Photo

Key to 60s Questar

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Starsareus

Starsareus

Sputnik

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:23 AM

I have a nice Baby Questar with the leather case & accessories, but NO Key! They no longer sell this key. Can anyone send an image of one to have one make?

#2 wormstar

wormstar

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Central Ct

Posted 05 September 2013 - 12:46 PM

If they are still the same, i probably have an extra set. Anyone know if the key is the same on all case??

#3 Billydee

Billydee

Viking 1

• Loc: Winter Haven, FL

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:34 PM

Any large lock & key shop can make one in 5 minutes. I think all case keys were the same. Call Jim R at Questar and he may have a used key from an old case.

Bill

#4 JREnglar

JREnglar

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: North Vancouver, BC, Canada

Posted 12 September 2014 - 02:27 AM

I have a nice Baby Questar with the leather case & accessories, but NO Key! They no longer sell this key. Can anyone send an image of one to have one make?

I know this is a year old thread but I very recently purchased a 1964 3.5" Standard Questar and went through the same search. My local locksmiths didn't have the correct blank and if they did - then how to cut it to the correct shape?  Digging through an old bag of keys I had I found a key to a leather attaché case I'd used in university 45 years ago and it was the same maker (Cheney) as the lock on the Questar case and, most importantly, the key worked fine!  

A few days after that I was neatening things up in the Questar case and refolding the power cord.  Something was preventing the folded cord from going all the way into its pocket. I ended up fishing out a small plastic bag containing not only two original case keys but also the small Bristol wrench (most of us call them star wrenches locally) that has been referred to on the forum. 

So the moral is to check the bottoms of the power cord and tripod leg pockets - you never know!

Let me know if you still need a picture of the key. 

JR

#5 munirocks

munirocks

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bourne End, UK

Posted 12 September 2014 - 04:07 AM

A more extreme option is the replace the locks. Some saddleries and shoe/key shops will replace broken locks on briefcases and luggage. 

I think a close-up picture of the key next to a ruler would be a useful public reference, JR, if you can manage it. 

(Delegating work to other people is such fun. :grin:  )

#6 JREnglar

JREnglar

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 12 September 2014 - 07:14 PM

A more extreme option is the replace the locks. Some saddleries and shoe/key shops will replace broken locks on briefcases and luggage. 

I think a close-up picture of the key next to a ruler would be a useful public reference, JR, if you can manage it. 

I'll try and get a picture up in the next day or so. 

JR

#7 JREnglar

JREnglar

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 12 September 2014 - 10:27 PM

I'll try and get a picture up in the next day or so. 

JR

Hopefully this works.

Attached File  Questar Keys with Ruler 1.jpg   94.92KB   3 downloads

JR

Edited by JREnglar, 12 September 2014 - 10:29 PM.

#8 munirocks

munirocks

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bourne End, UK

Posted 13 September 2014 - 12:19 AM

A google search for "spare key Cheney 30 England" turns up a few sources, some with pictures that look like the same key. However, I don't know if Questar always used the same lock. If your latch looks like the one in JR's picture then it looks like you might be in luck. 

Edit: Thanks for the pic JR, and including a pic of both sides of the key as well as the lock was a good call.

Edited by munirocks, 13 September 2014 - 12:23 AM.

#9 Billydee

Billydee

Viking 1

• Loc: Winter Haven, FL

Posted 13 September 2014 - 03:43 PM

JR,

Looks like the Questar case lock only uses the two tumblers at the extreme end of the key and tat the rest of the key does is not needed any key shop should be able to match this if shown this picture.

Thanks, Bill

#10 JREnglar

JREnglar

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 13 September 2014 - 09:19 PM

JR,

Looks like the Questar case lock only uses the two tumblers at the extreme end of the key and tat the rest of the key does is not needed any key shop should be able to match this if shown this picture.

Thanks, Bill

Bill,

I agree. These locks were usually pretty simple. The key from my old 45 year old attaché case (haven't seen the case for 20+ years) is different at the top but identical at the extreme end (other than it has a "v" notch rather than the "square" notch shown above) and it works fine as well.  Interestingly it also has Cheney #30 on it as well. 

Cheers,

JR

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics