•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

My Design of a Ultra Heavy Duty Wedge/Nexstar 1100

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 InTheDark

InTheDark

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 September 2013 - 01:32 PM

I've been wanting to get a better mount for my Nexstar 1100. I had a previous mount built with 3/4" plywood initially designed for my C8 Computerized (worked great for the C8), wobbly as **** on the 11".

Many of the mounts available through Celestron and other more custom mounts ran anywhere from $450 - 1200 including shipping.

After a while, i just thought I'd be better off purchasing $300-400 worth of good metal tools and build it myself. I spent a good deal of time using Sketch-up to build a base design - used many examples of previous designs I'd seen on the net.

Over the last 3 weeks I purchased a Hor/Ver Metal Band Saw, 10" Disk Sander, Small Grinder, and a Bench Press, various clamps bits, taps/die set, transfer punch, etc- I now have a basic home metal shop for about the price of a low-end wedge!

I got about 70lbs of misc Aluminum bar and plate at Aaron Scrap metals in Hayward for about $1/lb. the result is great - haven't been able to test completely (it was cloudy last night), but its solid on a 12" cement pier. Virtually no detectable movement unless I slam into the pier. If anyone wants copies of the plans I'll post on sugarsync later today/tomorrow (let me know) - you can download sketch-up for free (don't need to purchase pro version). Enjoy...

Attached Files

#2 A. Viegas

A. Viegas

Surveyor 1

• Loc: New York City/ CT

Posted 03 September 2013 - 01:50 PM

Wow! congrats and welcome to CN. Looks very nice! Maybe you could go into business making these! Very nice observatory also.

Al

#3 opticsguy

opticsguy

Viking 1

• Loc: Washington State

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:08 AM

Excellent choices!!! Excellent work and craftsmanship.

#4 CharlesW

CharlesW

Vanguard

• Loc: Chula Vista & Indio, CA

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:44 AM

Very nicely done. The only thing I can comment on is that you have a very small bearing surface with those washers under the socket head screws for your angle adjuster. Considering how much weight you are supporting, I'd go for a bolt with a larger head.

#5 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:55 AM

VERY nice!

#6 InTheDark

InTheDark

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 September 2013 - 09:15 PM

Good points, I've already made some adjustments including changing the angle plate to give it more range, I have larger washers - I went with 8mm hex to allow me to use a hex tool, there weren't any larger headed screws. I do have access to some larger washers with 8mm openings that could also work. Because I have the angle adjustment rod on the back I haven't noticed any slip or movement. Seems rock solid!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics