September 07, 2013 Lake Hudson State Park Gaze

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mich_al

mich_al

Vanguard

• Loc: Rural central lower Michigan Yellow Skies

Posted 01 September 2013 - 01:15 PM

Anyone have experience with this location/club? Is it a public or a club event? If it's public do many people show up? Any idea how many scope are likely to be there? It's a bit of a drive for me to get there and I'm trying to decide.

#2 JimMo

JimMo

I'd Rather Do It Myself

• Loc: Under the SE Michigan lightdome

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:19 PM

That's where I usually observe. I believe those dates were announced by either the Jackson club, which I thought was defunct, or the park itself and are just the weekends of the new moon. You can camp only in the campground and I have observed from there, but the best spot in the summer is the picnic area, take the first right at the toll booth. You cannot camp in the picnic area, but I've slept in the car once or twice. On a clear new moon weekend you might see a few folks out, but this weekend probably not as it coincides with the Great Lakes Star Gaze near Gladwin. I have one night this week, either Thursday or Friday, in which I can get out for an all nighter so it will depend on the weather if I go to Gladwin or Lake Hudson. Lake Hudson will definitely be cheaper with less gas needed and I have the state park passport on my license plate.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics