• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 wargrafix

wargrafix

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Trinidad

Posted 04 September 2013 - 06:47 AM

Hi all. I have the Celestron 9.25 advanced gt and the target finding was bad no mater how well I polar aligned. I have windows 7 64bit and a fairly beefy machine.

Last night I got the usb to serial and scope to serial adapters and did my installs. coming time to update the mount with the firmware the update failed a couple of times while reprogramming and when I exit i could not disconnect the mount. It was still in the locked state. I restarted and now the mount won't come on like normal. Either it initialing then blank screen on the handset or error 16 or 17. :foreheadslap:

I tired the binary fix but when I tried to connect the hand controller and do the transmit data the application on the PC still prompts me to put the controller in programming mode. The handset in Nexstar and current firmware is 4.13.

Its very costly for me to ship to celeston as I am not in the states. Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#2 MisterBill

MisterBill

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Geezerville aka S.FL, MILE 264

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:25 AM

http://www.nexstarsi...pgradeHowTo.htm

Good luck,

Bill

#3 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:31 AM

The usual problem is the USB - Serial converter. Try a Keyspan.

As for your go-to problem, this is not normal and it's not assured a firmware reload will fix it. You should have done a 'reset to factory values instead.' Or it may have been user error. Once the HC is working again, come back here.

#4 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Aurora

• Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:33 AM

Have you used these cables to do updates before? You may have 2 problems here. It sounds like you have a bad USB to RS232 cable that is not recognizing the HC and possibly a communication problem between your HC to the mount.

Recheck the HC to mount connections. You could have a bad RJ12 connector on the HC cable or a dirty socket on the mount. Try re-installing the driver for the USB to RS232 and try again. If the HC seems to be locked up, try pressing "Undo" repeatedly very fast.

Good luck,

Stan

#5 CharlesW

CharlesW

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Chula Vista & Indio, CA

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:52 AM

I ordered this USB/serial converter from Amazon, http://www.amazon.co...0_i00?ie=UTF..., it worked flawlessly on my Celestron HC. And cheap, too.

By the way, Goto accuracy has nothing to do with Polar aligning. Try and get oriented north as best you can, and check to see if you are set to Daylight savings time. That's a killer for pointing.

#6 wargrafix

wargrafix

Messenger

• -----

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:50 AM

Hi everyone, I am thankful for all your responses. I have a friend who has a known working serial to USB adapter. He will try to come by a little later or tomorrow In this situation, whats the first step to remedy this?

When I was able to navigate the menu, HC reads as 4.13 and MC reading 1.0 when it should be 5. something. I realize the MC firmware is a bit fubar

#7 orion61

orion61

Aurora

• Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:55 AM

God Luck we are pulling for you!

#8 wargrafix

wargrafix

Messenger

• -----

Posted 04 September 2013 - 11:24 AM

Thank you very much everyone. I am crossing my fingers. He told me its hard a hell to kill these things and most likely the binary fix process should work. I have an alternate plan to try to user a pc with a serial port (hard to find), and do the update from that. This has me worried as hell.

#9 stevew

stevew

Now I've done it

• -----
  • Loc: British Columbia Canada

Posted 04 September 2013 - 11:44 PM

Its very costly for me to ship to celeston as I am not in the states. Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't panic.
At worst you would have to ship the hand controller to Celestron, not the entire mount.

#10 *skyguy*

*skyguy*

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Western New York

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:00 AM

The usual problem is the USB - Serial converter. Try a Keyspan.

+1 ... The Keyspan USB to Serial converter always works for me ... on everything ... all the time. I wouldn't use any other brand!

#11 cn register 5

cn register 5

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:24 AM

Or something based on the FTDI chipset.

The Prolific one seems to have problems, I have one that mostly worked, until some Windows update, then although it still seemed to work for normal serial control it wouldn't work for HC updates. The FTDI one was fine.

Chris

#12 trw

trw

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:35 AM

When I had a similar problem, the only solution I found that worked was to switch to an older laptop running Windows XP. Not very technically adept, but it did work when the Win 7 machine would not. If your friend is bringing a known working adapter cable, have him bring the working computer, too!

#13 wargrafix

wargrafix

Messenger

• -----

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:14 AM

hi everyone. He will try to come over but he has a busy schedule. I can't find a keyspan to buy locally and to ship will take time. I tried again and am confused.

Here is the situation, I have the Advanced GT mount (CG5) and the connection to the pc occurs through the hand controller. I don't have the aux accessory kit. The instructions are clear that the hand controller must be disconnected before the programming can occur. Now this makes no sense since how will the mount get the command to begin processing?

What am I missing, or did the writers of celestron manuals hire chickens to proofread the instructions?

By the way, everyone here as been incredibly helpful, and very reassuring in this situation.

#14 trw

trw

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:04 AM

I have the same mount, and no, the hand controller is not disconnected, just turned off. The line from the computer is connected to the plug at the bottom of the hand controller. Try these instructions which may make it clearer for you. http://www.nexstarsi...wToVersion4.htm

#15 wargrafix

wargrafix

Messenger

• -----

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:22 AM

I think I am understanding a bit clearer. The issue is that the controller cannot be recognized as in programming mode. I hope its the cable and not the hand controller. How do you turn off the controller when updating the MC?

#16 trw

trw

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:32 AM

Sorry, I didn't mean that you could turn off the HC specifically, just turn off the power switch on the mount.

#17 wargrafix

wargrafix

Messenger

• -----

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:37 AM

so the mount has to be off while the update goes through?

#18 trw

trw

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:47 AM

No, what you do is turn off the mount, then be sure the cord from the computer is connected to the socket on the base of the hand controller. Then be sure the hand controller cable is connected to the mount. Then simultaneously hold down the Undo and Info buttons on the hand controller. With your other hand (you do have three hands, right?) turn on the mount power. Release the Undo and Info buttons and the hand controller display should now read "Transmit Data".Now click the "HCupdate" icon on the Windows desktop (Win XP or 7) and follow the instructions! We'll talk you through the rest if you need!

#19 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:50 AM

Please read the instructions for the Celestron updater app before you mess with it any more.

#20 trw

trw

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:52 AM

We're tryin', Uncle Rod!

#21 wargrafix

wargrafix

Messenger

• -----

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:59 AM

right now the mount is not with me so all this is discussion. While I know reading instructions on the updater app, the instructions aren't clear on stuff.

trw, the part that not working is the transmit data part comes on and I select the com port on the HC controller the next option is not available it tells me that the mount is still not in programming mode.

The MC update asks that the controller not be plugged in, not HC update

#22 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-
  • Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:26 AM

I sounds to me like there's an old version of MCupdate.exe or it's somehow confused about what type of mount or the version of the HC firmware it's talking to. (the MCUpdate is trying to run in the old pre v4.13 HC mode where it is expecting to talk directly to the MCs through another serial port on the mount - which the ASGT mount doesn't have).

Make sure you have up to date HCupdate.exe and MCupdate.exe files. You should just download them from the Celestron website, nowhere else. Celestron.com » Support Center » Downloads » Software

Remember that the version numbers on the .exe files are not related to the firmware in the HC or MCs. You'll be able to download the appropriate HC or MC firmware choices when you run the applications.

Perform a solid HC update first (just choose the latest gem4.21 version). This will prove out your USB-serial connection. Then go ahead and run the MCupdate ... it should no longer be asking for you to remove the HC.

#23 trw

trw

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:40 AM

OK, now I see where the confusion is. The instructions list three methods for connecting the computer and handset and it does sound like, reading method 3, that the handset should be disconnected. In your case, ignore method 3 and stick entirely with method 1, where the handset IS connected to both the computer and the mount. DO NOT, however, hold down the UNDO and INFO buttons when you turn on the power. When you select the MCUpdate software the hand controller will automatically be locked out. Those instructions are confusing.

#24 wargrafix

wargrafix

Messenger

• -----

Posted 05 September 2013 - 12:37 PM

I downloaded the software directly from the 9.25 update page so I know the MC and HC update is current.
Hand Control Firmware Updates v.1.1.14
Motor Control Firmware Updates v.2.2.5

I decided to buy a pci serial card and bypass serial to usb adapter. makes sense?

#25 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 05 September 2013 - 12:45 PM

right now the mount is not with me so all this is discussion. While I know reading instructions on the updater app, the instructions aren't clear on stuff.

trw, the part that not working is the transmit data part comes on and I select the com port on the HC controller the next option is not available it tells me that the mount is still not in programming mode.

The MC update asks that the controller not be plugged in, not HC update

Well, start back at square one and follow those instructions. Given your posts, it's not clear that you had the mount powered up and ready to go when you tried last time. ;)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics