SCT repair in the SF Bay Area?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ubermick

ubermick

Vostok 1

• Loc: San Rafael, CA

Posted 01 September 2013 - 03:05 PM

Okay, so I snagged a used C9.25 at a decent price. Showed up, but in shipping the protective rear cap had popped out of the visual back, and as a result, the OTA is filled (well, not "filled") with particles from the packing material.

What a normal person would do is pop the corrector plate off and use compressed air to gently and carefully blow the debris out, but I'm not a normal person. Well, alright, I'm fairly normal, but this process terrifies me, and I'd much rather have someone local who knows what they're doing take care of it. With Scope City now defunct, does anyone have any suggestions for getting this sorted, without having to ship it back to Torrance?

#2 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 01 September 2013 - 03:13 PM

Yes. One of the members of your local club will almost undoubtedly be able to help you. You are a member aren't you? ;)

#3 Ed Holland

Ed Holland

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: San Jose, CA and Oxford, UK

Posted 01 September 2013 - 09:33 PM

I'm nearby (ish) and have successfully tackled a variety of 'scopes - PM me if you want to chat about help.

Cheers

Ed

#4 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 01 September 2013 - 09:42 PM

It's not ridiculous :) just take the corrector out... vacuum it out and you'll be just fine :).

#5 ubermick

ubermick

Vostok 1

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:58 AM

Yes. One of the members of your local club will almost undoubtedly be able to help you. You are a member aren't you? ;)

Indeed I am, and posed the question to folks at our last star party, but just like me, none of them wanted the job of opening up a $1,500 OTA and potentially screwing it up! (And I couldn't blame them!)

I'm nearby (ish) and have successfully tackled a variety of 'scopes - PM me if you want to chat about help.

Awesome Ed, thanks much - will do that.

#6 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:34 PM

Indeed I am, and posed the question to folks at our last star party, but just like me, none of them wanted the job of opening up a $1,500 OTA and potentially screwing it up! (And I couldn't blame them!)

It's probably a good thing they didn't, since if they were afraid of opening up an SCT they couldn't have been very experienced with them. ;)

#7 Ed Holland

Ed Holland

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: San Jose, CA and Oxford, UK

Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:34 PM

LOL.

There's one important rule, as far as I have determined, and reduced to the simplest terms it could be stated as follows:

Take the front off - easy, take the back off, TROUBLE!

A previous owner of my C8 had not appreciated this, which is probably why the scope arrived in my hands at a good price...

#8 ubermick

ubermick

Vostok 1

Posted 13 September 2013 - 10:40 AM

Hah! Yeah, futzing with the rear cell is something I plan on staying far, far away from!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics