and triangular EP tray functioning as spreader, are missing from the mount.

Here is where i originally bought it from more than 10 years ago:
http://www.lin-optic...w/reflepic2.htm

Firstly, can someone help id what mount this is? I guess it could be a clone of a popular mount, but not sure which one.

Secondly, i am trying to find a replacement slow motion control cable or knob. I ordered the a pair of slow motion handle from Agena but it seems too small (Agena one is for 6mm shaft while the mount's shaft measues 7.5mm). Does anyone know where i can get the 7.5mm slow motion knob/cable? I understand that it is the same size as what the Voyager mount is using, but can't find just the knob.

Thanks to all replies.

#2 cirrus1500

cirrus1500

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 01 September 2013 - 02:48 AM

Left View:

Attached Files

#3 cirrus1500

cirrus1500

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 01 September 2013 - 02:49 AM

Right View:

Attached Files

#4 cirrus1500

cirrus1500

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 01 September 2013 - 02:50 AM

Back showing polar scope:

Attached Files

#5 cirrus1500

cirrus1500

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 01 September 2013 - 02:51 AM

the mounting:

Attached Files

#6 cirrus1500

cirrus1500

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 01 September 2013 - 02:56 AM

Another question:

Q: What kind of mount is this called?
Q: I have a Vixen Porta II with HAL130 tripod on the way. If I want to mount this OTA with its existing tube ring to the Porta II, what do I have to do (or buy in addition)?

#7 Cliff Hipsher

Cliff Hipsher

Apollo

• ***--
  • Loc: North Chesterfield, VA

Posted 01 September 2013 - 05:41 AM

Another question:

Q: What kind of mount is this called? Generic German Equatorial (GEM). It looks like you can add either slow motion controls or maybe drive motors...

Q: I have a Vixen Porta II with HAL130 tripod on the way. If I want to mount this OTA with its existing tube ring to the Porta II, what do I have to do (or buy in addition)? You may be able to use a Vixen dovetail, but you would need to take some measurements first. From looking at the Porta mount you may have some clearance issues....

#8 cirrus1500

cirrus1500

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:02 AM

Another question:

Q: What kind of mount is this called? Generic German Equatorial (GEM). It looks like you can add either slow motion controls or maybe drive motors...

Thanks Cliff for the reply. Any idea if this one is in the same class as the CG4 (a CG4 clone)? Before this one, I have never used a GEM, so don't know how the EQ1, EQ2, CG4, CG5, models look like, so i guess this one might be a clone of one of those, just don't know which one. Any idea?

#9 cirrus1500

cirrus1500

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:27 AM

Btw, I also own a Nexstar 6 SE which uses a Vixen dovetail. For this GEM, the mounting looks very different, so it doesn't look like it will mate with the Porta II mount directly. I am trying to avoid buying a new set of tube ring and mount plate. If there is a way to adapt it to the porta II 's dovetail, it may save me a bit of money, and also make it easier to move the scope between this mount and the portaII.

#10 Cliff Hipsher

Cliff Hipsher

Apollo

• ***--
  • Loc: North Chesterfield, VA

Posted 01 September 2013 - 07:01 AM

Well, without having seen it in person, its real hard to determine what this mount was patterned after, and to be honest it really doesn't make any difference because a GEM is a GEM. The technology has been around for a long time. The only real differences are things like gear ratios, bearings or bushings, casting strength, tripod stability, OTA mounting method and so on.

You say the scope is about 10 years old. You might try using google to go back in time, or you could ask the folks in the Mounts forum...

#11 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:16 AM

Looks like the GSO semi-GP clone. They sold quite a few of these through Orion for quite some time. Usually paired with Russian MCTs. Unfortunately, that was a couple of owners ago at Orion, and I doubt anyone there remembers the mount, much less knows where you can find parts.

#12 cirrus1500

cirrus1500

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:54 AM

Thanks both for the reply. I have ordered a counterweight from Orion to use with it. As for the missing spreader, it used to have a triangular tray. The tray type shows up from time to time on classified. While waiting for 1, i can use a rope to limit the spread of the tripod legs. The most fruitless search so far is the slow motion control cable, which i ordered from Agenda but the core is 6mm, not 7.5mm needed by this mount. Since it has the same shaft size as the AT Voyager mount, anyone using the Voyager reading this has any idea about slow motion knob/cable parts for the Voyager? Once I get that, I can start using it without waiting for my Porta II.

As for the mounting, is it an old design? If there's no way to mount it to a normal Vixen dovetail, will have to start shopping for a tube ring and mount plate.

#13 SteveG

SteveG

Skylab

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 01 September 2013 - 01:58 PM

It's an older variant of the EQ3, or Orion Skyview Deluxe.

#14 cirrus1500

cirrus1500

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 01 September 2013 - 03:06 PM

Thanks so much, Steve. I looked up the images of the old Orion 6" SVD scope and indeed it is the same scope and mount (Orion's SVD picture below). I managed to download the SVD6's manual and I now have a lot of info about my Lin Optics scope. I am not very optimistic about getting Orion to provide the missing parts but will try contacting them tomorrow (they are close for Labor Day). If I am lucky, I may also be able to attach Orion's 8" Vixen-style dovetail plate directly to the OTA's tube ring so it can be attached to newer mounts.

Thanks all for your replies, and if anyone knows of where I can get the 7.5mm ID slow motion cables, pls let me know.

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics