My Design of a Ultra Heavy Duty Wedge/Nexstar 1100

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 InTheDark

InTheDark

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 03 September 2013 - 01:32 PM

I've been wanting to get a better mount for my Nexstar 1100. I had a previous mount built with 3/4" plywood initially designed for my C8 Computerized (worked great for the C8), wobbly as hell on the 11".

Many of the mounts available through Celestron and other more custom mounts ran anywhere from $450 - 1200 including shipping.

After a while, i just thought I'd be better off purchasing $300-400 worth of good metal tools and build it myself. I spent a good deal of time using Sketch-up to build a base design - used many examples of previous designs I'd seen on the net.

Over the last 3 weeks I purchased a Hor/Ver Metal Band Saw, 10" Disk Sander, Small Grinder, and a Bench Press, various clamps bits, taps/die set, transfer punch, etc- I now have a basic home metal shop for about the price of a low-end wedge!

I got about 70lbs of misc Aluminum bar and plate at Aaron Scrap metals in Hayward for about $1/lb. the result is great - haven't been able to test completely (it was cloudy last night), but its solid on a 12" cement pier. Virtually no detectable movement unless I slam into the pier. If anyone wants copies of the plans I'll post on sugarsync later today/tomorrow (let me know) - you can download sketch-up for free (don't need to purchase pro version). Enjoy...

Attached Files

#2 A. Viegas

A. Viegas

Apollo

• Loc: New York City/ CT

Posted 03 September 2013 - 01:50 PM

Wow! congrats and welcome to CN. Looks very nice! Maybe you could go into business making these! Very nice observatory also.

Al

#3 opticsguy

opticsguy

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Washington State

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:08 AM

Excellent choices!!! Excellent work and craftsmanship.

#4 CharlesW

CharlesW

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Chula Vista & Indio, CA

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:44 AM

Very nicely done. The only thing I can comment on is that you have a very small bearing surface with those washers under the socket head screws for your angle adjuster. Considering how much weight you are supporting, I'd go for a bolt with a larger head.

#5 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:55 AM

VERY nice!

#6 InTheDark

InTheDark

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 27 September 2013 - 09:15 PM

Good points, I've already made some adjustments including changing the angle plate to give it more range, I have larger washers - I went with 8mm hex to allow me to use a hex tool, there weren't any larger headed screws. I do have access to some larger washers with 8mm openings that could also work. Because I have the angle adjustment rod on the back I haven't noticed any slip or movement. Seems rock solid!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics