Bill Paolini's book on EP's is out!

• Please log in to reply
156 replies to this topic

#1 Jim Curry

Jim Curry

Surveyor 1

• Loc: STL

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:33 AM

Available from a variety of sources, Springer, Amazon and I assume will be available elsewhere.

Jim
PS: Choosing and Using Astronomical Eyepieces

#2 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NC

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:42 AM

So what's the name of the book??

#3 BJS

BJS

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: NW Ohio

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:49 AM

REC

Choosing and Using Astronomical Eyepieces (The Patrick Moore Practical Astronomy Series).

Brian

#4 desertlens

desertlens

Viking 1

• Loc: 36°N 105°W

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:05 AM

Order placed... Thanks Bill... and thanks to Jim for the heads up.

#5 Starman81

Starman81

Surveyor 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:13 AM

Nice book, I hope to pick it up someday.

Interesting choice of eyepieces on the front cover... Astro-Physics SPL, Pentax XO 5mm, GSO 2.5x barlow and Smart Astronomy Plossl 6mm. No TeleVue eyepieces? Not even one Pentax XW there? I guess he had to do that to remain impartial. We all know he loves them (XWs) too. :ubetcha:

#6 ibase

ibase

Aurora

• Loc: Manila, Philippines 121*E 14*N

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:48 AM

Bill's EP book will be a fine addition to the book collection, congrats!

P.S. Here's a link to sample pages from Amazon of Bill's new EP book, click here.

Best,

#7 BillP

BillP

Voyager 1

• Loc: Vienna, VA

Posted 05 September 2013 - 12:10 PM

Nice book, I hope to pick it up someday.

Interesting choice of eyepieces on the front cover... Astro-Physics SPL, Pentax XO 5mm, GSO 2.5x barlow and Smart Astronomy Plossl 6mm. No TeleVue eyepieces? Not even one Pentax XW there? I guess he had to do that to remain impartial. We all know he loves them (XWs) too. :ubetcha:

I agree...interesting choice. The photo I submitted for the front cover, which of course had TV and the other major prominent brands was rejected and a photo from the inside of the book was chosen instead. The Publisher has final control over most things. But brand issues aside, I still like the overall look of the front cover. :grin:

#8 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NC

Posted 05 September 2013 - 12:25 PM

Wow, just looked at a sample page and he must have over 200 EP's that he has commented on. I loved his last shootout on the 24mm range!

Congratulations Bill!

#9 Hothersale

Hothersale

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Victoria, BC

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:05 PM

Wow, looks fantastic, Bill!

A few minutes ago, EVERY page in the book was available to preview on Amazon.ca, but now most of the pages have been restricted. (I may have noticed an error on Page 18 -- the WO UWAN AFOV listed as 20 degrees -- but I can't see that page anymore so I can't be sure. Might want to double check that, Bill.)

#10 John Anthony

John Anthony

Viking 1

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:18 PM

Just ordered my copy, looks like great reading, I know I'll learn something. :jump: :jump:

#11 Manish

Manish

Vendor (AGENA AstroProducts)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles Area, CA

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:27 PM

>>A few minutes ago, EVERY page in the book was available to preview on Amazon.ca, but now most of the pages have been restricted.

Here's how it works on Amazon. When you first open up the preview, all pages are available to you. You can hence pretty much jump to any section of the book to explore. But after you've been there for a few minutes, Amazon starts locking up pages (for you only). Spend a few more additional minutes and over 75% of any book will become restricted. After all, they don't want to allow everyone to read all pages online and not purchase the book.

Regards,
Manish
www.AgenaAstro.com

#12 Hothersale

Hothersale

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Victoria, BC

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:43 PM

>>A few minutes ago, EVERY page in the book was available to preview on Amazon.ca, but now most of the pages have been restricted.

Here's how it works on Amazon. When you first open up the preview, all pages are available to you. You can hence pretty much jump to any section of the book to explore. But after you've been there for a few minutes, Amazon starts locking up pages (for you only). Spend a few more additional minutes and over 75% of any book will become restricted. After all, they don't want to allow everyone to read all pages online and not purchase the book.

Regards,
Manish
www.AgenaAstro.com

I learn something new every day! Thanks, Manish.

#13 Rick M.

Rick M.

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:26 PM

Strangely, the Canadian arm of Amazon (amazon.ca) only has the Kindle version available now and it is necessary to wait until next April for the paperback version.

Rick

#14 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:54 PM

I'm most anxious to get a copy! :jump:

#15 astronomylife

astronomylife

Messenger

• Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, California, US

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:06 PM

A few minutes ago, EVERY page in the book was available to preview on Amazon.ca, but now most of the pages have been restricted. (I may have noticed an error on Page 18 -- the WO UWAN AFOV listed as 20 degrees -- but I can't see that page anymore so I can't be sure. Might want to double check that, Bill.)

Just checked my copy and the UWAN is listed as 20 degrees.

#16 Don Taylor

Don Taylor

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: South Kansas

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:15 PM

just ordered a copy!!!! :jump:

#17 johnnyha

johnnyha

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:36 AM

Congrats and good luck Bill!

#18 kkokkolis

kkokkolis

Vanguard

• Moderators
  • Loc: Piraeus, Greece

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:46 AM

Ordered. I might wait for almost for a month before I get it. on the other hand, it will reach me just about the time the sky gets cloudy again and that's not bad.

#19 vahe

vahe

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Houston, Texas

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:21 AM

I hate to be the skeptic, but any astronomy book that deals with currently produced products will be outdated in short order, Phil Harrington Star Ware is just one example of such effort, books simply can not compete with Internet, unless the author is planning on continuous updates to keep up with the newer offerings.

Vahe

#20 t.r.

t.r.

Skylab

• Loc: 1123,6536,5321

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:51 AM

I think the premise of Bill's book is as an eyepiece "primer" not a buyer's guide that will go out of date, illustrating that this oft-overlooked part of the optical chain really has as much merit as the optics in the scope themselves...a philosophy to which I subscribe. :bow: I think by "Choosing" the title implies the type more than the brand and "Using" certainly draws emphasis toward how those types perform at various purposes. ;)

#21 David E

David E

Aurora

• Loc: North Carolina

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:59 AM

I hate to be the skeptic, but any astronomy book that deals with currently produced products will be outdated in short order,...

Vahe

True, but this book is really not a clone of "Star Ware."
Bill comprehensively covers all subjects related (and maybe some unrelated) to eyepieces. Many things about eyepieces will never change: the laws of optics for example.

#22 David E

David E

Aurora

• Loc: North Carolina

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:08 AM

I hate to be the skeptic, but any astronomy book that deals with currently produced products will be outdated in short order,...

Vahe

True, but this book is really not a clone of "Star Ware."
Bill comprehensively covers all subjects related (and maybe some unrelated) to eyepieces. Many things about eyepieces will never change: the laws of optics for example.

One more thing: although there are professional astronomers out there, astronomy has been and always will be about us amateurs. There is no other field of science I can think of where amateurs contribute so much. That fact is summed up on the back cover. (You can read that on Amazon.com.) In fact, many people from this very forum have contributed to Bill's effort in one way or another, directly or indirectly.

edit: removed what probably would be a TOS violation.

#23 FirstSight

FirstSight

Duke of Deneb

• Moderators
  • Loc: Raleigh, NC

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:53 AM

I hate to be the skeptic, but any astronomy book that deals with currently produced products will be outdated in short order, Phil Harrington Star Ware is just one example of such effort, books simply can not compete with Internet, unless the author is planning on continuous updates to keep up with the newer offerings.

Vahe

Dickinson and Dyer's "The Backyard Astronomer's Guide" proves that it is possible to approach writing about astronomical equipment in a manner that is durably useful and valuable, despite the progressive accumulation of new equipment offerings since publication of its last edition. The current state of telescopic eyepieces is especially suitable for being presented in a durably useful way. This is in part because the current state of the art is hitting up against some fundamental limits, for example in how far AFOV can be extended without creating unmanageable bulk or edge aberrations (to say nothing of enormous ramp-up in expense). Improvements in coating technology from this point on will be more incremental than fundamental. Creating complex widefield eyepeices with light transmission, sharpness, and minimization of aberrations approaching extremely close to that of "simpler" limited AFOV glass is an established achievement at this point (Not close enough for Brandon or ortho purists, but more than close enough, negligibly close for the tastes of a great many others). There really hasn't been any truly revolutionary eyepiece developments since TeleVue's Ethos, followed up by the almost-as-good but much-less-expensive (and plenty good enough for many people's tastes) Explore Scientific eyepieces. In short, unless there is a massive unforeseen switch-over to electronic eyepieces/video astronomy in the next five to ten years, the information in Bill Paolini's book will likely remain a useful reference, even if new modest variants of existing eyepiece designs come out, just as Dickenson/Dyer's "Backyard Astronomer's Guide" remains a useful well of information, even though there's nominally a lot of new stuff since the last edition.

I do agree that the majority of astronomical equipment books are written with an approach that does too-quickly date the usefulness of information contained therein, and that it takes skill and quite a bit of thoughtfulness to write a book whose information is durably valuable even against the constant evolution of fresh internet sources. I'm simply pointing out by example that it IS possible to to write such a book about astro equipment; we'll just have to see over time the extent to which Bill Paolini has succeeded in doing so with his new book.

#24 BillP

BillP

Voyager 1

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:34 AM

I think the premise of Bill's book is as an eyepiece "primer" not a buyer's guide that will go out of date, illustrating that this oft-overlooked part of the optical chain really has as much merit as the optics in the scope themselves...a philosophy to which I subscribe. :bow: I think by "Choosing" the title implies the type more than the brand and "Using" certainly draws emphasis toward how those types perform at various purposes. ;)

The title is more or less a restricted (or strongly suggested) item by the publisher as it needs to fit within the constraints of their series. I personally feel that there are things which will never change or go out of date as they have to do with history or formulas on how things work and how they are perceived when viewing (like how AFOV and TFOV affects the view), and then the desk reference section which lists over 200 popular current and discontinued lines with their data tables, marketing claims, and association with other similar performing lines so the user can look at one line and have instant reference to what other of the 200+ listed perform in the same class (the buyers guide aspect of the book). So this buyers guide will go out of date, but given how fast the market seems to be slugging along these days, not significantly. I would say that maybe at the 3 or 4 year point it will be time to update the work documenting the new lines that have come available. My hope is that the book will get enough traction so that the publisher will want to do second printings and such to keep it updated with the market.

#25 BillP

BillP

Voyager 1

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:36 AM

Unfortunately, no review is perfect so sure there will be a few glitches here and there. As people find them, please do send me a personal message so I can get them all documented for corrections.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics