• Please log in to reply
366 replies to this topic

#351 beatlejuice

beatlejuice

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Hamilton, ON,Canada

Posted 02 November 2014 - 01:03 PM

And what a great feature it is!  

There is only one minor change that I would like (and it may just be my preference, not sure).    Concerning searches for double stars.   When you limit the magnitude to a certain range it only applies to the primary.  It would be great if it applied to both stars so that, for instance, I don't get 13th mag companions when my range is set to 5th to 8 mag doubles.

Eric

Edited by beatlejuice, 02 November 2014 - 01:05 PM.

#352 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Simulation Curriculum

• Vendors
  • Loc: Longmont, CO, USA

Posted 02 November 2014 - 08:21 PM

Eric,

That is a good suggestion but I wonder how it would work in practice.  A large number of stars are multiple with 3 or more companions.  Do we say all stars in the system have to match the criterion?  Maybe if there are at least 2 stars that match, we should include it?  The latter sounds best to me.

#353 beatlejuice

beatlejuice

Surveyor 1

Posted 02 November 2014 - 09:39 PM

Yes, I did think about multiple systems but your suggestion of at least 2 stars matching the search criteria sounds like a pretty solid way to go if it can be done.

Eric

#354 Starman81

Starman81

Vanguard

• Moderators
  • Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA

Posted 07 November 2014 - 12:21 AM

I have a question about SkySafari 4 Pro version... How deep (magnitude) does it go on stars? I see in the info that there are 25 million stars in the catalog compared to the 2.5 million in my SkySafari Plus and that version I could only go to mag 13.2.

#355 johnpd

johnpd

Messenger

• -----

Posted 07 November 2014 - 03:44 AM

I have a question about SkySafari 4 Pro version... How deep (magnitude) does it go on stars? I see in the info that there are 25 million stars in the catalog compared to the 2.5 million in my SkySafari Plus and that version I could only go to mag 13.2.

The max you can set it to is 15.5.

JohnD

#356 btschumy

btschumy

• Vendors

Posted 07 November 2014 - 09:03 AM

This version comparison page should answer all you questions.

http://www.skysafari...i/versions.html

#357 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Prescott, AZ

Posted 08 November 2014 - 03:22 AM

Those extra stars can come in handy if you are chasing really faint fuzzies.

#358 Starman81

Starman81

Vanguard

• Moderators

Posted 08 November 2014 - 06:42 PM

The max you can set it to is 15.5.

JohnD

This version comparison page should answer all you questions.

http://www.skysafari...i/versions.html

Thanks John and Bill. Due to these advantages over the Plus version, I think I will eventually get the Pro version:

- Higher Star Magnitude Limit
- High Resolution (1024 x 768) Object Images
- Complete General Catalog of Variable Stars

- Galactic ("Milky Way") Sky Charts --> not sure what this is though

#359 Starman81

Starman81

Vanguard

• Moderators

Posted 08 November 2014 - 06:45 PM

Those extra stars can come in handy if you are chasing really faint fuzzies.

That too but the faint DSOs in the Plus version go well beyond what I can see in my scope! The real reason I want fainter stars is that I am an avid Open Cluster observer and would like to see the fainter stars that I am seeing in my scope in SkySafari. 

#360 btschumy

btschumy

• Vendors

Posted 10 November 2014 - 08:56 AM

The Galactic coordinate system has the plane of the Galaxy running horizontally across the chart and the y coordinate shows the angle off the galactic plane where the object is found.  It is useful to help understand where in the galaxy an object is located.

#361 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 29 November 2014 - 02:19 PM

Any plans to expand the observing list building capabilities?  

It'd be great to have a "List Building Wizard" that let you set filters by target type, magnitude range, degrees above horizon, location, date, time, etc., and then pull all targets meeting the criteria into a list instantly.  The current method of using Search and then adding searched targets to the list is slow and cumbersome.  Adding advanced list generation capabilities also would make Sky Safari a suitable replacement for laptop based tools like Astro Planner and Sky Tools 3.

Purely selfish on my part, of course.  My plan is to use Sky Safari with Sky Fi as me sole means of controlling a new Temma 2 Takahashi mount coming my way.   :grin:

- Jim

Jim,

Unless i I misunderstand you, this is already in SkySafari 4.  We have added an Advanced Search feature that lets you find a list of objects that match various criteria such as you described.  Then just tap the Make Observing List. Button at the bottom and you have it.

Bill

Maybe it's a workflow ignorance thing on my end, Bill, but I can't seem to efficiently filter a class of objects, say "Double Stars", that are above the horizon on a given night at my site, by separation and magnitude deltas, to quickly build a list.  Let's say that I want all Doubles visible between 10pm and 1am tonight in Petaluma, that are brighter than magnitude 11, have a system A:B magnitude delta of no more than 3 magnitudes, and a separation of between 2" and 8".  How would I build that observing list in SS4?

- Jim

#362 StarCurious

StarCurious

Explorer 1

• Loc: York Region, Ontario

Posted 30 November 2014 - 10:19 AM

Bill, May I suggest for your review or consideration a feature wish list in the FOV Pop Up on the top right display? Currently this shows 180°, 90°, 45°, 20° on the first row, and on the second row, 10° followed by three boxes with the FOV of a selected view finder or eyepiece for the next three, each with Ring On-Off in the boxes below them. I find that I go to Settings and change the Display entries too frequently as I try out various eyepiece combinations based on the target object, in order to determine which eyepiece frames each object best. 1. Would it be possible to turn the 10° (or even the 180° - 20° boxes) into a pull down list of FOV's or View Finder Selector? 2. For the three eyepiece FOV's, can these be turned into eyepiece selector buttons? Thanks, Joseph

#363 beatlejuice

beatlejuice

Surveyor 1

Posted 30 November 2014 - 01:24 PM

"Bill

Maybe it's a workflow ignorance thing on my end, Bill, but I can't seem to efficiently filter a class of objects, say "Double Stars", that are above the horizon on a given night at my site, by separation and magnitude deltas, to quickly build a list.  Let's say that I want all Doubles visible between 10pm and 1am tonight in Petaluma, that are brighter than magnitude 11, have a system A:B magnitude delta of no more than 3 magnitudes, and a separation of between 2" and 8".  How would I build that observing list in SS4?

- Jim"

You can not specify a magnitude delta (which would be a nice addition in the future) but you can pretty well do everything else with careful planning of your inputs for altitude and RA.   Even if you are not careful any object in your list that is not above the horizon at your observing time and location will be greyed out.

Eric

#364 jackofalltrades

jackofalltrades

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 30 November 2014 - 06:08 PM

- Jim

Though it might seem a bit laborious and redundant, I accomplish this by building all my lists (with filters as you mention above) in SkyTools 3 and then exporting the list to SkySafari.  Of course, very seldom does every object in the list import well into SkySafari (and the worst are stars, whether doubles or variables); nothing major, usually it's due to nothing more than either differing Primary ID's or Primary Catalog Identifiers, or such; and that's where the laborious part comes in, having to manually check and add the missing items.  This is the only sure and reliable way I've found to do what you're looking for Jim, and it can be a headache at times, especially for double and variable stars, but it is possible.

#365 dotnet

dotnet

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 30 November 2014 - 10:42 PM

Very specific double-star related searches like in Jim's example are possible using the stelledoppie.goaction.it website, which can then export the results as a Sky Safari observing list  :waytogo:

Cheers

Steffen.

#366 btschumy

btschumy

• Vendors

Posted 01 December 2014 - 09:58 AM

Maybe it's a workflow ignorance thing on my end, Bill, but I can't seem to efficiently filter a class of objects, say "Double Stars", that are above the horizon on a given night at my site, by separation and magnitude deltas, to quickly build a list.  Let's say that I want all Doubles visible between 10pm and 1am tonight in Petaluma, that are brighter than magnitude 11, have a system A:B magnitude delta of no more than 3 magnitudes, and a separation of between 2" and 8".  How would I build that observing list in SS4?

Jim,

As others have explained, you can't filter by magnitude delta.  Right now the magnitude field will apply to the primary star.  Unfortunately this can return hits where the primary is bright and the secondary is really dim.  We are going to be making a change such that both components (or at least two of a multi star system) need to meet the criterion for it to be a hit.

The Advanced search is not a full blown planing program.  It really isn't a replacement for something like Astroplanner.  You cannot filter by range of times, but you can get pretty close by restricting the range of RAs.

• jackofalltrades likes this

#367 btschumy

btschumy

• Vendors

Posted 01 December 2014 - 10:00 AM

Bill, May I suggest for your review or consideration a feature wish list in the FOV Pop Up on the top right display? Currently this shows 180°, 90°, 45°, 20° on the first row, and on the second row, 10° followed by three boxes with the FOV of a selected view finder or eyepiece for the next three, each with Ring On-Off in the boxes below them. I find that I go to Settings and change the Display entries too frequently as I try out various eyepiece combinations based on the target object, in order to determine which eyepiece frames each object best. 1. Would it be possible to turn the 10° (or even the 180° - 20° boxes) into a pull down list of FOV's or View Finder Selector? 2. For the three eyepiece FOV's, can these be turned into eyepiece selector buttons? Thanks, Joseph

If you submit this suggestion to "skysafari@skysafariastronomy.com" it will help us keep track of it.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics