Photo

ARRRRRGH!!! **ANOTHER** CLOUDY WEEKEND!!!!!

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 dpippel

dpippel

Apollo

• Loc: Desierto de Sonora

Posted 07 September 2013 - 10:35 AM

I'm a patient person, really I am, but ONCE AGAIN any chance of weekend observing has been scuttled by the persistent monsoon!!!! Clouds and rain in the forecast through the middle of next week!!! I feel like I'm living in some sort of hot, humid, alternate reality version of Seattle. With saguaros. It's literally been over 2 MONTHS now since I've been able to get out under the stars with my C11. I'm done with the clouds! Finished! Caput! Uncontrollable, bug-eyed maniacal laughter is right around the corner for me if this *BLEEP* doesn't let up soon...

:tonofbricks:

MAKE IT STOP!!!!

Sorry. Had to vent. :bawling:

#2 edwinh

edwinh

Vostok 1

• Loc: Chandler AZ

Posted 07 September 2013 - 10:53 AM

I *HATE* this. Been a bad summer in AZ for sure.

I have a new C102 I had out *one* night, plus a couple of one-hour duck-the-clouds sessions that were not very satisfying at all. I got a used XX12g last month and it has not seen first light at all yet!!! Aaaaaaaaa. We moved to a new house in May partially to be a bit less under the PHX light dome, lots of good its done me so far.

Best I have been able to do is binoculars in my zero gravity chair for an hour while camping in the White Mountains. But even that was just holes in the clouds.

How many more nights can I sit and rearrange my eyepieces or watch useless TV???

#3 MarcF650R

MarcF650R

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Mississauga, Ontario

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:02 AM

Same here. But Sunday night might work. Right now it's continuous showers.

#4 Daniel Guzas

Daniel Guzas

Viking 1

• Loc: Bethlehem NH/ Boston MA

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:58 AM

It's the same up here up in NH. Clouded in for Saturday night. Last night was my chance but I was on the road... grrrrrrr!! And got in too tired and too late...

I feel your pain...

#5 dpippel

dpippel

Apollo

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:59 AM

Well, I'm sorry to hear that you guys are in the same boat weather-wise. Maybe we should start a support group...

"Hi. My name is Doug, and I've got a problem..."

;)

#6 DaveG

DaveG

Mariner 2

• Loc: Ohio

Posted 07 September 2013 - 12:09 PM

I know how you feel. It's been really bad here in Ohio as well. Every time I plan on going to our dark sky site with my brother, high cirrus clouds roll in at about 3:00 PM and stick around until well after midnight. It happens every time we plan on going. Very frustrating.....

#7 DavidC

DavidC

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Mesa, Arizona

Posted 07 September 2013 - 12:54 PM

I know the feeling, I went out last Wednesday under the Superstition Mountains, the clouds came and went, but I was able to get some good observing time in under the sky. Good observing weather is just around to corner. This is a good time to see what constellations are headed your way, go thru star charts, and stellarium and then update your observing lists for the fall. Want to flock your ota? Now is a great time to do that, it will improve the performance of your scope, you can learn the mechanics of your scope, and see how it goes together. And learn how to collimate it in depth too.
David

#8 dpippel

dpippel

Apollo

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:01 PM

I've exhausted all of the distraction-type activities available to me David. I'm ready to OBSERVE with my scope. The cloudiness here in AZ really has reached the point of being ridiculous. Glad to hear you were able to get in some decent viewing last week.

#9 DavidC

DavidC

Apollo

• -----

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:03 PM

dpipple, where in the Sonoran desert do you live? That's a big area. If you're somewhere in the Arizona deserts, like Phoenix, Tempe or Mesa, I'd like to invite you to the All Arizona Star Party on the first weekend of October 4th and 5th, sponsored by the East Valley Astronomy Club. It's about 90 miles west of Phoenix off I-10, at the Antennas observing site. Go to www.evaconline.org for more info.
David

#10 dpippel

dpippel

Apollo

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:13 PM

I'm your neighbor David - I live in downtown Phoenix in the FQ Story district. Thanks for the info on the event. I've been out to Hovatter Road a couple of times (although I prefer Sentinel in that general neck of the woods) and may show up if my somewhat surly attitude has dissipated by then. ;)

#11 DavidC

DavidC

Apollo

• -----

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:17 PM

I'm crossing my fingers and not buying new stuff either, that it will be a clear weekend. These pesky monsoons are usually done by the end of September.

#12 dpippel

dpippel

Apollo

Posted 08 September 2013 - 11:55 AM

In an act of desperation and rebellion, I loaded up the C80 and the binocs yesterday afternoon then headed out to Hovatter Rd. *hoping* that the clouds would break here and there. I figured that there HAD to be the occasional clear spot, right? Wrong. The cloud deck rolled in as I headed west on I-10 and by the time I reached the towers it was practically overcast. It wasn't a complete disappointment though - the sunset was absolutely GORGEOUS! I also managed to catch a few fleeting glimpses of the waxing crescent Moon through a couple of temporary gaps in the gloom. The gnats were out in force so I didn't linger for more than a couple of hours before admitting yet ANOTHER evening of defeat.

But, silver lining, right? Behold the unretouched beauty of our star slipping below the horizon...

Attached Files

#13 DavidC

DavidC

Apollo

• -----

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:45 PM

Well, at least you got to see a nice sunset out west in your travels. Officially the monsoon is supposed to end on the 15th......but we'll see. I'm kind of pessimistic on that date the weather people have come up with.

#14 Starlon

Starlon

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: desert, USA

Posted 08 September 2013 - 11:50 PM

Monsoons can linger into early October - this last soaking thanks to TS Lorena.. "PHOENIX (CBS5) - http://kpho.memberce...sible-as-sto...

Tropical moisture linked to a dying tropical storm off the coast of Baja Mexico may trigger areas of heavy rain and localized flooding through Tuesday, CBS 5 meteorologists said." And: ..scattered showers and thunderstorms through Tuesday.. Tropical depression Lorena is expected to stall near central Baja California later Sunday. As it weakens to a remnant low pressure system, it will spin off moisture into the desert Southwest.. With the additional clouds and better rain chances, high temperatures will only top out in the 90s through midweek, although it will feel rather humid by Arizona standards".

"Warmer temperatures return by the end of the week."

At least it will be cooler, only in the 90s!! That's a good 10-12 degrees below normal for early Sept. But all this moisture is sure to kick up the mosquito action - and bring the scorpions up out of the ground.. :shocked:

Remember the good old days when the monsoon rainstorms would
build up, then we'd get a storm - then it would quickly clear up and we'd be done with it for a couple two, three days?? Come on November!! Warm sunny days and mild, clear nights.

#15 MarcF650R

MarcF650R

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Mississauga, Ontario

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:51 AM

Once again skies over Southern Ontario were a mixed bag of high altitude clouds and clear moments....but still, lots of promises and dashed hopes.

But I did get a nice pick of the moon and Venus.

Attached Files

#16 WesC

WesC

Vanguard

• Loc: La Crescenta, CA

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:58 PM

That's about how my skies have looked for the last few weeks. Seems clear right up until it gets dark... then the high wispy stuff floats in and with all the LP here they light up like floating lamps... even the binocs have a hard time.

Ah well... :/

#17 Dan Finnerty

Dan Finnerty

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Pasadena, CA

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:54 PM

That's about how my skies have looked for the last few weeks. Seems clear right up until it gets dark... then the high wispy stuff floats in and with all the LP here they light up like floating lamps... even the binocs have a hard time.

Ah well... :/

Been a miserable observing summer in the southwest US. I wonder how Jim Barnett's road trip if faring?

From my cottage at Big Bear, California

Attached Files

#18 lintonius

lintonius

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: south-central Utah

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:51 AM

Been a miserable observing summer in the southwest US. I wonder how Jim Barnett's road trip if faring?

Nice photo, Dan!

The monsoons have resumed, but we had several nice nights here in southern Utah last week, so I'm thinking Jim & Co. had similar luck at Chaco. We'll soon find out.
I may be swinging through there briefly myself in a few days.
Linton

#19 dpippel

dpippel

Apollo

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:08 AM

Very nice image Dan!

#20 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:49 AM

Try having absolutely beautiful clear skies night after night for the past 12 weeks, & not being able to observe because of a fractured vertebrae. :bawling:

Attached Files

#21 hm insulators

hm insulators

Aurora

• -----

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:11 AM

Well, I'm sorry to hear that you guys are in the same boat weather-wise. Maybe we should start a support group...

"Hi. My name is Doug, and I've got a problem..."

;)

"Hi, Doug!" Sounds like a meeting of "Men Anonymous" on the "Red Green Show." Now for the men's prayer:

"I'm a man, but I can change if I have to...I guess."

This past weekend and Monday were really rainy in Phoenix, so much so that yesterday, at least one street passing under the I-17 had flooding more than halfway up to the bottom of the bridge carrying the freeway.

Awful lot of people in the area are buying new telescopes, I suppose.

#22 hm insulators

hm insulators

Aurora

• -----

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:16 AM

Try having absolutely beautiful clear skies night after night for the past 12 weeks, & not being able to observe because of a fractured vertebrae. :bawling:

Ouch! Hope that gets better soon!

#23 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:14 AM

It looks like it will be several more months. At least if it was cloudy, I wouldn't feel quite so bad. :p

#24 dpippel

dpippel

Apollo

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:48 PM

Ouch! Very sorry to hear that Carol! I hope you're on the mend and back in the saddle so to speak really soon.

Where in Montana are you? Got a sister in Bozeman and generally visit a few times a year. It's a beautiful state.

#25 dpippel

dpippel

Apollo

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:49 PM

"Hi, Doug!" Sounds like a meeting of "Men Anonymous" on the "Red Green Show." Now for the men's prayer:

"I'm a man, but I can change if I have to...I guess."

This past weekend and Monday were really rainy in Phoenix, so much so that yesterday, at least one street passing under the I-17 had flooding more than halfway up to the bottom of the bridge carrying the freeway.

Awful lot of people in the area are buying new telescopes, I suppose.

:roflmao:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics