stick with the cat or go refract ??

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 darren8se

darren8se

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:17 AM

Hi since getting my 8se I've been getting more and more interested in splitting Doubles and im underway with the AL Double star list ...

I've recently been thinking about Refractor scopes as I read or misread that they are the most suitable scope for splitting doubles ..so my question would be do I swap out for a good 6" F5 refractor or stick with the 8se ?

once I've done the AL list I would like to get into astrometry with an astrometric eyepiece and have a go at some of the more challenging harder to split doubles ??
Darren

#2 brianb11213

brianb11213

Cosmos

• Loc: 55.215N 6.554W

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:49 AM

I've recently been thinking about Refractor scopes as I read or misread that they are the most suitable scope for splitting doubles ..so my question would be do I swap out for a good 6" F5 refractor or stick with the 8se ?

Well ... I don't think there is such a thing as a good 6" f/5 frac ... if you're talking high optical quality then for an apo you need f/8+ and you're takiling really serious amounts of money.

An ordinary 8" SCT will resolve at least as well as an ideal 6" refractor.

If I were you I'd look at upgrading the mount first ... the SE isn't the best by a long way & an 8" SCT tube is really too much for it ... for high power work (double stars) you really need stability & steadiness.

#3 R Botero

R Botero

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Kent, England

Posted 08 September 2013 - 06:23 AM

My take on it. It is true that a fast refractor is not best suited for double star observing but it is still a very versatile instrument, particularly if you are also into DSO observing and want a portable instrument without having to worry much about cooling down time and collimation.
I have had in the past a Teleskop-Service 6" f/5.9 refractor and used it for double star observing to some extent and I would thoroughly recommend it. I believe it is sold under another brand in North America (Ed Ting reviewed one a couple of years ago).
My AP triplet is much better than that fast achromat but the difference in price is certainly not in direct relation to what I could see given my average seeing conditions.
Just my opinion.
Roberto

#4 darren8se

darren8se

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 08 September 2013 - 06:54 AM

I had something like this in mind but if its not going to open up more doubles than I can already split with the 8SE then I may just stick with my scope ...
http://www.telescope...52-760-OTA.html

and yes an upgrade to my mount is on the cards too..
I am hoping later this year or early next year to upgrade to a HEQ6 GT mount

#5 Rich (RLTYS)

Rich (RLTYS)

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: New York (Long Island)

Posted 08 September 2013 - 06:57 AM

Stick with what you have.

Rich (RLTYS)

#6 darren8se

darren8se

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 08 September 2013 - 06:59 AM

ok so maybe I should be asking what scope would you guys recommend to upgrade to once ive gotten all I can split with the 8" sct with the idea that I would like to split more difficult and closer doubles ?

#7 buddyjesus

buddyjesus

Vanguard

• Loc: Davison, Michigan

Posted 08 September 2013 - 08:10 AM

I would stick with what you got. no harm in it. If you are interested in making position angle measurements, try looking for an equatorial wedge.

#8 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 08 September 2013 - 08:16 AM

I wouldn't bother with that refractor and definately not at f/5.
As Brian mentions F/8 is another story and it won't show more but it'll do what it does as good as it can possibly be.
Pete

#9 blb

blb

Skylab

• -----
  • Loc: Piedmont NC

Posted 08 September 2013 - 08:28 AM

ok so maybe I should be asking what scope would you guys recommend to upgrade to once ive gotten all I can split with the 8" sct with the idea that I would like to split more difficult and closer doubles ?

There are literaly thousands of double stars that are within reach of my 4-inch TV102 refractor and I know that many more can be seen with an 8-inch SCT, so just be happy and have fun looking. By the time you have looked at a few thousand doubles, you will probably know what telescope you would like to view through next. Join a club and look through other telescopes at club observations, public observations, and star parties. After a couple of years you will know what you need or wont.

#10 darren8se

darren8se

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 08 September 2013 - 08:32 AM

ok cheers guys I think ill stick with the 8se for now and just concentrate on splitting doubles instead of worring what scope I should be using :)
THANKS EVERYONE :)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics