• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#51 Moromete

Moromete

Viking 1

• Loc: Romania

Posted 13 October 2013 - 03:46 PM

Thanks Rod.

You give me more confidence in Synscan GOTO accuracy but I'm still a little afraid of its performance after beeing used CG5-GT excelent GOTOs even with a C11 after a 2+2 star alignment and a bad polar alignment. I now Synscan requires you to put Polaris in the little circle of the polar scope to give a good GOTO precision, unlike Celestron HC.

I feel like changing a Mercedes with a Chevy. ;)

Have you tested the GOTO accuracy with EQ6+C11(F3.3)+Mallincam and see if DSOs land somwhere on Mallincam's frame all over the sky or you tried only the EQ6+C8(F3.3)+Mallincam?

How good is GOTO accuracy in this situation compared to a Ceelstron mount?

#52 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 13 October 2013 - 06:30 PM

The go-to accuracy is very similar. You just have to do a little more work to get it.

If this bothers you, get a CGEM...I don't think there is any reason to avoid them anymore, and you get the NS HC you are used to...

#53 Ranger Tim

Ranger Tim

Viking 1

• Loc: SE Idaho, USA

Posted 13 October 2013 - 11:09 PM

Here is M1 after using Gemini 1 with a GM-8 to slew. The field of view is around a degree across the widest point. I used a DSLR LCD with the view magnified 10X to center the alignment stars when calibrating the goto. I never bother swapping out for an eyepiece anymore while imaging. My Sphinx also has at least this much accuracy. I have used my buddy's Atlas a time or two and it runs equally as well. What's usually the problem? Inattention to procedure and not having the star names handy is really the only reason for me to fail. I rarely ever have to move the scope to center objects for framing unless they are filling the frame and I need all the space I can get.

Go-to is a wonderful thing. I have learned more since I got it than I ever thought I would. Sure beats the day when I use to spend a half hour finding a faint fuzzy. Now I get to learn where they hide and see more of them to boot!

Attached Files

#54 Moromete

Moromete

Viking 1

• Loc: Romania

Posted 14 October 2013 - 03:42 AM

Off-topic: Can one lower the speed of onscreen text on Syncan HC to read it easily in winter nights, as is possible with Celestron Nexstar HC?

#55 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:30 AM

Tim, that's beautiful. I started plate solving my images and haven't had an issue with pointing ever since. You can plate solve with a mallincam cam but stealing a screen capture. Rene over at Gemini2 says it's just not realistic to get a good alignment with only 2 stars... I trust his math :)

Completely off topic. Sorry.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics