M27 from Los Angeles

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 AlexxxAA

AlexxxAA

Explorer 1

• Loc: Downey, CA

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:45 PM

Hi everyone. So I finally managed to get out of apartment living and move into a house with my wife. That means I actually have my own yard space to set up the beasts! So after a year, I finally took an hour last night to set up the LightBridge and check out of few things. Mostly around the zenith since I didn't have all my leveling tools.

So in the excitement I decided to also try a sketch after so long. M27 would be a nice, bright, easy target. But to my surprise, even with the 12", the Dumbell was very faint due to the horrible light pollution here in LA, particularly bad being a weekday... I tried the UHC filter, but with very little improvement. On the other hand, the oxygen filter made a huge difference. Even all the nebulosity around the apple-core was very noticeable.

Hope you guys enjoy the sketch. I think I did a little too much emphasis on the apple-core. And there should have been a few more faint stars in the view but I was running out of time being a weeknight.

Suggestions for improvement are welcome. Thanks for looking guys.

Attached Files

#2 PeterDob

PeterDob

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Castelnovo ne' Monti, Italy

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:04 PM

Dear Alex, I don't have any suggestions because your sketch is lovely as it is. I also don't think you overdid the "apple core" because it rally is so much brighter than the "wings". Very well done, especially give the circumstances. If I do have to suggest something, why don't you try to elaborate it a bit on the pc? I mean, inverting it and really make it look like you're staring through your eyepiece?

Cheers,

Peter

#3 AlexxxAA

AlexxxAA

Explorer 1

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:03 PM

Thank you so much Peter for the kind words.
Hopefully from now on I'll try to push the limits of where I live and draw obscure objects that people don't usually post. Last night was just a test sketch to get my gears going.
I think there is a software I'm missing on my phone to be able to invert the image. I've done it before, and hopefully from now on all my posts will be as such. And hopefully one day I'll be able to do great sketches such as yours! :bow:

#4 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:20 PM

Hi Alex,

As is simply inverted it looks like this.
It however looks great as drawn.

Frank

Attached Files

#5 AlexxxAA

AlexxxAA

Explorer 1

Posted 06 September 2013 - 11:08 PM

Thanks Frank! That looks WAY better! Very very close to what I saw in the eyepiece :grin:

#6 Randolph Jay

Randolph Jay

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: South Huntington, NY, USA

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:24 AM

Both versions of the sketch are great. I keep both versions of a sketch in a photo album ( I print the negative version ).
Alex, I've also recently gone from an apartment to a house ( but I've lived in two other houses some years ago ) and I have to deal with a light polluted sky since I live 35 miles east of Manhattan. On a very dry night I can see the brighter parts of the milky way when it is over head but very washed out looking. But it's still amazing what you can see with a decent telescope, and sketching really does make you a better observer since it requires you to tease out as much detail as you can. Thanks for sharing your sketch!
Randolph

#7 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Hove, Belgium

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:58 AM

"Bright skies aren't empty skies" (James Mallaney)

Keep up the good work!

#8 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Gemini

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 07 September 2013 - 12:51 PM

Alex,

Very nice capture of the M-27 :).

CS,KLU,

:thanx:,

Tom

#9 AlexxxAA

AlexxxAA

Explorer 1

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:01 PM

Thanks Randolph, Jef, Tom.
Hopefully I'll be posting alot more sketches from now on.

#10 WadeVC

WadeVC

Mercury-Atlas

• ****-
  • Loc: Lodi, California,

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:39 AM

Alex, I think it is just fine. You did a good job sketching what you saw, and no one can be asked to do more than that.

On a side note: I feel for ya about the LP. It has gotten TERRIBLE where I am too. In 3 years I went from being able to see the Milky Way to now just primary stars.

#11 AlexxxAA

AlexxxAA

Explorer 1

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:03 AM

Thanks Wade!
It's gonna be tough with this horrible light pollution. But there's always something hidden in there. Just gotta push my eyes and telescope to the limit ;)

#12 shortbread13

shortbread13

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles County, CA

Posted 09 September 2013 - 03:17 PM

Wow! Very nice!

You have a larger telescope but I have hope that as I learn the sky better I will be able to see beyond the planets.

The light pollution is too bad, especially for you Wade, as you can see things change...sadly I've been too used it here. Alex's sketch gives me a little hope!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics